Why not so much love by WIS? - Page 4
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Why not so much love by WIS?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Why not so much love by WIS?

I think my Longines is a great bang for the buck dress watch.Name:  IMG_0906 2.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  111.4 KB
    Simon and domayotte like this.

Longines slots into an important niche in the market, roughly midway between Tissot and Omega. Swiss quality, design and superb heritage for a price that is neither cheap nor eye-wateringly high. A sweet spot that suits me (and many others) just fine. Personally, I like that Longines flies under the radar to a certain extent.
    Simon and oztech like this.

Quote Originally Posted by b.watcher View Post
    Why a starting point? Why does it always have to be the goal to get more expensive watches when there are more reasonable priced ones that offer almost the same quality and sometimes even more advanced movements than the expensive ones (breitling and tag heuer are coming to mind)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
    That’s the fun of this hobby typically - the hunt. So being able to work towards more expensive pieces tends to become a natural progression; even if your grail is well beyond your means, it’s always fun to dream.

While I admire Longines and think they are criminally underrated, you are undoubtedly getting better quality from Rolex and Omega, two brands already mentioned in this thread. Is the difference in quality equivalent to the gap in price? No way. That’s where marketing and brand pedigree comes in I suppose. My Rolex 116000 was $4k more than my Tudor BB36- does the Tudor look or feel $4k less of a watch? No chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rolex 116000 - Blue "3,6,9" Arabic
    Tudor Black Bay 36
    Longines Heritage Conquest L1.411.4

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
    I think another factor is the proverbial "elephant in the room" that is the Swatch Group. Longines is owned and controlled by the Swatch Group and so it has to fit into their marketing hierarchy. Omega is the king of the hill at Swatch Group, even though they have even higher-end brands. But Omega has name recognition and represents a broadly more achievable luxury than, say, Jaquet Droz or Breguet. Swatch Group probably has enough on their hands competing against the likes of Rolex and TAG Heuer (I include the latter because it also has high name recognition). They don't want an internal competitor to Omega. That would be self-defeating to the bottom line. Going downmarket isn't really a solution either because they already have that saturated with Tissot, Hamilton, and Certina.

But think about the other Swatch Group brands in Longines price segment: Rado, Mido and Union Glashütte. Yeah, when was the last time you thought about any of them? Mido seems to be getting a bit more of a marketing push recently, at least here in Europe, but I can't imagine any of these three brands are exactly making bank. I'd imagine that Longines is probably the most profitable of the four. And I think this illustrates a fact that Swatch Group just doesn't seem to know what to do in this price segment. Or, at least, they don't know how to stand out. As others have mentioned what is an iconic Longines watch? But ask the same question about the other three brands. I can't think of an iconic Mido or Union Glashütte and Rado is more known for their use of materials than any particular watch. In fact, sometimes I have to remind myself that Union Glashütte even still exists.

So I think, for a lot of people, these brands sort of occupy a no-man's-land. Not expensive or exclusive enough to be "true luxury," but too expensive to be "great deals." But, for those of us who love the high quality and don't mind non-manufacture movements (I'll take inexpensiveness of service over the questionable merits of manufacture movements any day), these brands are just right.
    Agree with your analysis here... quite honestly, though it’s unlikely to happen, the best thing for Longines would be breakaway from Swatch. If they had the creative freedom and budget to do what they wanted, they’d be doing far better off. A lot of the pedestrian and boring design we see from Longines is in no doubt to try and flood the market at that price point.

Imagine if they focused solely on their heritage line, master collection, and flagship. Longines has all the know-how needed to build in-house movements and be a serious watchmaker. I suspect Swatch only gives them so much slack to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rolex 116000 - Blue "3,6,9" Arabic
    Tudor Black Bay 36
    Longines Heritage Conquest L1.411.4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information