Why not so much love by WIS?
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Why not so much love by WIS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why not so much love by WIS?

Hi all

bought my lovely 1967 reissue Heritage Chrono Diver yesterday
    absolutely love it - what a standout beauty

I owned a Master Hand Wound before and it was a classy watch but this is a wonderful thing
    beautifully made, great movement, with enviable historic pedigree

why is Longines not such a big deal with WIS on the Forums

I cant think of anything Swiss where quality n value combine like this

Name:  IMG_5629.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  1.31 MB
    myn5054, b.watcher and christam like this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Re: Why not so much love by WIS?

Those who know, KNOW !!!!
    b.watcher and Gepetto82 like this.

I will take a shot at a more in depth answer based on my own views. Longines is a mid-tier Swatch brand, nominally slotted somewhere between Hamilton and Omega.

Many people enter the hobby with lower end models from Tissot and/or Hamilton. They might be budget buyers at first but if they grow as a hobbyist, they are more likely to seek Omega as a first higher end luxury watch, skipping Longines in the process. I would expect that ADs are motivated to sell Omega at a higher transaction price and would lead customers there.

Secondly, much of Longines catalog is pretty pedestrian and boring. They hit it out of the park with their heritage lines but that style isn’t for everyone.

Thirdly, they use worked over ETA movements with brand specific designations like most Swatch brands. Nothing wrong with that but it doesn’t distinguish a more expensive Longines against a cheaper Hamilton or Tissot. Nor does it distinguish Longines against the more technological movements available in Omega.

That’s my take, fwiw.
    NC_Hager626 and Gepetto82 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can t really agree with that. Longines watches meet a higher quality standard than certina, tissot or hamilton. Longines are on level with mido for example. Proofen and reliable movements in well finished cases.
    And i really don t think that longines lineup of watches is boring, just the opposite: something for everyone. At least not 100 so called limited editions as omega do for example, that is really hillarious. Btw, the co axial movements from omega have eta based calibres as well

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

the co axial movements from omega have eta based calibres as well
    Actually, I believe the fact Omega is now considered a more "luxury" brand is only marketing talk. The co-axial escapement is just a way to sell ETA movements at higher prices as there's never been any factual proof of its superiority over the classic jeweled anchor.
    Another very little known fact is that Longines still produces at least one "in-house" movement, caliber L878.
    Now vintage wise, it's a whole other story. Vintage Omega still demands higher prices because they profit from the more recent perception of the brand, but vintage Longines were on the whole of a higher quality in terms of movement finishing than Omega. Another less known fact is that a Longines design, the base calibre L990, equipped some much higher end brands than Omega, like Breguet or Roger Dubuis.
    Sebast975, b.watcher and myn5054 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemcc View Post
    I will take a shot at a more in depth answer based on my own views. Longines is a mid-tier Swatch brand, nominally slotted somewhere between Hamilton and Omega.

Many people enter the hobby with lower end models from Tissot and/or Hamilton. They might be budget buyers at first but if they grow as a hobbyist, they are more likely to seek Omega as a first higher end luxury watch, skipping Longines in the process. I would expect that ADs are motivated to sell Omega at a higher transaction price and would lead customers there.

Secondly, much of Longines catalog is pretty pedestrian and boring. They hit it out of the park with their heritage lines but that style isn’t for everyone.

Thirdly, they use worked over ETA movements with brand specific designations like most Swatch brands. Nothing wrong with that but it doesn’t distinguish a more expensive Longines against a cheaper Hamilton or Tissot. Nor does it distinguish Longines against the more technological movements available in Omega.

That’s my take, fwiw.
    This answer nails it. I used to work at Longines as an intern (summer of 2003) and the same struggle existed then. The watches look great in person and have a quality and feel to them equal to that of Omega (and surpassing Omega in some regards), but the market doesn't care at this price point. They can price as higher end than Hamilton, but don't have the pieces or the will to brand into Omega territory. The $1k - $3k watch market is littered with brands, so it's best to move more watches than spend to stand out.

Rolex has the Submariner/Daytona/Datejust, Omega has the Speedmaster, Breitling has the Navitimer, and Longines has heritage pieces that they will rehash and reproduce. They're fantastic and I love the new Heritage Sector, but they are moving the dressier pieces and women's models for the masses. FWIW they have a strong following in Asia.
    myn5054 and Simon like this.
    Rolex Submariner 114060, Cartier Tank (wife), Universal Geneve Super Microtor, David Yurman Belmont Automatic, G-Shock DW5600E-1V

When comparing the specs of a Longines Hydroconquest to an Omega or Rolex dive watch, I don't see much difference. This probably is true for the rest of their lines as well. One could argue minor details of one brand vs. the other such as this movement is COSC or it has this special trait, etc. But if the watch looks nice and was built with the same or nearly the same specs then I don't see a reason to pay three to ten times the price of a Longines other than a status symbol.

If only James Bond wore a Longines, then perhaps Rolex and Omega would cost less.
    Last edited by Ventenberry; 1 Week Ago at 03:40.
    b.watcher, myn5054 and Simon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventenberry View Post
    When comparing the specs of a Longines Hydroconquest to an Omega or Rolex dive watch, I don't see much difference. This probably is true for the rest of their lines as well. One could argue minor details of one brand vs. the other such as this movement is COSC or it has this special trait, etc. But if the watch looks nice and was built with the same or nearly the same specs then I don't see a reason to pay three to ten times the price of a Longines other than a status symbol.

If only James Bond wore a Longines, then perhaps Rolex and Omega would cost less.
    I mean you really can't compare Longines to Rolex. I get what you are saying by the look of the watch, but Omega vs. Rolex is more appropriate.

That being said the only thing the technical merits and advances that Omega has made in their movements gets you is higher total cost of ownership when it's time to service the watch. They are very well made, but the average owner doesn't know the difference and is only buying based on name. I owned the first generation Hydroconquest and other than the bezel it was great. The new version on nato looks fantastic.

But here's the problem - Longines recently released the Record COSC line. Where is the demand? Then the released the Master Moonphase. Again, where is the demand?
    Rolex Submariner 114060, Cartier Tank (wife), Universal Geneve Super Microtor, David Yurman Belmont Automatic, G-Shock DW5600E-1V

Quote Originally Posted by Davemcc View Post

That’s my take, fwiw.
    I agree with this view and will add that Longines has no iconic watch to build around, like Rolex or Omega has. At least I don't know of any such timepiece. As such, its marketing is less effective in attracting new customers. And frankly, I looked over their catalog and there is nothing for me that stands out.

Tastes differ, i see a lot of models i like in the catalog. And the legend diver can be looked upon as iconic if you ask me. It also has a very high demand.
    If you take rolex for example, is it really that iconic to have basicly the same watch over decades with just minor design or technical changes here and there and demand a silly amount of money for it? I think not.
    At omega they at least improve or change the lineup from time to time with their speed- and seamasters and for a much more attractive price than rolex.
    Longines could have easely the place that omega has now btw, they were much stronger in business before the quartz crises than omega. Just the fact that hayek liked omega more put longines a step below them. Which is very sad i think, there could be a co axial hydro conquest, think about that for a minute

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information