1982 saw the UK and Argentina going to war over the Falkland Islands, Olivia Newton-John was getting Physical on the radio, Soft Cell had a hit with Tainted Love.
E.T., First Blood, Poltergeist and The Thing were on the big screen and the first ever CD player was sold in Japan.
Meanwhile is Switzerland, Omega were preoccupied with far more important things such as the development of electronic, prototype diver’s watches.
The Omega F300 series were Megaquartz powered prototype diver’s watches that made use of tuning fork technology licensed to them by Bulova.
One of those watches was the Seamaster 1000 Megaquartz, a watch that never made into production.
Unique features of the watch included an asymmetrical case design with heavily constructed left lateral side with integrated left-handed crown-system and a new style of Plongeur hands.
Despite the watch’s use of a highly advanced Megaquartz caliber, it performed quite poorly – largely because the Megaquartz itself was not thermo-compensated –
so that it lost significant amounts of time while operating in cold water environments. In addition to this the battery life was also problematic.
Almost four decades on and, the project has finally come to fruition – not by Omega but by a small Spanish boutique brand,
diver’s watch experts and the undisputed masters of reimagining such historical prototype watches for the faithful few.
Their portfolio reads like a who’s who of lost icons, OceanicTime was even luck enough to work them on a very special project called the HYDROGRAPHER.
But today we are here to meet the Crepas Megamatic 1200m, the aptly named spiritual successor and modern equivalent of the SM 1000 Megaquartz –
Oh, and because it makes use of a modern mechanical automatic movement it performs very well in cold water environments, thank you very much!
Please scroll down for a full list of specifications and features for this very special watch.
Measurements are as follows:
- Diameter of the bezel: 44mm
- Thickness with crystal: 13.5mm
- Length: 46.5mm
- Thickness of the crystal: 4mm
- Diameter of the crystal: 31mm
- Space between lugs: 22mm
- Diameter of the crown: 10mm
- Thickness of the bezel: 3.6mm
- Thickness of the case back cover: 2.5mm
- Clasp width: 18mm
Construction materials are as follows:
- Case, bezel, crown and case cover made of brushed 316L Stainless steel
- Crystal made of Sapphire
- Bezel inlay made of ceramic
- Gaskets made of Viton and Tefzel
- Solid Stainless steel 316L bracelet with solid clasp
- Hands, dial and bezel with C3 Superluminova
Key features are as follows:
- Swiss Made
- Swiss ETASA 2824-2
- Water-resistant 1200m / 4000 ft.
- Screwed crown and case-back cover
- Inside AR-coated anti-scratch crystal.
- 120 positions bezel.
- Automatic Helium Valve at 3 o’clock position
- Oversized size minute hand.
- Crepas MEGAMATIC diver’s watch with bracelet
- PU leather roll-case.
- One screw-diver to remove the bracelet and adjust the size.
- Custom microfiber cleaning cloth
- Warranty card
- 2 spare spring bars
The first pre-orders will deliver in July. Please follow the link embedded, below for more on this incredible watch.