Accuracy of 3 week old Orient Star Classic
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Accuracy of 3 week old Orient Star Classic

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    130

    Confused Accuracy of 3 week old Orient Star Classic

    Hi,
    I have recently purchased my first automatic - an Orient Star Classic from Creation Watches in Singapore and it is running consistently fast on the wrist at +18 to +19 seconds a day. I realise that this is within the parameter of the stated tolerances of -15/+25 but I was hoping for much better as most Orient owners on the Forum usually boast of superb accuracy with these watches (eg below +10 and often below +5!) and this is one of the reasons why I chose an Orient. Do people think that the accuracy of the watch will improve and settle down after a few months? It is consistently fast on the wrist - never going below +18 or above +20. Also in the 8 hours it is off the wrist the best I can do to reduce the gain is about +6 resting a crown up position. Ok, maybe I'm asking too much for a sub $500 automatic but from a practical point of view this amount of gain is unacceptable for me as it is my only automatic and I intend it to be my main watch - worn most days for 16 hours per day (and before anyone suggests - no, sorry I don't want to go back to quartz! ;) ). Should I try and get it regulated by a watchmaker soon or wait a while? Realising of course that if I open the back up the warranty may become void.... . Thanks in advance for any insights/superior wisdom!

  2. #2
    Member Pneuma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,239

    Re: Accuracy of 3 week old Orient Star Classic

    Quote Originally Posted by jacer35 View Post
    Hi,
    I have recently purchased my first automatic - an Orient Star Classic from Creation Watches in Singapore and it is running consistently fast on the wrist at +18 to +19 seconds a day. I realise that this is within the parameter of the stated tolerances of -15/+25 but I was hoping for much better as most Orient owners on the Forum usually boast of superb accuracy with these watches (eg below +10 and often below +5!) and this is one of the reasons why I chose an Orient. Do people think that the accuracy of the watch will improve and settle down after a few months? It is consistently fast on the wrist - never going below +18 or above +20. Also in the 8 hours it is off the wrist the best I can do to reduce the gain is about +6 resting a crown up position. Ok, maybe I'm asking too much for a sub $500 automatic but from a practical point of view this amount of gain is unacceptable for me as it is my only automatic and I intend it to be my main watch - worn most days for 16 hours per day (and before anyone suggests - no, sorry I don't want to go back to quartz! ;) ). Should I try and get it regulated by a watchmaker soon or wait a while? Realising of course that if I open the back up the warranty may become void.... . Thanks in advance for any insights/superior wisdom!
    A watchmaker will certainly be able to improve the accuracy. If it bothers you that much that you have to make a post about it, I don't see anyway out but to find a watchmaker to regulate it.

    Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member mleok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    18,008

    Re: Accuracy of 3 week old Orient Star Classic

    I recommend taking the "optimistic" reports of exceptional accuracy on affordable watches with crude accuracy specifications with a grain of salt. I have regularly been disappointed because of the unrealistic expectations set up by these cherry picked reports.
    Munchie and Meanoldmanning like this.


    Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

    Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Pneuma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jacer35 View Post
    Hi,
    I have recently purchased my first automatic - an Orient Star Classic from Creation Watches in Singapore and it is running consistently fast on the wrist at +18 to +19 seconds a day. I realise that this is within the parameter of the stated tolerances of -15/+25 but I was hoping for much better as most Orient owners on the Forum usually boast of superb accuracy with these watches (eg below +10 and often below +5!) and this is one of the reasons why I chose an Orient. Do people think that the accuracy of the watch will improve and settle down after a few months? It is consistently fast on the wrist - never going below +18 or above +20. Also in the 8 hours it is off the wrist the best I can do to reduce the gain is about +6 resting a crown up position. Ok, maybe I'm asking too much for a sub $500 automatic but from a practical point of view this amount of gain is unacceptable for me as it is my only automatic and I intend it to be my main watch - worn most days for 16 hours per day (and before anyone suggests - no, sorry I don't want to go back to quartz! ;) ). Should I try and get it regulated by a watchmaker soon or wait a while? Realising of course that if I open the back up the warranty may become void.... . Thanks in advance for any insights/superior wisdom!
    A watchmaker will certainly be able to improve the accuracy. If it bothers you that much that you have to make a post about it, I don't see anyway out but to find a watchmaker to regulate it.

    Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

    Ok thanks.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    I recommend taking the "optimistic" reports of exceptional accuracy on affordable watches with crude accuracy specifications with a grain of salt. I have regularly been disappointed because of the unrealistic expectations set up by these cherry picked reports.
    Yeah thanks, think I’ve been a bit naive on this one so might consider selling it, unless you think it might improve or “bed in” over time?

  7. #6
    Member catsteeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Anglia UK
    Posts
    2,135

    Re: Accuracy of 3 week old Orient Star Classic

    I think you've been a bit unlucky. +20 isn't really bad for a sub $500 watch. Its about on the edge. Although I've got some very accurate automatics, I've got a few around +/-20 as well.

    The crucial difference is that on here, we generally put a different watch on everyday. So that any inaccuracy is largely irrelevant.

    Personally it wouldn't bother me to much if I had to resest the watch from every 3 days to a week. But I can see how that would annoy some. Although we all carry the equivalent of quartz accuracy watches in a phone.

    If its going to be your only watch, then I think regulation is probably worth it. The Orient Star Classic is an absolutely lovely watch.
    rfortson likes this.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by catsteeth View Post
    I think you've been a bit unlucky. +20 isn't really bad for a sub $500 watch. Its about on the edge. Although I've got some very accurate automatics, I've got a few around +/-20 as well.

    The crucial difference is that on here, we generally put a different watch on everyday. So that any inaccuracy is largely irrelevant.

    Personally it wouldn't bother me to much if I had to resest the watch from every 3 days to a week. But I can see how that would annoy some. Although we all carry the equivalent of quartz accuracy watches in a phone.

    If its going to be your only watch, then I think regulation is probably worth it. The Orient Star Classic is an absolutely lovely watch.
    Hmm yes - thanks. I agree it is a lovely watch but somehow I’m left cold by it. Probably because I really wanted the Tissot Visodate black dial but went for black dial OS instead because it was cheaper and had better readability due to the AR on the crystal and also because so many said the Orients were very accurate, but I think you’re right about being a little unlucky with the accuracy. Do you think it could improve naturally at all with time?

  9. #8
    Member MediumRB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    RoK
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: Accuracy of 3 week old Orient Star Classic

    It could be magnetized a little bit; worth checking it with a compass and getting a degausser if it is indeed magnetized. Google up on all that and you can resolve the issue for $20.
    jacer35 and jenyang like this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Modern: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Ralf Tech WRV 1977, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7068 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), 6309-7290 (1987), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984).

  10. #9
    Member timefleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Posts
    7,066

    Re: Accuracy of 3 week old Orient Star Classic

    Except for the MediumRB's suggestion about possible magnetization, ignore the rest of the "advice" about getting it regulated and so forth--most automatics take between 2 weeks and 2 months to settle in--see Balldy's 6 month day-by-day graph of the breaking in of a new watch in the Ball forum--lots of fluctuation at the beginning before it settles into its rhythm. And, as noted, this is a basic movement, in an inexpensive watch, and is already operating within tolerances. I would give it another month or two before taking another step, but I don't think I'd waste my money on getting it calibrated--it is what it is.
    ACoulson, jacer35 and drwindsurf like this.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,866

    Re: Accuracy of 3 week old Orient Star Classic

    Let it run for a month and then regulate. If regulated it can be pretty accurate.
    jacer35, drwindsurf and sernsin like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Orient Star Classic accuracy after 2 weeks ?
      By Konliner in forum Orient
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: March 29th, 2019, 23:09
    2. Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 2nd, 2016, 21:45
    3. WTT my ~5 week old Orient Black Mako for a Bulova Marine Star 98C62
      By TheNightsWatch in forum WTT - Trade Corner
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: February 1st, 2012, 03:35
    4. Replies: 10
      Last Post: August 11th, 2008, 00:12
    5. Orient Star Classic
      By jwalther in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: January 3rd, 2008, 15:53

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •