New name for the Mako III - Page 6
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: New name for the Mako III

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: New name for the Mako III

Hello everyone,

I just bought the red version of this watch here in Tokyo.

This is only my second mechanical watch after an SNK805 Seiko 5, I like it. For a dive watch it has subdued style that I like, the hands and indices are not so big, and I suspect it is mostly for visibility issues that it isn't ISO rated. The bracelet is a bit clinky, but is not so bad. I've found it uncomfortable and have kept resizing it, but I am not used to metal bracelets and have nothing to compare it to. For those who also have the metal strap version of this watch, what you think?

I think my wrist is about 6.25 inches, so I was worried at first that the watch might be too big, but I think it fits ok.

Name:  watch picture.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  2.15 MB

Name:  watch picture2.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  12.6 KB

By the way, does this watch have the same case as the Mako II USA?
    Pneuma likes this.

New name for the Mako III

As promised here are pics of my new green Orient Kamasu. I just got this in yesterday so these are only initial impressions:

Love the styling, longer minute and second hands that cross over the minute markers, which are printed on the dial verses on a chapter ring. This a a great looking watch IMO.

Love the dial color, but it is difficult to capture in pics. It is a subdued green that can look teal, bluish, or black depending on lighting conditions. The green sunburst dial is great. This is a subtle green.

The sapphire crystal is nearly flush with the bezel - an improvement over the Mako USA model.

Hollow end links - wish they had included the solid end links from the Mako USA model.

While it looks great, this is the worst bracelet of all my Orient watches. It rattles and squeaks. I need to find a way to stop the squeaking. Subpar compared to my less expensive Mako I, Ray I, and Ray II bracelets. Also subpar compared to the more expensive Mako USA bracelet.

My sample seems to be running within spec out of the box (around +15 SPD). We will see where it settles in after the break-in period.

Overall I really like the watch, but Orient should improve the bracelet and end links on this one IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice. Thanks for posting the pics. It’s a neat colour but I want something that is a more vibrant green. Looks like the Certina DS Action Precidrive will still be my next green diver.
    sal4 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TreeScientist View Post
    Looks like they finally corrected the one problem with the Mako USA II, the recessed crystal, only to replace it with a major deal-breaker: Hollow end-links. Seriously, why would they take a step backwards from the Mako USA II bracelet while at the same time charging more for the watch? Makes absolutely zero sense to me. I mean, how much can solid end links really add to the final production costs? $10-20?

Perhaps they'll release a Kamasu USA with solid end links...
    Newbie here, confused... recessed crystal is a bad thing?

I am coming from a mid 90's quartz TAG that had a recessed crystal, wore it pretty much every day for the past 25yrs (my only watch)... I can't see any scratches on the crystal, part of me thinks it's cause it's recessed, and the bezel takes most of the beating...

I am considering the Ray 2 as my new daily wear watch...

Quote Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
    Newbie here, confused... recessed crystal is a bad thing?

I am coming from a mid 90's quartz TAG that had a recessed crystal, wore it pretty much every day for the past 25yrs (my only watch)... I can't see any scratches on the crystal, part of me thinks it's cause it's recessed, and the bezel takes most of the beating...

I am considering the Ray 2 as my new daily wear watch...
    On a Ray 2 with a mineral crystal it’s not a bad idea. On a Mako USA II or Kamasu with a sapphire crystal it’s a bad idea. A sapphire crystal is virtually scratch proof (though more prone to shattering on impact). A mineral crystal is more resistant to shattering but much softer (easier to scratch). If the crystal is raised or flush with the bezel it helps protect the the aluminum bezel insert which can be easily scratched or dented on impacts. If the crystal sits below the bezel, the aluminum insert gets scratched up protecting the crystal if you bang the watch.

The Ray 2 crystal is flush with the bezel despite it being a softer mineral crystal. On the Mako USA I and II the sapphire crystal is recessed. Instead of using the scratch resistant properties of the sapphire crystal to help protect the bezel insert, the aluminum insert is left sitting above the crystal and is easily scratched or dented.

Thankfully Orient made the sapphire crystal flush with the aluminum bezel insert on the new Kamasu which is the way it should be on the Mako USA II in my opinion. The Mako 2/Ray 2 should have crystals recessed below the bezel to protect the easily scratched mineral crystal in my opinion. Orient got it backwards on these models in my eyes. That said the mineral crystals are usually cheap to replace if you do scratch the up.
    Pneuma and James_ like this.

It has some similarities with the Citizen Excalibur.

How's the lume on this Orient? Really like it.
    Abhishek.b27 likes this.

Yes I agree. The dial markers are pretty well the same.
    James_ likes this.

Just got a Massdrop offer for the "Mako III". Being out of the game for a while, is this the Kamasu? And if so any opinion on the $1709 price on MD?

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    It has some similarities with the Citizen Excalibur.

How's the lume on this Orient? Really like it.
    I really miss my Citizen Excalibur - how I wish I hadn't sold it!

However I received this today - the Orient Kamasu Green/Turquoise dial diver - a lot of watch for very little money.
    Specs -
    • Orient In house movement (38-40 Hr power reserve)
    • Sapphire Crystal
    • 41mm case size
    • 22 mm lug width

Attachment 14220179

Attachment 14220181

Attachment 14220183

The bracelet is bad - it was better on my ray raven 2.
    James_ likes this.
    Everything or Nothing!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread Information