Question on Triton Spring Bars . . .

Thread: Question on Triton Spring Bars . . .

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Denver CO
    Posts
    1,042

    Question on Triton Spring Bars . . .

    . . . just scored a black Triton for a good price on Joma - I like it a lot. Was gonna throw it on a rubber strap I had lying around and discovered it features Orient "fat" bars. No go.

    Are these the same pin size as the Seiko diver fat bars and can I use the aftermarket Seiko "skinny" bars on the Triton without messing up the hole?

    Have done the search, couldn't find anything.

  2. #2
    Member Dan T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,657

    Re: Question on Triton Spring Bars . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBuff View Post
    . . . just scored a black Triton for a good price on Joma - I like it a lot. Was gonna throw it on a rubber strap I had lying around and discovered it features Orient "fat" bars. No go.

    Are these the same pin size as the Seiko diver fat bars and can I use the aftermarket Seiko "skinny" bars on the Triton without messing up the hole?

    Have done the search, couldn't find anything.
    I don't have my Triton anymore (sold it). But, I did mess around with this.

    I like the look of the Helm SS2 bracelet. I confirmed with the owner of Helm that the center link was the same width as the Triton's center link, so I bought the SS2, and attempted to integrate it into the Triton's stock end links. It "sort of" worked. I say "sort of" because of three issues: the length of the stock center link wasn't quite long enough, the stock center link didn't protrude quite far enough to align with the bracelet, and the stock spring bars didn't fit because their diameter was too much to slide through the SS2's lug holes. So I dug through some spring bars of different diameter in my kit until I found one that fit all the way through the bracelet and the stock end link. After doing that, the watch never felt loose or anything, but I was always a bit skeptical about going that route. I think they were 0.7mm thickness??? I can't remember (don't have it anymore).

    Anyway, I'm always a bit nervous about going with spring bars that aren't OEM, but this did work for me. And part of the JIS certification for the Triton is its spring bar strength, so if you go with something skinnier, you're probably jeopardizing its native JIS rating, and by extension, its warranty or something. Not sure on that last point though.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

    My WIS Confessions

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Denver CO
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Question on Triton Spring Bars . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan T. View Post
    I don't have my Triton anymore (sold it). But, I did mess around with this.

    I like the look of the Helm SS2 bracelet. I confirmed with the owner of Helm that the center link was the same width as the Triton's center link, so I bought the SS2, and attempted to integrate it into the Triton's stock end links. It "sort of" worked. I say "sort of" because of three issues: the length of the stock center link wasn't quite long enough, the stock center link didn't protrude quite far enough to align with the bracelet, and the stock spring bars didn't fit because their diameter was too much to slide through the SS2's lug holes. So I dug through some spring bars of different diameter in my kit until I found one that fit all the way through the bracelet and the stock end link. After doing that, the watch never felt loose or anything, but I was always a bit skeptical about going that route. I think they were 0.7mm thickness??? I can't remember (don't have it anymore).

    Anyway, I'm always a bit nervous about going with spring bars that aren't OEM, but this did work for me. And part of the JIS certification for the Triton is its spring bar strength, so if you go with something skinnier, you're probably jeopardizing its native JIS rating, and by extension, its warranty or something. Not sure on that last point though.
    Thanks for the insight, Dan. For now, I think I'll either stick with the bracelet or go with a NATO. Not huge NATO fan, but they do take a lot of the bulk out of the watch.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Dan T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,657

    Re: Question on Triton Spring Bars . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBuff View Post
    Thanks for the insight, Dan. For now, I think I'll either stick with the bracelet or go with a NATO. Not huge NATO fan, but they do take a lot of the bulk out of the watch.
    On that note, it's a big watch no matter what bracelet/strap option is chosen. It's why I sold mine. But on the other hand, I have a 6.5" wrist so I probably had no business buying a Triton in the first place. Now, if they ever made a 38mm Triton, it would be the last and only diver I would ever own...

    I like the stock bracelet. Mine held up pretty well. I'm not a NATO guy (they're dorky AF), and I wouldn't DREAM of putting leather on a diver, but for what you get, the stock bracelet surpassed my expectations (though, to be fair, my standards were pretty low going in, thanks to Seiko).

    I'm not really a diver guy anymore (only have one), but wish you all the best. The Triton, for what I have experienced (wearing divers since 1981...), is probably the best value automatic today, quite overlooked by WIS-types, and for me checks off nearly all the boxes (again, except size).

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

    My WIS Confessions

  6. #5
    Member ^Gurthang54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    640

    Re: Question on Triton Spring Bars . . .

    Plain old 1.78/1.85 mm spring bars will work, just buy good quality from one of the forum sponsors. The stock Triton/Neptune spring bars may be 2.2 or 2.5 mm. The other option is to drill out the end links to take the 'fat' spring bars.

    I'm glad to know that a Helm bracelet will fit the Triton/Neptune w/ a bit of massaging. The other option is to buy a milled clasp to replace the stock Triton clasp.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Denver CO
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Question on Triton Spring Bars . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan T. View Post
    On that note, it's a big watch no matter what bracelet/strap option is chosen. It's why I sold mine. But on the other hand, I have a 6.5" wrist so I probably had no business buying a Triton in the first place. Now, if they ever made a 38mm Triton, it would be the last and only diver I would ever own...

    I like the stock bracelet. Mine held up pretty well. I'm not a NATO guy (they're dorky AF), and I wouldn't DREAM of putting leather on a diver, but for what you get, the stock bracelet surpassed my expectations (though, to be fair, my standards were pretty low going in, thanks to Seiko).

    I'm not really a diver guy anymore (only have one), but wish you all the best. The Triton, for what I have experienced (wearing divers since 1981...), is probably the best value automatic today, quite overlooked by WIS-types, and for me checks off nearly all the boxes (again, except size).

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Dan, I've got the same wrist size as you and the Triton is right at the limit of what I can wear. It wears smaller than advertised though, and I can get away with it. Not sure there is a better value auto diver out there, so I'm gonna hang on to it.

    Seiko has burned all their bridges with me, QC-wise. From the off-kilter bezels to the wild inaccuracy . . . done. I bought a SARY057 from Seiya (JDM!) last year and it spent 2 months at the Seiko ER in Mahwah, NJ right after I got it. Bum winding mechanism. Right now Orient and the Micros are killing Seiko in the $400 - $500 department - especially the divers. I only paid $ 275 for the Triton and it just buries Seiko at that price. Maybe twice the price.

  8. #7
    Member Dan T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,657

    Re: Question on Triton Spring Bars . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBuff View Post
    Seiko has burned all their bridges with me, QC-wise. From the off-kilter bezels to the wild inaccuracy . . . done. I bought a SARY057 from Seiya (JDM!) last year and it spent 2 months at the Seiko ER in Mahwah, NJ right after I got it. Bum winding mechanism. Right now Orient and the Micros are killing Seiko in the $400 - $500 department - especially the divers. I only paid $ 275 for the Triton and it just buries Seiko at that price. Maybe twice the price.
    Heh, not to hijack your question, but because it's just the two of us ("we can make it if we try..." ), others might benefit...

    Seiko is merely a gateway drug. Yes, you can spend your whole life getting Seiko's and yes some of them are really nice, but upon trying other stuff, Seiko to me is like a Toyota Camry. Affordable, comfy, reliable, etc. So for me, Seiko is a good introductory brand but certainly not the end of the road. I only have two (the SARBs), but I wore lots of them going back to the mid 1980s. They've ALWAYS had pip alignment issues, and ALWAYS come on cheap-ass bracelets. It's a strategy of theirs. It has to be.

    Not sure about micros - I have two and one of them has QC issues (an Islander), the other (a Bertucci) is a grand slam home run. Thought about getting a Helm Komodo but it's 40mm and SUPER THICC so I'll probably pass when their next production run comes up. But I'm not really a diver guy anymore anyway, but I keep trying. Not sure why, because I wear the SARBs and really nice Hamilton's to work and the Bertucci on the weekends so a diver doesn't even fit in.

    Anyway, let us know if the bracelet thing works out!

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

    My WIS Confessions

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •