I'm the new owner of a JLC Polaris... And I'm worried.

Thread: I'm the new owner of a JLC Polaris... And I'm worried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm the new owner of a JLC Polaris... And I'm worried.

Several months back I sold off most of my collection with the intention of finding a great one-watch collection. I've cycled through a few watches over the past several months. I went from a Black Bay 58 to the GS Snowflake.

I've had the Snowflake for about three weeks now. There is a lot I love about the watch, the dial design and finishing are incredible. I don't care about the lack of lume. And Spring Drive is a thing of magic.

However, the GS just isn't comfortable on my wrist. I can't get a bracelet fit that feels comfortable.

So about a week ago, I had the opportunity to pick up a Polaris at a great price. I went ahead and made the purchase, knowing that I could sell the Snowflake or the Polaris for what I paid.

After a week with the Polaris, there are two things that I love, and several things that have me banging my head against the wall.

I really enjoy the versatility of the dial design. It looks classic without looking derivative. And JLCs are uncommon enough that I likely won't see another one on someone's wrist.

The Polaris is also incredibly comfortable. The micro adjust system on the bracelet is quick and easy to use. I usually forget the watch is on my wrist, more so than my Snowflake which is made of titanium.

That being said, there are so many little things wrong with the watch that I'm just going to list them below:

1) No screw down crowns. I don't need to be able to swim in this watch, so that isn't a big drawback for me. However, the crown that controls the internal bezel does turn throughout the day. It drives me crazy to look down and after an hour the bezel isn't aligned with the dial. This feels like such a cheap corner to cut.

2) The bracelet clasp. While incredibly comfortable, securing the clasp feels cheap. You have to push hard and it often gets caught on itself. I've owned many more affordable watches with nicer feeling clasps. Also, the edges of the clasp are sharp. Again, I haven't experienced anything like this on watches over $1000.

3) The movement. After coming from the Snowflake, my perspective is a bit skewed. It's only loosing about 2.5s/d, so not too bad there. However, it only has a 40hr power reserve and it's not anti-magnetic.

4)The finishing. This complaint is very minor. The finishing looks great in person and even under a 30x loupe. However, under the 60x loupe, there is foreign material everywhere. This isn't a huge issue for me. But coming from the Grand Seiko where there is none, it feels cheap.

After all of those complaints, I'm still seriously considering keeping the watch long-term. The comfort and dial design are a big deal for me.

I do have one concern that I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on.

I've never owned a JLC watch. But considering this will be a daily wear, I'd like the watch to last at least five years between servicing. I've been reading the forums lately and heard many horror stories from people with JLC movements. If the movement can't hold up to daily wear and tear, I'll likely be on the hunt again. What have people's experiences been with JLC movements in a daily watch?

Are there any daily watches that I'm missing under the 8k price range? I'd prefer something on a bracelet. No Rolex or Omega. Simple dial design.

Re: I'm the new owner of a JLC Polaris... And I'm worried.

I think you should get the crown for the internal bezel service. I have the same model and the crown does not move at all.

The clasp of the Polaris is not as nice as my Rolex Oyster steel clasp.

Quote Originally Posted by MLsims View Post

I've never owned a JLC watch. But considering this will be a daily wear, I'd like the watch to last at least five years between servicing. I've been reading the forums lately and heard many horror stories from people with JLC movements. If the movement can't hold up to daily wear and tear, I'll likely be on the hunt again. What have people's experiences been with JLC movements in a daily watch?
    I have 2 JLC's and neither has given me concerns. The movement is accurate and reliable. If your Polaris is still under 2 year warranty you can extend it by registering on the JLC website for an additional 6 years. Don't even have to be the original owner. Thats industry leading warranty cover.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by firefly0071 View Post
    I think you should get the crown for the internal bezel service. I have the same model and the crown does not move at all.

The clasp of the Polaris is not as nice as my Rolex Oyster steel clasp.
    Maybe is a difference in wrist size or how we wear it?

-2.5 seconds per day is quite accurate. I wouldn't be worried about the movement.
    Ω Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Calendar Q1558420

60x loupe? Stop looking so closely.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by double View Post
    -2.5 seconds per day is quite accurate. I wouldn't be worried about the movement.
    Personally I would be concerned about the accuracy being on the negative side. I know that technically it's OK, but when I pay the JLC price I'd like to be able to achieve something more personal.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Personally I would be concerned about the accuracy being on the negative side. I know that technically it's OK, but when I pay the JLC price I'd like to be able to achieve something more personal.
    He can probably regulate that error out by checking the accuracy at various angles. I can make my JLC Geophysic gain or lose time by leaving it overnight in certain positions.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche993 View Post
    He can probably regulate that error out by checking the accuracy at various angles. I can make my JLC Geophysic gain or lose time by leaving it overnight in certain positions.
    A bit tedious, but totally doable.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

The internal bezel might be a service issue. I'd consult with your dealer on that one. Agree that the power reserve on the 899 (I believe that's the movement) could be better, but it's otherwise a robust movement. I wear my MCD very frequently, and it hasn't skipped a beat despite some honest abuse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information