Imperfections on my Master Geographic after an inspection...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Imperfections on my Master Geographic after an inspection...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Imperfections on my Master Geographic after an inspection...

This is regarding the piece (Master Geographic) that I posted a couple days ago. I acquired this piece as a pre-owned a little bit less than a year ago from a retailer (not a JLC AD but carries other reputable brands). At the time of the purchase, I was ensured that the watch has never been opened or overhauled (the retailer said they contacted the previous owner to find out such information at my request). Hence, I never did a thorough inspection of the watch using a loupe until very recently. What I found out from the inspection recently is that there are quite a bit of dusts or dark dots (I believe) on the surface of the dial and finger prints all over the place of minute and hour hands... The worst part is the imperfections of painting on the hands of sub dials (power reserve, date, and the am/pm indicator). The hands on these sub dials are rather painted while the hour, minute, and second hands are blued. I am not sure how to describe these imperfections but the edge of painting isn't clearly cut on all these hands and look very unprofessional... Last thing I would like to mention are the blued screws in the movement. Aren't they supposed to be consistent in colour? The blued screws on my JLC don't seem to be consistent in colour at all compared to my recently purchased brand new GO Pano. Has anyone noticed this? Is this normal? Maybe I am being very sensitive here but if anyone can answer me from their own experiences... it will be great.

I am not too worried about the dots or dusts on the dials since they can be pretty much removed when I get an overhaul within a couple of years but when it comes to the imperfections... I am not sure how to deal with them. Would I be able to have these parts replaced when I get an overhaul? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Imperfections on my Master Geographic after an inspection...

There is a service calculator on JLCs website and it prices out all the parts, so yes you can get them replaced. It seems really odd what you are saying about the hands and screws. I would imagine all the hands would be heat treated blue and the screws as well. I have not owned any complication models so I can't speak with personal experience.

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/...alculator.html

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Pics would help massively with this

Personally I’d be very concerned if my watch had those imperfections. Was the shop a reputed second hand seller?
    Brother of OoO

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I think so too... The hands on the sub dials are not heat treated to start with though. I will try to get a picture so that it will make more sense.

Hm... I would say they usually deal with Rolex, Breitling, and Tags but not JLC.

Quote Originally Posted by ehan87 View Post
    This is regarding the piece (Master Geographic) that I posted a couple days ago. I acquired this piece as a pre-owned a little bit less than a year ago from a retailer (not a JLC AD but carries other reputable brands). At the time of the purchase, I was ensured that the watch has never been opened or overhauled (the retailer said they contacted the previous owner to find out such information at my request). Hence, I never did a thorough inspection of the watch using a loupe until very recently. What I found out from the inspection recently is that there are quite a bit of dusts or dark dots (I believe) on the surface of the dial and finger prints all over the place of minute and hour hands... The worst part is the imperfections of painting on the hands of sub dials (power reserve, date, and the am/pm indicator). The hands on these sub dials are rather painted while the hour, minute, and second hands are blued. I am not sure how to describe these imperfections but the edge of painting isn't clearly cut on all these hands and look very unprofessional... Last thing I would like to mention are the blued screws in the movement. Aren't they supposed to be consistent in colour? The blued screws on my JLC don't seem to be consistent in colour at all compared to my recently purchased brand new GO Pano. Has anyone noticed this? Is this normal? Maybe I am being very sensitive here but if anyone can answer me from their own experiences... it will be great.

I am not too worried about the dots or dusts on the dials since they can be pretty much removed when I get an overhaul within a couple of years but when it comes to the imperfections... I am not sure how to deal with them. Would I be able to have these parts replaced when I get an overhaul? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
    Blued hands are heat treated, not painted on. However, it is possible that the hands in the subdial would be painted on. How old is this watch? You could find out then find a close up photo on the internet to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have already compared. The hands on the sub-dials are not heat treated but painted.

This thread is kinda useless without pics OP
    toph likes this.
    Brother of OoO

Quote Originally Posted by ehan87 View Post
    I have already compared. The hands on the sub-dials are not heat treated but painted.
    Thats normal for this model. Painted subdial hands

That's kind of disappointing honestly. In this price range. Maybe I'm a plebian :(

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information