JLC Master Geographic: GMT function not working... Plus more defects

Thread: JLC Master Geographic: GMT function not working... Plus more defects

JLC Master Geographic: GMT function not working... Plus more defects

Two days ago I started a thread titled "Imperfections on my Master Geographic after an inspection." My conclusion was to wait for a few years until the point when the watch needs a service. Then, I could spend some money to have few parts (hands and screws in the movement; probably the dial as well) replaced. I purchased this watch last year from a retail store (ADs for Breitling, Zenith, Tag Heuer and etc.) that sells pre-owned watches (majority of the pre-owned brands are Rolex, Breitling, and Tag Heuer and they rarely carry high-end watches). At the time of purchase, I was told that the watch has never serviced or opened by the previous owner (which was a big fat lie since I found finger prints and dusts/stains everywhere on the dial). They also provided me with 2 year warranty.

I noticed a bigger issue with the watch when I was inspecting the watch thoroughly yesterday under the natural sunlight. The top part of the 3 printed on the second time zone dial located at 6 o'clock looks like it was nibbled by a rat... Please check out the attached photo. This was just the start. Another and the last problem I found was with the GMT function of the watch. The crown located at 10 o'clock moves in either direction changing the city of the second time zone. I rarely used this feature of the watch and today I wanted to find out if it works properly. Guess what I have found, the mechanism keeps sticking and the hands on the second time zone wouldn't move or every few clicks after winding...

I am not sure what to do anymore with this watch. I guess I have two options here: either to get a refund (if they are willing to) or have the watch serviced by the place of my purchase. I am afraid this store might screw up the watch further... The owner of the store said they have the capacity to service JLC and also have access to obtain parts as well (I was informed at the time of the purchase), which I don't trust at all. Let me know if you guys have any thought. It will be of great help. Thanks!

Last question is would I have trouble getting an official service from JLC if I get it serviced from a third party?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: JLC Master Geographic: GMT function not working... Plus more defects

I'd be getting my money back;
    Brother of OoO

disappointing to hear. i'd push for a refund to put towards another

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Truthfully I have (one of) these same issues with my AD purchased master geographic.

My issue is:

If you view the dial from steep angles, such that you can see the SIDES of the subdial hands (second time zone, power reserve, date), the hands are not painted consistently. The sides of the hands are blotchy - in some areas white in some areas blue. This paint issue is quite visible to the naked eye, but only when the watch is viewed at sharp angles.

I sent it back once already for dust on the dial, and have noticed again dust in another place. I also sent it back initially because of prominent scratches on polished sides of the main hour and minute hands (this issue was resolved).

At the moment, the hand paint issue does not bother me quite enough to send it in for service, since I usually don't see it. But I do debate doing so occasionally. JLC's extension to 8 years warranty is a reassurance that when I want to get it fixed, I can.

Unfortunately, with the exception of my Tudor Pelagos, literally every single AD purchased luxury watch I have bought has had some small visual imperfections. This includes: (Habring2 Fuodroyante, Omega DSOTM, Grand Seiko Snowflake, Pequignet Rue Royale, Longines Master Moonphase Chrono, etc)

I will just include one picture for reference, but all of the painted hands are like this:

Name:  JLC Hand.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  62.3 KB
    Current Collection: Tudor Pelagos Blue, JLC Master Geographic, Seagull 1963

Also further thoughts: For the kind of repairs you need done (part replacement) you will most likely only be able to have the repairs done by JLC or a JLC authorized service center. Any other third party repair will not have a parts account and probably wont be able to source the hands and dial.

A third party like LA Watch Works which specialized in heavy duty restoration may be able to re paint the hands though. In my case, I would actually quite like to have the 24 hour indicator repainted red some day which I would have to go third party for I am sure.

Very disappointing to hear these stories. I adore the brand but these imperfections even for newly purchased watches... I expected much better from the brand. My GO Panomatic Lunar is completely free of imperfections under 10x loupe.

I can clearly see the inconsistencies of the painting. I have to admit that the work done by humans can't ever be perfect period

I am not trying to be rude etc, and just asking the question - is the watch "genuine"?

Quote Originally Posted by firefly0071 View Post
    I am not trying to be rude etc, and just asking the question - is the watch "genuine"?
    In my case, the watch is 100% legit. AD purchased and it has been back to JLC through a totally different AD.

In OPs case, it may be a good question. Apparently there are convincing fakes of this model out there that have one glaring flaw: the GMT doesn't function.

Yes, it is lol. I purchased it through a reputable store and they are ADs for many brands. The movement has been inspected thoroughly as well.

Thread Information