Master Ultra Thin Date
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Master Ultra Thin Date

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Master Ultra Thin Date

As an everyday watch. What's the verdict on this? Is it solid enough or a little flimsy? Really liking the 39mm size and thinness and seriously tempted to get one.

Re: Master Ultra Thin Date

I have one. With the black band it is really formal. I wear it almost exclusively with suits. I wouldn’t wear one with casual clothes without a different strap. I think a medium brown strap would allow you to dress it down. The straps are easier to change on the newest models.

It is a really nice watch. Very few people will know what it is, but anyone would recognize that it is a beautiful, elegant watch. The see through case back is a nice touch. I enjoy the 22ct rotor. The time keeping is at least as good as my Rolex.

The only downsides I have found are 1) it’s not that versatile unless you have multiple straps 2) the rotor is loud. It make a whizzing noice that you can hear. No one else will notice, but it took my by surprise.

It is a delicate feeling watch. When setting the date and time it feels delicate. It’s light and thin. My Reverso is a more robust feeling watch. It feels a bit like I need to be careful not to break it.

I’ve owned mine for over two years with zero problems. Personally, if I could only have one watch, I’d probably pick my Datejust. Fortunately, I have more and the ultra thin date is nice to have in the rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retumbo likes this.

I agree with SCSailor. I finally acquired the MUT Moon last year and use it exclusively as a dress watch. Of all of the watches I own, including a Master Calendar, the MUT Moon is by far the most dressy. I really don't think it is a good choice as an everyday watch. You could probably make it appear less dressy with a simple Horween strap like those used by Nomos, but at the end of the day it is still a delicate watch.

If you are attracted to the moon phase complication, which is my favorite complication, I would recommend that you look at the current Master Calendar, which is also 39mm, although admittedly a bit thicker. It is still a dressy watch, but in my opinion, it is less dressy than the MUT Moon and feels a bit more substantial. You can get it on a light brown strap with contrasting stitching, which gives the watch a more casual look. However, while I love my Master Calendar (which is the pre-2012 model with a dark brown alligator strap), I would not wear it as an everyday watch.

In my opinion, the best everyday watches are robust watches with easy to read luminous dials like a Rolex OP or an Omega AT150M on a steel bracelet. They are dressy enough to wear with a suit but casual enough to wear with jeans. If the Omega AT is too big for your taste (41mm), then take a look at the Globemaster (39mm), which would make a fantastic everyday watch. If you really want a JLC, then you should consider the MC date on a bracelet. I personally don't like the JLC bracelet and would prefer more lum and water resistance for an everyday watch, but there is no denying that the MC Date is a fantastic and versatile watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a MUT Reserve De Marche and love it. The MUT hands in-person are gorgeous.

It's on my wish list. I would love to use one as a daily/office watch.

I've got other watches that are sturdier for weekends or whatever, but this style reminds me of my dad's watch that he wore all the time. And when I consider that he spent a lot less time sitting at a desk in his job than I do in mine, I don't see why this JLC would be unsuitable for me.

Really nice watch. I like just about all of the Master Ultra Thin watches. However, in my opinion the Master Ultra Thin Date is a little too dressy for everyday wear. I think the Master Date is more versatile and robust although it is probably not as thin.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by mayaver View Post
    As an everyday watch. What's the verdict on this?
    Without lume the watch will be limited to daytime use.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Without lume the watch will be limited to daytime use.
    But at nighttime, your time is all for your lady. You shouldn’t even be considering what time it is because you don’t need to be anywhere else.

(how’s that for a spin in favor of no lume? )

Its a great daily watch - with tshirt/collar shirt and jeans/chinos its all good...Not sure if youre in warmer weather with shorts....:(

I've been considering one as well. Hopefully going to try it on at the JLC Boutique in Vegas this weekend and will report back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information