Negotiating a discount from a NYC AD?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Negotiating a discount from a NYC AD?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Negotiating a discount from a NYC AD?

Hey all,

I'm close to pulling the trigger on my first JLC - either the Polaris automatic or the Polaris chrono.

Has anyone in NYC had luck negotiating a discount from an NYC AD? These are pretty discounted (as much as 23%) on some of the more reputable grey market sites. I'd prefer an AD but if it's thousands less from a grey market site it's hard to justify the AD.

Re: Negotiating a discount from a NYC AD?

Being a well established customer goes a long way.
    TKiteCD and Citlalcoatl like this.

If you aren’t adverse to a train ride to philly govbergs is an AD in JLC and last time I bought a JLC a few years ago from them without going into detail their price consideration was good enough for me to choose them over grey marker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Outside of NYC you can get discounts comparable to Grey on new from AD. Most of the NYC dealers won't do much, if anything, for you.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

In NYC, give Cellini on Park & 56 a shot. I bought couple of watches there and got pretty good price consideration. They are JLC AD.

Quote Originally Posted by natesen View Post
    Outside of NYC you can get discounts comparable to Grey on new from AD. Most of the NYC dealers won't do much, if anything, for you.

Not my experience. Local AD clearly stated no discounts. Another offered 8% max. Grays and trusted resellers are 20-25% off. Factoring in tax the latter are far more economical. And you should still get the 8 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche993 View Post
    Not my experience. Local AD clearly stated no discounts. Another offered 8% max. Grays and trusted resellers are 20-25% off. Factoring in tax the latter are far more economical. And you should still get the 8 year warranty.
    Ouch, for 8% I would buy Grey. My AD gets me 20% to 30% off most brands. But I've been buying from them for awhile. Not sure what someone new would get.

Might depend on model and inventory as well. Likely better chances negotiating in store than via email/phone. One AD told me no discounts on models they have to order in and another just no generally so I moved on. I called around the US and some offered the equivalent of their local sales tax (probably their usual discount to get locals to shop there) or up to 15% without much pushing when I was looking for a hard to get Tudor. On JLC, I've only seen one grey market dealer list at 20%+ off on a Reverso I want but factor in shipping, duty and potential hassles with customs I'm likely settling for less than 20% to shop within a few hours' drive. If I was near this particular grey market seller's pickup locations, I'd likely go with them though. Anyone get 20-30% off on JLC as a new customer at an AD and willing to share? :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I have an AD that I'm established as a good customer in NYC. My experience is that just one watch is not going to get you any consideration, and any discount off the MSRP is earned by at least 2 or more repeat purchases from an AD. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche993 View Post
    Yeah this is pretty much what I'm seeing. Biggest discount I've been offered was 5%. Even Tourneau wouldn't give more than that after my wife just bought a Rolex at full retail last week. Guess I will be going grey market!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information