Show your JLC!! - Page 46
Like Tree5009Likes

Thread: Show your JLC!!

Page 46 of 166 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 96 146 ... LastLast

Re: Show your JLC!!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369316303.188171.jpg
Views: 2664
Size:  108.2 KB

One of my favorites!
    lp1974, A majeed, rooneb and 5 others like this.

Hello all,

Just received my Geographic, so I'm happy to post (finally - because those 1000 hours go by very slow!), pictures of my 1st JLC.

a.

[email protected]
    twitter & instagram: @spazzcom

Not my watch, although it is my wrist, but probably of interest here. A JLC skeletonised Gyrotoubillon 1 in red gold, limited to 30 pieces and retailing at £290,000.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369855561.223031.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  537.3 KB
    Spazz27, dosei, NMGE17 and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

on the road shots of the NSA and MC Chrono

Name:  IMG_0005.jpg
Views: 2656
Size:  197.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 2645
Size:  204.5 KB
    rooneb, Spazz27, navarrito and 4 others like this.
    Ω Speedmaster 9300
    Ω PO XL 8500
    Ω Aqua Terra 8500
    Ω Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT
    Ω Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT
    Ω Seamaster 300m
    JLC Master Control Chronograph
    JLC Master Compressor Diving Alarm Navy SEALs

Grails:
    ALS Lange 1
    ALS Datograph Flyback

This just in

My Amvox 1
    Attached Images Attached Images

dosei, NMGE17, Watermark and 2 others like this.

Hello ,new here i have my grandfathers jlc it is a ss case and from 1945 ,how do i post pictures as i would like to know its type.thanks .ian

Quote Originally Posted by iinsic View Post
    As promised, here are a couple of Q&Ds of my new Hometime (née DualTime).

Attachment 1054996Attachment 1054997

When I bought my Rolex Datejust II a little over a year ago, I was greatly impressed with Rolex's Easylink extension method in the clasp. It consisted of a partial link that could be unlocked and unfolded to extend the bracelet by 5mm, allowing for a more comfortable fit as one's wrist expanded during the day. I've written elsewhere of my admiration of Rolex's ingenuity. Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered that the JLC bracelet on my Hometime - a design I'm sure has not been updated in a while - had two such extensions, one on either side of the butterfly deployant. The JLC extension link is 4mm, which allows the expansion or contraction of a bracelet by as much as 8mm as needed.

I was even more impressed by the clever method for adjusting links. JLC bracelets have unique spring bars in adjustable links, which are depressed by the width of the outer link, allowing the outer link portion to pivot up and out of the way. Then the spring bar can be pulled out, separating the two joined links. Once the bracelet is adjusted, the pin is depressed enough to allow the outer link to swing back down and the pin pops into place. Marvelous!

My only regret is that JLC apparently is moving away from bracelets, offering their Master series only on straps. I've long coveted the Lange Datograph on its rose gold bracelet. If JLC offered the Master Chrono in red gold with a matching bracelet, I would be just as content with it (perhaps even more since it is self-winding).

Rob
    Great pictures. This watch is probably number one on my "if I win the lottery" list, so I wonder if you would mind if I ask a question. I'm curious about the design philosophy of having both an hour hand and a 24-hour dial for second time zone use. It seems, to use the obvious word, redundant, but I suspect I am missing something. My tentative answer would be that you would look at the blue hand to know what time it is, say, two or three time zones away, while the other would be used for more exotic realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter Faction View Post
    Great pictures. This watch is probably number one on my "if I win the lottery" list, so I wonder if you would mind if I ask a question. I'm curious about the design philosophy of having both an hour hand and a 24-hour dial for second time zone use. It seems, to use the obvious word, redundant, but I suspect I am missing something. My tentative answer would be that you would look at the blue hand to know what time it is, say, two or three time zones away, while the other would be used for more exotic realms.
    I can try to answer this, and Rob, if I miss any information, please feel free to add or correct. The skeleton hour hand provides a quick and easy read of the reference (home) time in a 12-hour format. The 24-hour subdial is meant to mainly indicate daytime vs. nighttime of the reference (home) location; the top half represents daytime (see the engraving that emulates sunlight) and the bottom half represents night time (see the engraving that emulates night sky). Although you can also tell the reference time in the 24-hour format in the subdial, that is more of a secondary purpose as the dial is too small for a quick and easy read.

You can probably better understand the design philosophy of this Master Hometime (dualtime) if you look at its predecessor:

Name:  hometime.jpg
Views: 2703
Size:  45.9 KB

As you can see, instead of a 24-hour sub-dial, the previous version includes a jour-et-nuit sub-dial that indicates only day and night. I suspect that for the current version, JLC aims to have a more symmetrical dial and thus use a complete circular subdial for the day/night indicator to balance the small seconds subdial.

I much prefer this interface or implementation to the other ones such as those commonly found in many GMT watches (e.g., Rolex GMT, etc.). The reason is that it is much more intuitive to tell time from a watch in a 12-hour format as this is what we have been trained to do. The other implementation requires me to learn the "new" system to figure out the reference time. In addition, the skeleton hour hand, when not in use, can be hidden underneath the main hour hand, giving the watch a very clean look. By contrast, the other GMT implementation always has a distinct (and somewhat out of place as they are usually in some bright color) extra hand all the time.

Daniel
    Spazz27, mleok, Watermark and 2 others like this.

Thanks, Daniel; those are interesting comments. It really is a beautiful watch.

Page 46 of 166 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 96 146 ... LastLast

Thread Information