Do you have a watch tool kit?
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Do you have a watch tool kit?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Do you have a watch tool kit?

Noob question and couldn't find anything through search for tool kit. Pretty much all of the watches I own were purchased online. So if something is on a bracelet I have to go to a jeweler to size it because I've never done it myself, nor do I have tiny tools.

As I look at watches and think "hmm, i'd like to swap that bracelet out for a strap" or "guess I'll have to go get this one sized one it comes".

Is it worth it to get a watch tool kit? if so, which one? Amazon seems to have several relatively cheap kits, but i'd wager the large majority of tools will never get used and I don't even know what I would need for basic sizing/strap swaps.

I see some of the folks modding their seiko's orient's etc, but i can't say i'd likely go that far anytime soon as it looks to be much more involved when swapping out bezels etc..

Do you have tools to do things yourself, or do you have everything done by a pro?

Re: Do you have a watch tool kit?

I've been adding to my kit, once Bergeon at a time.
    PistolPeteSTL and Farbey80 like this.

You will need a spring bar tool to remove spring bars, and a couple of small screwdrivers for screw bars such as on a Panerai, good advice is don’t buy cheap as they will burr off very quickly, and is a false economy.

If you want to size bracelets then a pin removal tool is required, again they come in a variety of prices, and cheap is not necessarily a good idea.

As you say the tool kits contain a lot of things you will never use, and if you get a cheap one all the tools will probably be one use before they fall apart.
    Farbey80 likes this.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kirth View Post
    I've been adding to my kit, once Bergeon at a time.
    Same here...can't afford everything at once from those guys and I want quality tools.

Yes.

Whatever you do, do NOT go get the cheap-o Amazon or Fleabay "all in one" kits. Nearly everything inside them is junk, even the case they come in.

If you're US, I highly recommend stopping by esslinger.com and snagging each tool you need, piece by piece. My favorite brand is Bergeon.
    Dav25, 71 TRUCK, Farbey80 and 2 others like this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

My WIS Confessions

I bought one of those tool kits when I first started. It's mostly junk. Here's what I use:
    - Bergeon spring bar tool (6767? I have to double check). Comes with two tips, a forked end to grab onto the spring bar shoulders, and a tip for bracelet links (or cases with lug holes)
    - A set of Bergeon pliers. 7825? I'd have to double check. This really makes removing steel bracelets, where you have to decompress both spring bars at once, much easier. They're a bit more expensive but will save your watch case from unnecessary scratches
    - Painter's tape. Lots and lots of painter's tape. Even now, after hundreds of strap changes, I still cover up the lugs almost every time.
    - Fancy toothpicks. No, seriously. I use this both for my watch with lug holes, but also when putting the straps back on, as I'll use the fat end of the toothpick to push in the spring bar. Can't scratch your watch with a toothpick. Why take the chance if you don't have to?
    - Patience. Lots and lots of patience. And maybe a beater watch or two to get better with. There's a level of precision in your movements that you just naturally get better with over time. Please, do strap changes on your Rolex or Patek. Just start off with a Seiko or Orient first*.

*Not that there's anything wrong with Seiko or Orient, of course.
    71 TRUCK, Farbey80 and Nokie like this.
    Current: Ω Aqua Terra 8500 | Ω Planet Ocean 2500 | Ω Speedmaster 375.0043 | Rolex Pepsi 126710BLRO | Rolex Submariner 14060 | Rolex "Polar" Explorer II 216570
    Gone, but not forgotten: Ω SMPc 2500 | Rolex 16700 Pepsi

As with others here I build my tool kit a bit at a time. I have more faith in myself to resize a bracelet without scratching it than I have in other people. A spring bar tool, a couple tiny screwdrivers and a pin pusher or too will allow you to do many jobs.
    Farbey80 likes this.

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent here. I bought one of those super cheap watch tool kits from Amazon, like $15 or $30 all-in. Yes, it is crap. But I've found it to be quite servicable for simple things like sizing bracelets and changing out straps. I even used the watch caseback tool a few weeks ago to change out my own batteries on a couple of quartz watches.

I've also accumulated a few different spring bar tools with various strap purchases over the years. Some work better than others.

I suppose it depends on just how much you're planning on using it. If you're in this for the long haul and plan on doing a lot of work on your watches it might be worth the investment for a set of proper tools. For me, the cheapo kit has paid for itself many times over on savings from doing it myself vs. going to a jeweler for a watch strap adjustment. At the worst, the cheapo kits will help you to figure out what you need and what you don't. I've ended up using most of the included tools at one time or another, which surprised me.

Buy any old tool kit and a good springbar tool like the one below. As you use the kit youíll soon realise which tools are sub par and want replacing with good ones. Donít scrimp on the replacements even if you think itís not worth getting really good stuff because itíll not get enough use.

Name:  4CFC8BEC-B71D-4375-9C64-F27900DB3CB5.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  77.1 KB
    Farbey80 and Weetabix like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Buy any old tool kit and a good springbar tool like the one below. As you use the kit youíll soon realise which tools are sub par and want replacing with good ones. Donít scrimp on the replacements even if you think itís not worth getting really good stuff because itíll not get enough use.

Name:  4CFC8BEC-B71D-4375-9C64-F27900DB3CB5.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  77.1 KB

I would have to agree with this. I got an all in one kit, not a super cheap one but one that has the basics in it. The most common thing you will use is a spring bar tool and or a bracelet pin removing tool.

Go on to esslinger.com pick up a tool kit and as noted and upgrade as needed. Also depending on your collection get one of those rubber case back balls they can get most case backs with out scratching. I am not recomending removing case backs unless it is for a battery change out.
    Farbey80 and Sergeant Major like this.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

-WC

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information