Watch Winder Recommendations (And "Leader Watch Winder" reviews/experiences) Requested
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By habanero
  • 1 Post By wjhoffmann

Thread: Watch Winder Recommendations (And "Leader Watch Winder" reviews/experiences) Requested

Watch Winder Recommendations (And "Leader Watch Winder" reviews/experiences) Requested

Hi all,

TL;DR: Looking for recommendations for a watch winder with room for 3-7 watches, individual TPD & direction settings, vertical up-and-down style (vs. inclined angled style), $200-$400 price range.

The Long:
    I think I've decided that I am in the market for my first watch winder. I've taken a look at a number of recommended watch winders (Wolf, Chiyoda, Orbita, Barrington, Versa, Heiden, JQueen, Time Tutelary) and I'm looking for further guidance. I think I want one that holds at least 3 watches and I don't think I will ever need more than 6 or 7 but I want extra room as I expand my collection (I currently have 2 watches that I would like to keep wound for convenient grab-and-go without re-setting). I would prefer it if each watch "bay" is individually programmable for TPD and direction. I'm thinking my price range will be $200-$400.

First of all Wolf, Barrington, and Orbita seem to be pretty expensive and are probably out of my price range.
    Versa and Time Tutlery seem kind of cheap and I can probably afford higher quality.
    Heiden, JQueen, and Chiyoda seem to be in the right price range for what I am looking for but I prefer the straight up-and-down style vs. the inclined angled winder which seem to dominate the styles.
    I have also found a couple brands on Amazon that I have been looking at, specifically "Leader Watch Winder" and "Boda Concept." Links below. Has anyone had any experience with these two brands on Amazon?

Any and all recommendations, guidance, personal experience, and questions (even recommendations against using a watch winder) are welcome on any brands as I still have a ways to go to make a decision and my mind is open.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my long post and helping me out.

Links:

My favorite look, # of watches, functionality, etc.:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0GVOFWNN&psc=1 (Unfortunately it went out of stock before I could buy)
    Alternative:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0GVOFWNN&psc=1

Boda:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0GVOFWNN&psc=1

Favorite Chiyoda (even though it is not the style I'm looking for):
    https://www.amazon.com/CHIYODA-Autom...70_&dpSrc=srch

Re: Watch Winder Recommendations (And "Leader Watch Winder" reviews/experiences) Requested

Since you only need space for 2 right now, I would suggest buying 2 Wolf Module 4.1 winders (~$250 each) on Amazon.

That's $100 more than your stated budget, but here's why I suggest it: The Module 4.1 winders are modular and connect, so you can build a multi-winder configuration as you need it. It grows with you and you don't have the sunk cost of a multi-drum winder when a drum fails or you need more capacity.

If one module fails (after the 2-year warranty period--Amazon is an AD for Wolf), you replace just that one module rather than having a 3+ drum winder with a failed drum. For what it's worth, I have a couple of modules from 2012 or 2013 that are still going strong. YMMV.

As your collection inevitably expands, you pay $250 for 1 additional unit rather than having several, mismatched multi-drum winders or, worse, trading up to a single, higher-capacity, winder. I started with 2 modules and am now up to 8. Imagine the cost if I had outgrown 3-, 5- and 7-drum winders along the way

If I buy a new watch, I just add $250 to the cost and pick up an extra module. In many cases that's less than sales tax or PayPal fees. If I'm buying a $200 Seiko, the $250 winder cost hurts a bit, but I'm willing to pay for the long-term flexibility and downside protection.

They have programmable TPD, counter/clockwise/both rotation settings, and a great power cable splitter system so you can daisy-chain them on one plug. Plus they have doors to keep the dust out, which the other modular winders I've seen don't have.

Possible downside is the modern look and feel. I don't mind it. My wife hates it. But she would probably hate any other 8-unit winder even if it was all leather and wood grain instead.
    johnwooten72 likes this.

Re: Watch Winder Recommendations (And "Leader Watch Winder" reviews/experiences) Requested

Quote Originally Posted by habanero View Post
    The Module 4.1 winders are modular and connect, so you can build a multi-winder configuration as you need it. It grows with you and you don't have the sunk cost of a multi-drum winder when a drum fails or you need more capacity.

If one module fails (after the 2-year warranty period--Amazon is an AD for Wolf), you replace just that one module rather than having a 3+ drum winder with a failed drum. For what it's worth, I have a couple of modules from 2012 or 2013 that are still going strong. YMMV.

As your collection inevitably expands, you pay $250 for 1 additional unit rather than having several, mismatched multi-drum winders or, worse, trading up to a single, higher-capacity, winder. I started with 2 modules and am now up to 8. Imagine the cost if I had outgrown 3-, 5- and 7-drum winders along the way

If I buy a new watch, I just add $250 to the cost and pick up an extra module. In many cases that's less than sales tax or PayPal fees. If I'm buying a $200 Seiko, the $250 winder cost hurts a bit, but I'm willing to pay for the long-term flexibility and downside protection.
    You make a good point here but they are pretty expensive. I feel like I can find a reliable, well built 2-watch winder for much less than $500 and probably for less than $300. The cost of switching from a 2 watch winder to a 3 then to a 4 would be cheaper until you get to higher unit winders. I assume wolfs will last longer but they probably aren't immune to breaking and would require replacing. So according to that thinking, getting a 4 drum watch winder would be more economical than getting the wolf module. Although, over the long run and as you approach 6 or 7 unit winders, the wolfs probably become more economical.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Edit: Duplicate post, not sure how to delete posts yet
    Last edited by KlamKrusher; October 5th, 2018 at 04:28.

I have several Wolf's and recently one stopped working after about 5 years. I ended up purchasing a JQueen from Amazon and have to say, have been rather impressed, especially given the price point. The fit and finish are not the same as the Wolf, but are probably 80-90% there. The operation and quietness has been on par. Very satisfied with my purchase.
    Last edited by wjhoffmann; October 6th, 2018 at 04:41. Reason: spelling
    KlamKrusher likes this.

I have a Wolf Roadster triple winder that I bought for <$500 secondhand and it really is amazing. I would prefer to have something smaller but I can't argue with how quiet it is, how well it works and how convenient it is.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwooten72 View Post
    I have a Wolf Roadster triple winder that I bought for <$500 secondhand and it really is amazing. I would prefer to have something smaller but I can't argue with how quiet it is, how well it works and how convenient it is.
    Maybe I'll peruse ebay for a while and see if I can snag a solid Wolf at a decent price.

edit: response posted twice, not sure how to delete
    Last edited by KlamKrusher; October 10th, 2018 at 00:33.

Thread Information