WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Ebay Omega SMP 2223.80.00 Real or Fake?

3K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  Chessnotcheckers 
#1 ·
Looking to see if this is indeed a genuine watch or clone. Seller claims it's 100% authentic but does not have any papers or a box. They have 100% feedback but with this much money it's nice to be sure b-) Especially since it will be my first 'luxury' watch purchase. Thanks in advance for any help!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch accessory Analog watch Watch Brass Metal
Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery Brass

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking to see if this is indeed a genuine watch or clone. Seller claims it's 100% authentic but does not have any papers or a box. They have 100% feedback but with this much money it's nice to be sure b-) Especially since it will be my first 'luxury' watch purchase. Thanks in advance for any help!

View attachment 14062399 View attachment 14062401 View attachment 14062403 View attachment 14062405 View attachment 14062407
I think all we can conclude from those pictures is that the seller needs a new camera.

#11 ·
It’s a terrible fake. IMO the watch in the picture with bond and the other pictures are two different watches. I think the watch in the bond picture is real and all the rest are of a fake. Compare the hands and the crown, they are totally different. The dial indices are also massive.... way bigger than they should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#12 ·
It's a terrible fake. IMO the watch in the picture with bond and the other pictures are two different watches. I think the watch in the bond picture is real and all the rest are of a fake. Compare the hands and the crown, they are totally different. The dial indices are also massive.... way bigger than they should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good point. I didn't bother to look at the other pictures given the awful quality, but you are spot on that those are two different watches.

#13 ·
Well this is going to be fun. - Either it's a fake or the pictures are just trash. Asked the seller for better pictures and some additional details. In photo #1 the hands appear to be different vs. photo #2 but in this photo they look the same (didn't upload it) perhaps it's the bad lighting? So if pic #1 could be genuine maybe the rest are of the same watch? We will see.

The seller has also been a member since 2009 and has various other high end/vintage watches for sale. Doesn't look like a dud account as of now based on the feedback history. Recently someone bought a Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional for $3,000 and left positive feedback. Few other high dollar transactions with US buyers. Still sketchy because ebay but buyer protection never let me down yet. Only had to use it once or twice for broken goods.

#14 ·
Well this is going to be fun. - Either it's a fake or the pictures are just trash. Asked the seller for better pictures and some additional details. In photo #1 the hands appear to be different vs. photo #2 but in this photo they look the same (didn't upload it) perhaps it's the bad lighting? So if pic #1 could be genuine maybe the rest are of the same watch? We will see.

View attachment 14065969 The seller has also been a member since 2009 and has various other high end/vintage watches for sale. Doesn't look like a dud account as of now based on the feedback history. Recently someone bought a Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional for $3,000 and left positive feedback. Few other high dollar transactions with US buyers. Still sketchy because ebay but buyer protection never let me down yet. Only had to use it once or twice for broken goods.
It isn't easy to take such awful pictures. Even the worst cellphone takes better pictures. The first picture with "James Bond" was perfectly fine.

Accordingly, you need ask "what is the seller trying to hide?"

Sorry, even if it turns out to be real, a buyer has to be a complete idiot to make a purchase based on these pictures. The eBay "buyer protection" may (or may not) cover you, but it will still be a huge pain in the neck.

Why don't you link to the auction, but in the meantime tell us this - are the photos in the other auctions equally as bad?

#20 ·
Listen to cb1111. Could be genuine but cannot be sure with those photos.

Anyone selling a genuine Omega with horrible photos like these will not get fair market value. But people do strange things sometimes. Tempting to take a risk if the price is right.

Also consider that if the photos too poor to authenticate they will probably not show condition issues.

#22 ·
Listen to cb1111. Could be genuine but cannot be sure with those photos.

Anyone selling a genuine Omega with horrible photos like these will not get fair market value. But people do strange things sometimes. Tempting to take a risk if the price is right.

Also consider that if the photos too poor to authenticate they will probably not show condition issues.
If the question concerns the condition of the goods , I fully agree with you. as with previous people.

#23 ·
The seller sent some more pictures which were marginally better. Definitely not the most ideal situation but ended up pulling the trigger at a price i think is worth the risk. Will update if it's a fake when i receive it next week. :think:

#27 ·
Re: Ebay Omega SMP 2221.80.00 Real or Fake?

The 41mm Omega 2221.80.00 came as pictured. Didn't notice anything odd right off but again I'm not a watch expert by any means. The band does need to be polished, glass and dial is pretty much spotless! - I'll be taking it to my Grandfathers Jeweler this weekend to verify authenticity as well as get it looking nice. :-!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal

Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Green Fashion accessory

#28 ·
Ebay always sides with the buyer. If it is a fake and the seller has a lot of sales or is a long time seller I wouldn't sweat it. Ebay will make them cough up the dough.

#31 ·
Definitely not an easy task. I refinished a link that was removed but do not want to attempt the whole thing since it's a decent chunk of change and my tools/skills are limited.

Fortunately my Jeweler says he can do it. The rep for the Jeweler said it might be $200-$250 though. Sounded a little high to me. Was thinking more like $75-$150.
I read some people get a complete service for the quartz SMP at $200-$400.

Curious what others have payed to have their SMP bracelet refinished. And Thanks again everyone! They believe it to be genuine but will know for sure once the owner is in.

#33 ·
My local jeweller refurbished my SMP with the same bracelet as yours for £60 although that my have been a special deal for me. If youre looking at that sort of money just for the bracelet its probably worth sending it to Omega for a full service. Ask them to pay particular attention to the bracelet and it will come back like new and they shouldn't charge more than their standard service charge.

#34 ·
Probably about 30 minutes tops to do the clasp and one link. If i had more equipment i'd be confident it would be done in an hour or two.
Going to let an expert do the rest since it's a $1000+ watch. Watch accessory Buckle Fashion accessory Material property Watch

And i agree for $200-$250 for the bracelet alone might as well get it serviced at Omega for $450. Seems like it's running 10 second fast per 24hours so it's probably due anyway.

#36 ·
@Chessnotcheckers - really nice job on that clasp! Did you use a scotch brite pad or something else? I sometimes use a scotch brite pad, and it works quite well.

BTW, +10 spd for a quartz is very fast. So I would recommend a service anyway. Congrats on a nice piece!

#37 ·
Thanks. I cut a piece of scotch brite pad that was about the size of the clasp. Used electric tape to cover the rest of the bracelet. Came out nice and didn't regret it instantly which is always good!

Watch is now at the Jeweler getting a full service. Looks to be a happy ending to this thread. Sometimes you do find crazy deals on ebay but with so many scammers/fakes it's a risky game. Scared money doesn't make money though. b-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.