Need some serious help....WW2 Omega with redial???

Thread: Need some serious help....WW2 Omega with redial???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some serious help....WW2 Omega with redial???

Hi guys!

could someone check this watch on rarity and authenticy? Is this a real omega timepiece, or just a replica?

Vintage Military WW2 OMEGA German Pilots Black Watch - eBay (item 330539594471 end time Mar-17-11 16:13:05 PDT)

I found out that the seller (or someone else) has updated the dial...so the triangle was a 12 before. Is this a true story? What will this redial (if it is a redial) do with the market price in the future?

Please leave a reply...you will help me big time!

Cheerz,

Ferdinand

Banned

Re: Need some serious help....WW2 Omega with redial???

Plese tell me you didn't pay $500.00 for that watch! From my limited knowledge, I can tell you that the movement might be real, but that's about it. Any Omega coming out of the Ukraine is pieced together, to look good, but has no real collector value. The inside of the caseback has no engraving, the dial isn't even close to being representative of the original, the hands are wrong, etc., etc., etc. If it runs, and you like the novelty of it, it might be worth up to $200.00, for the movement. Otherwise, you got beat. That is what we call a Franken. Sorry.

KAT

Dear Kat,

Thank you so much for your reply. I won the auction, but the text was confusing and I won't buy it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I found out that the seller (or someone else) has updated the dial...so the triangle was a 12 before. Is this a true story? What will this redial (if it is a redial) do with the market price in the future?
    as KatGirl said the only thing that is omega in that watch is the movement and possibly the dial but if so it's been totally repainted not just 1 number.

What happens is a wachmaker takes an omega pocket watch and takes the movement out of the case (or maybe the case was gold and sold for scrap) puts on cool looking hands and a new dial that he/she bought or made by totally repainting to original. viola it's now a big fashionable wrist watch. alternatively some just take a pocketwatch and weld strap lugs on it an call it a ww1 watch haha.

As a collectible it's worth nothing. As parts the movement may be worth $100(maybe). As a watch to wear it's worth whatever you are willing to pay. if that number is less than $510 i suggest you talk to the seller as he/she states
    If you're not satisfied with your purchase, contact me, and it will be a pleasure to discuss with you to resolve the situation. I always refund unsatisfied buyers who contact me. I also consider any other arrangement that you may want to take with me.

Hahahaha the WW1 watch welding trick is I think something alot do ;)

I contacted the seller and the buy is off....lucky me! Thanks to you guys. I'm still looking for something pretty, but I'll continue my search to find something more authentic...

Thanks guys

What do you guys think of this for instance?

Omega Seamaster Watch Timepiece - eBay (item 260750872630 end time Mar-18-11 11:20:40 PDT)

I am still new in this great hobby, but I'm searching for a nice vintage omega wich I can wear every day, and is an automatic. Is this something I need to look for, or would you advice something more new?

Quote Originally Posted by FerdinandNL View Post
    What do you guys think of this for instance?

Omega Seamaster Watch Timepiece - eBay (item 260750872630 end time Mar-18-11 11:20:40 PDT)

I am still new in this great hobby, but I'm searching for a nice vintage omega wich I can wear every day, and is an automatic. Is this something I need to look for, or would you advice something more new?
    Hah!
    Two for two.
    You managed to find another dodgy one. And for a nice sum of money.
    Seriously, this sale has everything you need to avoid when buying on ebay.
    Poor pic quality, no real closeup of the dial, no movement picture, no serial number, no case reference number, no papers of the recent service.

It could just as well be a perfectly nice and legitimate watch, but from the listing, there's no way of telling.

Keep looking and asking for advice.

Good luck
    Last edited by KringleKriss; March 18th, 2011 at 15:52. Reason: typo

:D I've got alot 2 learn....

Thanks man

No worries, you learned your lesson without having to pay for it.
    I suggest, if ebay is where you want to buy your watch, you spend a few weeks looking at auctions and checking with WUS when you find something you like. Also, try to read up a bit on vintage omegas so you know what you're looking at and to eliminate obvious fakes yourself.

IMO There are not enough pics nor are they big enough or clear enough to tell if it's good and the ending time is really to soon to expect him to take more.
    My advice:
    Slow down do some research put your money aside for a few weeks to a few month to read some of the really expert posts. You will avoid mistakes like that first watch and may be able to find a gem for relatively little but even if not relatively little you will find a gem and not a turd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information