Real/Fake?: Vintage Omega Seamaster (and bonus Girard Perregeaux)

Thread: Real/Fake?: Vintage Omega Seamaster (and bonus Girard Perregeaux)

Off Topic post Real/Fake?: Vintage Omega Seamaster (and bonus Girard Perregeaux)

The story is one you've heard before: the seller is offloading these watches for a client, so when I asked for pictures of the movement he says "of course I could get them if the client would take them, but I already have a lot of interest, why should I go to the trouble of..." blah blah blah. The seller has some other pieces for sale that instill confidence, however, I am still very much a virgin to vintage watches and would love a second opinion.

Also, bonus watch included, a Girard Perregeaux... I think both watches are beautiful, in their own right, all I would like to know is: are they the real deal?

Cheers.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  60.2 KBName:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 233
Size:  59.7 KBName:  s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views: 236
Size:  38.1 KBName:  s-l1600 (3).jpg
Size:  40.7 KBName:  s-l1600 (4).jpg
Size:  37.0 KB

Re: Real/Fake?: Vintage Omega Seamaster (and bonus Girard Perregeaux)

Well they may not be "Chinese" counterfeits, but that does not make them 100% genuine

The GP dial concerns me especially the "6", the back case of Omega maybe too.

I would NOT purchase either (even the bonus watch) without seeing the movement and inside back case (for model number) of the Omega
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Well they may not be "Chinese" counterfeits, but that does not make them 100% genuine

The GP dial concerns me especially the "6", the back case of Omega maybe too.

I would NOT purchase either (even the bonus watch) without seeing the movement and inside back case (for model number) of the Omega
    a
    Quite an observation on the "6", I hadn't been much concerned with that element until your post brought it to my attention. Seems as though GP wasn't opposed to using this font or slicing through the 6 on some sub-second dials through the 60s/70s, however, I've had a hell of a time trying to find a similar example to compare against.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by haywain View Post
    Quite an observation on the "6", I hadn't been much concerned with that element until your post brought it to my attention. Seems as though GP wasn't opposed to using this font or slicing through the 6 on some sub-second dials through the 60s/70s, however, I've had a hell of a time trying to find a similar example to compare against.
    Yes, quality of dials was not as important then, but that is truly bad, and raises concerns.
    i between never and rarely see an unworked Omega dial from that period, and in many cases greatly changed from its original model, hence I would want to see the movement caliber and model number on back case , but that is just me

best
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

First time I've seen gold hands/markers on a steel Omega watch....

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    First time I've seen gold hands/markers on a steel Omega watch....
    Exactly, common occurence on 50's models but pretty rare on these 60's period dress Omegas, a ref. should help....

S

Back in the seventies and prior to that time in was not uncommon for jewelers to customize watches
    with original parts (and after market) to suite the customers taste. There at one time case makers in
    the states making cases for many overseas makers as it was cheaper to just import the movements
    due to import taxes. If design and dimension considerations allowed it and at extra cost to the customer
    watches such as these were often purchased new. Even more so if repaired or serviced due to a
    customers request or expediency if exact originals were not in-house with the customers permission.
    This was a service offered at the time and was pretty much standard even more so with woman's watches
    as they preferred something more unique than what every other woman was wearing. Future value and collect-ability
    was not the consideration it seems to be today.
    Regards
    Mike
    by the time i get there,i'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by skoony View Post
    Back in the seventies and prior to that time in was not uncommon for jewelers to customize watches
    with original parts (and after market) to suite the customers taste. There at one time case makers in
    the states making cases for many overseas makers as it was cheaper to just import the movements
    due to import taxes. If design and dimension considerations allowed it and at extra cost to the customer
    watches such as these were often purchased new. Even more so if repaired or serviced due to a
    customers request or expediency if exact originals were not in-house with the customers permission.
    This was a service offered at the time and was pretty much standard even more so with woman's watches
    as they preferred something more unique than what every other woman was wearing. Future value and collect-ability
    was not the consideration it seems to be today.
    Regards
    Mike
    I absolutely agree but I think the customised watches were not from these value brackets as these simple omega dresswatches

Thread Information