Best all around shotgun for skeet/trap/SCs?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Best all around shotgun for skeet/trap/SCs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I enjoy shooting and have decided to start Skeet/trap/sporting clays. The last time I shot sheet was over 20 years ago. This is for fun ... not for competition.

I am asking for recommendations for which shotgun to purchase ... a semi auto or an over/under? And do you recommend a 12 or 20 gauge?

My initial research has led me to two guns: Baretta Silver Pigeon for over/under it a Benelli Ethos (semi automatic).

I would like to learn your advice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Best all around shotgun for skeet/trap/SCs?

I have a CZ Sporter model which is the best shotgun I have ever used. I’m a CZ fan in general and any of their over/under would be fine. You can get some basic models for $500 or so like the Drake or Redhead
    Dougiebaby likes this.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

I will second CZs for over-unders. They have lots of quality for their price point. If this is a skeet/trap only gun that is where I would look. If you plan on hunting with the shotgun at some point I would get a semi-auto. I shoot trap/skeet with my hunting shotguns for practice.

As far as 12g vs 20g........ really depends. Once again if you are going to hunt at all with it I would go 12g. Lots more options and the shotgun will have more uses. If this will be a trap/skeet only shotgun...... or used for dove/quail a 20g is a great option. Lower recoil for longer shooting sessions.
    Dougiebaby likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I shoot trap at least once a week, and as stated above I own and LOVE my CZ. I have the CZ Redhead Premier Target over under, and its awesome! If you are going to use the Shotgun for trap/skeet/sporting clays, over under is the way to go. It allows you to have two separate barrels with two separate chokes which you will want with different trap/sporting clays events. For instance, if you are shooting 5 stand you are shooting two clays at a time. The first clay you will want an improved modified choke and the second a full choke because your second clay will be further away as it has been flying longer if that makes sense to you. So an over under gives you the advantage of having two barrels and two chokes. For an all around gun the CZ Redhead Premier Target can't be beat IMHO. MSRP is $1430.00 so not breaking the bank and they are very well made. I've owned mine for 2.5 years and it has worked flawlessly and powders those clays! I'd go 12ga if you are not averse to its recoil which is minimal if you are shooting #7.5 or 8 shot size. Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any questions I may be able to help you with.��
    omeglycine and Dougiebaby like this.

Either of the guns you mentioned are pretty light for a target gun but will work fine for casual skeet and sporting. They would be more of a compromise for trap, as trap guns shoot high so you don't have to cover the target. From a recoil standpoint, and to a lesser extent, wear and tear, you would be better served with a target gun for target shooting. Beretta makes plenty of them if you are partial to that brand. If you are only going to have one gun, get a 12 gauge.
    Dougiebaby likes this.

Remington VersaMax Competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44nK-3RmPoY
    Dougiebaby likes this.

CZ all day long. Best shotguns money can buy. Like someone said earlier, they hold up well and if you get the 20ga you’re all set. 12 is too much for trap or skeet
    Dougiebaby likes this.

Agree with otherís recommendations for an over / under for regular clay sports. The point about having two barrels with different chokes for use in sporting clays is a good idea. O/Us also reliably handle reloaded shells. If youíre going to shoot clay sports a lot it wonít be long before youíll want to reload because you can cut your ammo costs almost in half once you invest in a reloading tool like a MEC. A lot of guys will tailor their reloads a bit to soften the kick a bit. I was in a skeet league for years. When you shoot 100 - 150 rounds a week you want to manage recoil because otherwise you can develop a flinch. Itís the weirdest thing because you donít think the kick is uncomfortable but your brain & body conspire and when you go to pull the trigger thereís this unconscious hesitation that results in a miss. Also, itís easy to catch the empty shells when you open the action on a O/U right in your hand. With an auto they get ejected and you gotta bend down and pick them up, sometimes they land in snow or mud.

For O/Us Iím a Browning guy and for an all purpose gun that can be used for the major clay sports (skeet, clays & trap) and field Iíd suggest a Browning Citori CXS. If you really get into it youíll want tools for each event but one all purpose gun is better when youíre getting going.

Benelli makes really nice autos. I have a friend of mine who uses one at the range and in the field and he loves it if you go that route.
    Dougiebaby likes this.
    We may be lost but we're making good time.

Well I purchased this today

https://youtu.be/8jvus5JB9UU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    supawabb likes this.

Nice gun! You can't go wrong with a Benelli! Enjoy and happy shooting it's an awesome addicting sport!
    Dougiebaby likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information