Is cash still king? - Page 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is cash still king?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Is cash still king?

Quote Originally Posted by PrisonEscapementWheel View Post
    Attachment 14063069
    Do you sell doomsday bunkers for a living? Any apocalyptic catastrophe that renders bank cards worthless is going to do the same for your paper money.
    Sorry, you're wrong. Once again.... 9/11.

Roads shut down. But haphazardly. Vast majority of cabbies refused to risk getting pulled over by the NYPD. Especially since most of them were the wrong ethnicity for that day. (Or could easily be mistaken for such.) Still, no one thought 9/11 was the Apocalypse. Cash still ruled the day. Both licensed cabbies and co-workers with cars were happily willing to chance it.... for a price.

One individual who years later became a co-worker loved to brag about how much he cleared that day simply driving co-workers home from a job in which most of them took public transportation. He wasn't well-liked, and quite frankly didn't care much for his co-workers. Apparently he made about three runs that day piling way too many co-workers into his large SUV. It was cash only, and no one rode for free. Needless to say, the ones who carried no cash were screwed!

He raved how he made just over $5K by making three trips to pick up more co-workers. And the ones who got a ride were still grateful despite his gouging. He did mention how one rather attractive Soccer mom co-worker who carried no cash offered him "something else" in exchange. But her husband had a very unsavory reputation. To put it mildly. So he decided not to take her up on the offer.

World doesn't need to come to an end for C.C.s and debit cards to become useless. During those times, people will happily accept cash since they know things will soon return to normal.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

I always carry cash. Always have.

I use my debit card a good bit, but I've always got a little cash on hand.

I always carry cash. Always have.

I use my debit card a good bit, but I've always got a little cash on hand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Thank you for being a typical example of what I was referring to. Some folks just need to learn things the hard way. Fair enough.
    And how, exactly am I going to "learn the hard way"?

I would, in all honesty, be very curious about what the obvious thing is. Because I've never received even a raised eyebrow at paying for low-value items with a credit card. Much less some sort of public embarrassment.

As far as they hypothetical emergency situation. I work 5 km from home. Most of my life is lived within a 20 km radius of home. I'm not spending money, I'm not 'calling a cab' in those quasi-emergency situations - I'm heading straight home. Where, yes we have a bug out bag that includes cash - among other things.

Is it possible, maybe, that your broad spectrum generalization of people that don't live your way as "frickin brainless idiots" is a misplaced over generalization?
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Sorry, you're wrong. Once again.... 9/11.

Roads shut down. But haphazardly. Vast majority of cabbies refused to risk getting pulled over by the NYPD. Especially since most of them were the wrong ethnicity for that day. (Or could easily be mistaken for such.) Still, no one thought 9/11 was the Apocalypse. Cash still ruled the day. Both licensed cabbies and co-workers with cars were happily willing to chance it.... for a price.

One individual who years later became a co-worker loved to brag about how much he cleared that day simply driving co-workers home from a job in which most of them took public transportation. He wasn't well-liked, and quite frankly didn't care much for his co-workers. Apparently he made about three runs that day piling way too many co-workers into his large SUV. It was cash only, and no one rode for free. Needless to say, the ones who carried no cash were screwed!

He raved how he made just over $5K by making three trips to pick up more co-workers. And the ones who got a ride were still grateful despite his gouging. He did mention how one rather attractive Soccer mom co-worker who carried no cash offered him "something else" in exchange. But her husband had a very unsavory reputation. To put it mildly. So he decided not to take her up on the offer.

World doesn't need to come to an end for C.C.s and debit cards to become useless. During those times, people will happily accept cash since they know things will soon return to normal.
    Not every emergency is 9/11, and not every city is 9/11. Your example makes literally no sense where I live. I wouldn't take a cab to get anywhere if a similar situation occurred where I liked. I'd walk. Or hike. Or run.

Also, your co-worker sounds like a profiteering jackass. I'd sooner walk than share a ride with him.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

I always have some sort of cash on me. Maybe not a lot but without it feels as weird as not having a watch on.

I think it depends a lot on location. I was just in the states on business the last 2 weeks and I was the only person who I saw using cash.

??CC didn't stop working on 9/11. You know one guy that operated an illegal cab for one day and he only took cash. So does the corner heroin dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Not every emergency is....
    Regarding both your above responses, you're either trying to troll me or you're one of those guys who stumbles ignorantly through life thinking that nothing out of the ordinary ever happens to him. Just to others. I've learned not to waste my time on individuals such as you. As I've said, some folks simply have to learn the hard way. That's alright. Have a good one anyway.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by PrisonEscapementWheel View Post
    ??CC didn't stop working on 9/11. You know one guy that operated an illegal cab for one day and he only took cash. So does the corner heroin dealer.
    You missed the obvious. Even medallion cabs were only risking arrest and possible violence for cash money, off the books. Even though they had credit card readers that worked. The "improvised" cabbies obviously had no credit card readers. Thus only took cash. Honestly, I thought that point was rather obvious from the description of events I gave.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information