Cole Haan Shoes
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Cole Haan Shoes

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Cole Haan Shoes

I went shopping yesterday and happened by a Cole Haan store. I've got lots of Cole Haan shoes from the 1970s - 1990s, but none more recently made. I love my old CH shoes, especially the Bragano loafers. Looking at CH's offerings yesterday, I was disappointed. I even checked CH's website later and what I saw there isn't any better. <sigh>

Do any of you who've been wearing CH shoes for a very long time also feel they just aren't as nice -- stylistically "cool" -- as they used to be? I'm sure CH's shoes these days are well enough made, but they are just boring looking to me these days, and those that aren't dull have "odd" lines. I was looking for loafers, and admittedly, I have a lot of shoes, so "typical" styles and designs don't strike me all that much. Perhaps that's the issue?

CH's lack of interesting styles isn't that big a deal. Just something I noticed and wondered if others have noticed it too.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: Cole Haan Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    I went shopping yesterday and happened by a Cole Haan store. I've got lots of Cole Haan shoes from the 1970s - 1990s, but none more recently made. I love my old CH shoes, especially the Bragano loafers. Looking at CH's offerings yesterday, I was disappointed. I even checked CH's website later and what I saw there isn't any better. <sigh>

Do any of you who've been wearing CH shoes for a very long time also feel they just aren't as nice -- stylistically "cool" -- as they used to be? I'm sure CH's shoes these days are well enough made, but they are just boring looking to me these days, and those that aren't dull have "odd" lines. I was looking for loafers, and admittedly, I have a lot of shoes, so "typical" styles and designs don't strike me all that much. Perhaps that's the issue?

CH's lack of interesting styles isn't that big a deal. Just something I noticed and wondered if others have noticed it too.

All the best.
    Agreed that they don't seem to be as nice or as well made as they used to be. I started with them back in the late 80's. It seems since Nike bought them it's been a confused brand and a slow decline in quality. The fit seems to be very inconsistent as well, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Bonedeedo View Post
    Agreed that they don't seem to be as nice or as well made as they used to be. I started with them back in the late 80's. It seems since Nike bought them it's been a confused brand and a slow decline in quality. The fit seems to be very inconsistent as well, at least to me.
    Interesting that you mentioned the fit. Back in the '80s, I knew exactly what size to get based on whether the shoe was Bregano or one of the other lines. I didn't even have to try them on; they always fit perfectly. My old size nines still fit just fine, but the other day, I couldn't have got my foot in a size nine CH without divine intervention. LOL

TY for sharing your observation.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm too young to know what the cole haan of old were like. From what I've seen of the current ones I can't say I've liked the finish of them, they feel cheap.

I have a preference for English shoes generally. Jeffery west I really like for their finish and quality for the price. American shoes I really like Allen Edmonds; I didn't like Alden - they were well made but we're just so boring. Italian shoes are stylistically nice but You also have to treat them that way. Yes I polish my shoes regularly but they just are fragile

To my knowledge, the only really well made American shoes these days are Alden. After that, it's best to look to England...

Personally, I am fond of Trickers and Crockett & Jones...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Style wise, I like Zegna myself but honestly. However, my favourite shoes are cheap 100 dollar hush puppies. They are noisy which may be deal breakers for some. But I see a lot of clients and move around all day and Hush Puppies are the closest dress shoes to runners I could find. Straight out water proofing helps where I am too where it rains a lot.

Allen Edmonds are crazy durable but just not my style.
    Last edited by Tomatoes11; March 28th, 2015 at 06:57.
    MLJinAK likes this.

Alden are very nice, well made, conservative shoes, you can't go wrong. I like To Boot New York for more casual choices. Also, I have some Ferragamo shoes I've had for a while, had one pair resoled and they've held up very nicely, but they're not so conservative in their styling. It's a shame Cole Haan has become a bit of hit or miss.

It is strange how we hold on to the pieces of the past while we wait for our futures.
    ― Ally Condie, Matched

Not that this has anything to do with Cole Haan, but Alden, Peal & Co., Crockett & Jones each make/made shoes for Brooks Brothers. Allen Edmonds, AFAIK doesn't/didn't. The styles each of them seem pretty similar to me, but all of them make very nice shoes. C&J offer a few perforated toe designs that I don't know if the others offer, Peal still make a beautiful house/evening slipper and I haven't seen that style from the others. Short of those few exceptions, I don't see a whole lot that's different among the various makers' styling; all of them are super conservative/traditional shoes.

I like staid shoes well enough and have plenty of them. I liked Cole Haan mainly for their low slung Italian loafers and boots, my favorites of which were made from woven leather or exotic skins, but all of which are incredibly comfortable and are basically updated versions of traditional themes. As you can see from the pics below, a great many of them were made on a slipper design, which is why, I think, they are so comfortable. I'm just glad I have a lot of them so I don't have to wear any one pair so often that they'll wear out.

The Braganos were among the few makes of shoe that I'd often buy in whatever color they were offered because they are so comfortable and look awesome with jeans and with slacks, and with or without socks. The other great thing is about them is that they were (usually) considerably less dear than designer shoes of that era. Something like them was what I was hoping Cole Haan might have once again included in their collection. Alas, no such thing has happened.

All the best.

I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.
    ― Andy Bernard
    mike4761 and not12bhere like this.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    To my knowledge, the only really well made American shoes these days are Alden. After that, it's best to look to England...

Personally, I am fond of Trickers and Crockett & Jones...

Also, Allen Edmonds is US made. I own a number of pairs of Alden and Allen Edmonds and like both. Alden tends to be more "robust" in their build, but not necessarily better in my view. AE tends to offer more variety in terms of styles. I agree that Cole Hahn is out of the picture in regard to shoes I would consider buying.
    MLJinAK likes this.

I'm gonna take y'all's word for it re: Alden and AE. I have all the conservative, business shoes I can possibly ever need, so I doubt either maker's offerings will be what I'm looking for. Loafers, boots and other casual styles (non-sneaker) are "my thing" when it comes to shoes.

All the best.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast