How old were you when you bought your first luxury watch and what was it?
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: How old were you when you bought your first luxury watch and what was it?

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

How old were you when you bought your first luxury watch and what was it?

Hi everyone, this is my first post to the forums! A lot of us were bitten with the watch bug at a young age. My first luxury watch was a Breitling Blackbird A13350, purchased when I was 17. Ever since then I've been hooked. What was your first luxury watch and how old were you? Include a picture if you can!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: How old were you when you bought your first luxury watch and what was it?

My first was the Omega Seamaster 300Mc, I got it when I was 38.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Omega Seamaster 300m Ref 210.30.42.20.01.001
    Oris Aquis "Hulk"
    Citizen Eco Drive Calibre 8700

My Dad gave me his Datejust as an 18th birthday present, but I have to have it restored which cost almost as much as buying a new watch.......
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Breitling SOH at 25 or 26
    Rolex Milgauss GV at the age of 28
    From there, it spiraled out of control. C'est la vie.
    aced75 and Persequeris1861 like this.
    It is the thrill of the hunt...never satisfied with my collection.

18. Tag Heuer 2000. That was 28 years and I don't know how many dozen watches ago. My brother in law still wears the watch.

Depends on what Luxury is - bought my Cartier at 24, Rolex at 26, Lange at 27...
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

I guess that really would depend on definitions of luxury.
    Growing up, I wore a hand-me-down Timex just like the one my Dad wore.
    I never knew that I had a watch interest until for my high school graduation my parents gave me a brand new Baylor Chronograph. For our family, that was quite an extravagant thing. I loved that watch, still have it.
    The first decent watch that I purchased was an used Omega Seamaster, I was about 21-22.
    Some years later a used 18k Longines Ultrachron followed me home.
    Then a used Heuer chronograph and another Omega Seamaster and then another Heuer and then an 18k Constellation.
    Next came a used Omega Speedy moon watch and a few other odds 'n ends including Tissot, Longines and other Omegas. Always trading for something different.
    During that time period a couple of Longines and a Daniel Mink went home for my wife.

In the modern era, I bought my first Rolex Datejust at about age 45, pre-owned of course.
    Shortly after, I got her a Datejust and these were followed by a slow but steady procession of traded upgrade pieces for both of us.
    Eventually I ended up with a delightful Submariner that will probably hang around for a while (like for life).
    Other brands came and went at various times like Raymond Weil, Movado, Tag, etc.
    Baume & Mercier and Panerai also later joined the party.

So, as I said up front, it depends on the definition of luxury.
    Some would say I've never owned a luxury watch.
    I always thought I was pretty fortunate to have been able to save up for that first used Omega Seamaster. Seemed pretty luxurious to me.
    The dainty little Ultrachron has always held a spot in my heart and it seems luxury to me.

Whatever the definition, it's all fun to me.

Enjoy!

Omega Speedmaster Auto, I was around 22 or 23 at the time. BNIB was around 900 bucks.
    phthano likes this.

I purchased my first high-end watch in my late 20's. It was an Audemars Piguet, and that was almost 40 years ago. I sold it about 20 years ago and still miss it, even though I have other fine watches to take its place.
    Last edited by ThomG; July 16th, 2016 at 18:36.

At the "ripe, old age of 28" (many moons ago!) I bought myself a Tag Heuer quartz thing (don't remember the model) in Curaçao, Dutch Antilles

It's similar to the one on this photo:

Name:  heuer962-1.jpg
Views: 3195
Size:  21.6 KB
    Last edited by estevezj777; July 18th, 2016 at 07:22.
    Quantumleap likes this.
    "Other things being equal, simpler explanations are generally better than more complex ones"... Occam's razor

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information