The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 163
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Napa, California, United States
    Posts
    6

    The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    I didn't see any wine-related threads here so I figured I'd start one. I'm pretty green in the horological department, but well-aged in the wine arena. I live/work in Napa, and have been immersed in the industry for about five years. I think there are a lot of similarities between fine wines and watches, and I'm sure some of you have a nice cellar stocked with Grand Crus, First Growths, and Cult cabs. I taste a LOT of wines for my job, and like to think I have pretty good taste.

    Whether you're a collector or just a weeknight sipper, share your favorites here.

    Some of my recent favorites:

    2003 Vinatieri Cabernet Sauvignon, Yountville CA
    2011 Tantara Corral Pinot Noir
    2012 Orin Swift Palermo
    2009 Red Cap Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, Howell Mountain
    2013 Orin Swift China Doll Rose
    2011 Epoch Estate Blend
    2007 Newton Unfiltered Merlot, Spring Mountain (AMAZING)

    Name:  10413039_1442488142668185_753078409_n.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  91.2 KB
    Name:  923664_731450046894391_813458906_n.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  78.7 KB
    Name:  10387801_1383868115235038_1110556671_n.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  99.4 KB
    Name:  10358237_455004427968558_177116451_n.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  101.1 KB
    Name:  10354542_440467769421861_1067867113_n.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  112.7 KB

  2. #2
    Member Mediocre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Suburbia USA
    Posts
    9,627

    Re: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    Have enjoyed these most recently

    Decoy Cab 2011
    Decoy Merlot 2012
    Jordan Cab 2009

    And a light, ultra-affordable that has proven fit for hot summer days

    Crios Rose of Malbec 2012
    mmeisner likes this.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

  3. #3
    Member Nokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    27,875

    Re: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    Anything by St. Francis, Chateau St. Jean, and Rodney Strong.
    Haneyar likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

    "The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kangaroo City
    Posts
    562

    Re: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    Reds: Go French. Go Bordeaux. Go St Emilion.

    The merlot is sublime.
    Which cru? So long as it's 'appellation controlee', it's good enough for me!

  6. #5
    Member Rades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    9

    Re: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    Had a bottle of 1998 Penfolds St. Henri a few weeks ago, it was superb
    Have a bottle of 2002 Lakes Folly Cabernet I'll be opening in the next few days. I've always loved their wines however the last one I had was disappointing as it had an overly mineral taste.. let's hope I'm not unlucky twice in a row.

    These are Australian premium wines - consider me uneducated when it comes to international wines, however one of my every day drinkers is the Zinfandel Wente does from San Francisco Bay, pretty decent wine for the price

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Napa, California, United States
    Posts
    6

    Re: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    Have enjoyed these most recently

    Decoy Cab 2011
    Decoy Merlot 2012
    Jordan Cab 2009

    And a light, ultra-affordable that has proven fit for hot summer days

    Crios Rose of Malbec 2012
    Nice picks! Love Jordan and Duckhorn. I have never had (or seen) a Rose of Malbec, sounds interesting though. My Summer Rose choice this year has been Orin Swift's "China Doll". I just picked up a case of that, and the "Mannequin" white blend they make, which is outstanding. They win for creepiest labels too.

    Last year I was hooked on Belle Glos Rose of Pinot from the Caymus/Wagner tasting room....but I think I really need to explore the Provence options more. I'm too much of a CA fiend.

  8. #7
    IPA
    IPA is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    379

    Re: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    At a bachelor party I attended last weekend we had a Dom Perignon 2004 and a Krug Grand Cuvée, fantastic champagnes! The other day I also tried some German ausleses that I bought some years ago - I usually prefer the dry ones but nothing produces the nose of late harvested Mozel rieslinggrapes. Mesmerizing smell from these underappreciated wines!

  9. #8
    Member Mediocre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Suburbia USA
    Posts
    9,627

    Re: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    Quote Originally Posted by mmeisner View Post
    Nice picks! Love Jordan and Duckhorn. I have never had (or seen) a Rose of Malbec, sounds interesting though. My Summer Rose choice this year has been Orin Swift's "China Doll". I just picked up a case of that, and the "Mannequin" white blend they make, which is outstanding. They win for creepiest labels too.

    Last year I was hooked on Belle Glos Rose of Pinot from the Caymus/Wagner tasting room....but I think I really need to explore the Provence options more. I'm too much of a CA fiend.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a taste!
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kangaroo City
    Posts
    562

    Re: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    Quote Originally Posted by Rades View Post
    Had a bottle of 1998 Penfolds St. Henri a few weeks ago, it was superb
    Have a bottle of 2002 Lakes Folly Cabernet I'll be opening in the next few days. I've always loved their wines however the last one I had was disappointing as it had an overly mineral taste.. let's hope I'm not unlucky twice in a row.

    These are Australian premium wines - consider me uneducated when it comes to international wines, however one of my every day drinkers is the Zinfandel Wente does from San Francisco Bay, pretty decent wine for the price

    May I suggest Tobreck Woodcutter's Shiraz?

    At $25 per bottle, it is an awesome bargain.
    Available at many stores.
    It's my daily tipple.
    mmeisner likes this.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    299

    Re: The Oenophile Thread - Your Favorite Wines

    Did an Alpha Omega tasting at my job last week and I have to say the 2010 Era was a keeper. The nose was exceptionally well integrated with notes of mocha espresso, cedar, clove dark berries and vanilla... It was rich and needed a dip in a decanter. Really made me think of 2006 scarecrow tasted a few months ago.

    If you want a napa cult, show stopper I always scream Harlan from the roof tops! I have tried many vintages and it's the truth:)

    Champagne used to be my forte and Bollinger Grande Annee was my jam. I love the robust structure from the Pinot. There are a ton of grower producers that I'd probably fall in love with, but several years ago I worked with an arrogant, pompous sommelier who insisted I try Jacque Selosse Substance if I ever got the chance. Well, one night he popped a bottle and had me try it and all I have to say is if you see it and can afford it take the plunge!

    My favorite non domestic red is Numanthia-Termanthia and favorite white is.... D'yquem duh :)

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •