Bremont Airco Mach 1 and Bremont Relationsihps with Retailers

Thread: Bremont Airco Mach 1 and Bremont Relationsihps with Retailers

Bremont Airco Mach 1 and Bremont Relationsihps with Retailers

Been looking for a sporty watch I can wear on a strap. Something nice and cool, but that I don't need to worry about. I like the S300 models, as well as the new MOD Broadsword, but while neither is too big on me -- they just don't sit great. The Airco Mach 1 feels better. So, fit is good, but I'm not sure whether it has too much of a vintage look to it, as compared with one of the various IWC Mark XVIII models, or going in a totally different direction and price-point, say the Oris Chronoris. I need to answer that question, but happy to receive input and suggestions from others. One other point, I think that Bremont does a lot of things well, but the dials seem pretty flat and one-dimensional. Like they are printed. To me, that is the weak spot on these models at this price point. Question is whether that is enough for me to pass on the watch.

Separately, in looking and pricing it, I called a well known retailer which is used by many WIS and has a great reputation. The retailer advised that, while it had done a ton of business with Bremont, they no longer carry them because it was not mutually beneficial. This is not the first time I have heard this complaint from a retailer about Bremont. That is disappointing and confusing. What is Bremont's end-game here. They are not big enough to use the IWC/Omega model and start moving to company boutiques only. I just don't get it and it does not reflect well on the company that it seems that they can't manage sensible business relationships with retailers. Interested in thoughts.

Re: Bremont Airco Mach 1 and Bremont Relationsihps with Retailers

Quote Originally Posted by dberg View Post
    Separately, in looking and pricing it, I called a well known retailer which is used by many WIS and has a great reputation. The retailer advised that, while it had done a ton of business with Bremont, they no longer carry them because it was not mutually beneficial. This is not the first time I have heard this complaint from a retailer about Bremont. That is disappointing and confusing. What is Bremont's end-game here. They are not big enough to use the IWC/Omega model and start moving to company boutiques only. I just don't get it and it does not reflect well on the company that it seems that they can't manage sensible business relationships with retailers. Interested in thoughts.
    I'm not one to typically defend Bremont, but unless the retailer both told you exactly why they parted ways with Bremont and said retailer was being truthful to you, then it seems like you're just speculating here. Correct, it's the not first time you've heard of a Bremont/AD split and it won't be the last. The fact is that it's not uncommon at all for a brand, Bremont included, and an AD to part ways for reasons that we commoners are not privy to. So blaming Bremont entirely, questioning their motivates, and saying that they can't manage sensible business relationships is misguided at the least, especially because you don't know the story behind their split. And I say all of this as someone who is generally critical of Bremont.

Re: Bremont Airco Mach 1 and Bremont Relationsihps with Retailers

You are correct that I don't have all of the facts. No doubt about that. But, the fact that the retailer is able to manage relationships with scores of other top brand manufacturers -- I mean from Tudor to Omega to ALS -- suggests to me that Bremont is likely the one who is/was being unreasonable. Again, a little speculation. But, the question I am raising is what is their end-game? Where do they want to be in the market and at what price range. This ties in with my other comments. Great design and tech on the case and finish, but the dial and movement need work. Interested in comments from others.

Thread Information