Bremont ALT-1 ZT/51 A Birthday Gift ?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By vipereaper30
  • 1 Post By TigerDore
  • 2 Post By Alysandir

Thread: Bremont ALT-1 ZT/51 A Birthday Gift ?

Bremont ALT-1 ZT/51 A Birthday Gift ?

Hi @Samanator
    Hi @Alysandir
    Hi @Vipereaper30
    Hi Guys !

First , I apologize from the bottom of my heart for not naming everyone in the Bremont forum but You know Who You Are My name is Megan & i usually hang out in the Omega forum.There are so many brilliant esteemed minds that i feel so small here as an amateur WIS but i really need your honest answers & brutal assessment of the new Bremont ALT 1-ZT/51

I went window shopping in biggest mall in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia yesterday looking for a potential Contemporary Military Vintage Inspired pilot chronograph timepiece for my boyfriend's birthday in Oct. My bf is a nut case for WW2 aircrafts & he has many of those Tamiya plastic model kit combat planes in his room that include i think a Spitfire, P 51 Mustang , a couple of Luffwaffe warplanes , i think its a Messers-something & a name that sounds like the 4 letter word

In the Swiss Watch Gallery boutique, I kept staring at the ALT ZT/ P 51 & thought it was arguably the sweetest, the nicest, most handsome Bremont Aviation Chronograph timepiece in the case display. So Sorry Guys , photos from websiteThe initial plan was to purchase one of the followings

■Sinn EZM 10
    Silicon Strap Price offered - USD 5150
    Yeah , i know it's a Bad Ass Watch & i need to order 8-10 weeks in advance since the Sinn EZM 10 is not available in Malaysia & Singapore as of now

■IWC 3777-09 MKXVIII
    Apparently no discounts on IWC 2016 latest offerings. Really Guys ?
    Price USD 5625

Now , the SWG GM , after the stardard Bremont marketing blah blah blah verbatim said he could offer the ALT1 -ZT/51 for USD 4700

Is that a fair price Guys ? Some readers were saying the retail price of this British Luxury Watch brand will be going up soon but with the Brexit thinghy & weakening of the Pound Sterling , shouldnt the price come down ? I hope you guys understand i'm a little hesistant taking the plunge for a young British company , i mean the word "London" on the dial would be a first !

I would appreciate a more balance view on this timepiece after receiving "Not So Enthusiastic Not so Favourable replies from the Omega forum readers

Thank You So Much Guys !

Yours Sincerely
    -Megan-

Re: Bremont ALT-1 ZT/51 A Birthday Gift ?

Welcome to the Bremont forum Megan!

Your bf is a lucky guy, no matter which timepiece you settle on he will be very happy I'm sure. My advice would be to feel him out a little bit (without giving away the surprise) to make sure he is open to Bremont. Unfortunately it's a little bit of a polarizing brand and there are many who are turned off by some of Bremont's marketing techniques.

If you know he likes the brand or is at least impartial then the Alt-1 ZT/51 looks like it would be a great option. I haven't seen this model in person but it is one of Bremont's better designs out of their newest offerings.

The price you've been quoted sounds reasonable and seems to me a pretty good discount from retail. The Brexit thingy should mean their prices would go down, if anything. But remember most of their inputs come from out of country so their costs have gone up and maybe they need to protect fat margins.

Good luck and let us know which one you decide to go with. Then post pics to make us all more jealous!
    Last edited by vipereaper30; August 21st, 2016 at 18:43.
    meganfox17 likes this.

Welcome, Megan!

I am a fan of all three brands. Of the three you listed, the Bremont may the best value at $4700 and it is definitely the most vintage look, but all three are great timepieces and the few hundred dollars difference in price should not be the deciding factor for a lifetime watch. The IWC may have the most dress-up factor, while the Sinn is busier and more of a pure tool watch look. The Bremont dresses well too, in my opinion.

I would go with the vintage look of the Bremont, but that is my own personal preference.
    meganfox17 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

$4700 USD for that watch is a very good price, considering that my AD sells the Alt1-ZT - the watch that serves as the basis for the P51 - for $5900 USD with no discount. And I daresay that the P51 is more attractive.

They all use the Valjoux 775x movement, so you're really making a choice here on the quality and aesthetics of the case (Bremont swaps some parts out plus beds it in a Faraday cage and antishock encasement, but I would have to assume IWC and Sinn do something similar). What truly sets Bremont cases apart is the quality of the steel (hardest you can get in a watch) and the 18 layers of anti-reflectant coating on the sapphire crystals (9 on each side of it).

Looking at complications, they all have chronographs and date complications. The Bremont adds both a GMT hand and a GMT bezel, meaning you can track time in three different time zones, if you require. The IWC adds a day complication and that's about it. The Sinn adds a 24-hour indicator (can this be used as a GMT function? Not sure) and a count-down bezel. So here I would also go with Bremont for giving you the best bang for your money.

Prestige? If you care about such things, I would say that IWC has the highest "perceived prestige" as a brand of the three, then Bremont, then Sinn. But none will have name recognition outside of watch circles and should safely fly beneath the radar, with perhaps the occasional courtesy nod of recognition by watch enthusiasts.

But...at the end of the day, a watch has to have the right aesthetics for its owner. It has to look right and "feel" right and be an extension of the owner. So while I think it's great you want to surprise your bf with a watch, I would absolutely 100% ask him if he'd wear something like the P51 before buying it. You don't have to tell him you're getting it for him as a present, but you should at least say something like, "Hey, I think this would look really attractive on you, would you wear something like this?" If he gives you the green light, then by all means, get the P51. That's the best watch here (although I'm admittedly biased).

Finally, your concerns about Bremont being a "young British company" are understandable. Especially nowadays with luxury watch purchasing falling into another recession, it's difficult to say who may or may not be there in the coming years. But that's sort of the risk you take with most companies not named Rolex or Patek Philippe. The good news is, the watch is tough, and should last you for many years without needing Bremont's attention. And should it come to pass that Bremont does not persist and you need the watch serviced, the fact that you have a ETA movement means you can basically have the watch serviced anywhere in the world without difficulty. Also, one of the potential upsides of backing a young "upstart" is that we do not yet know where Bremont's ceiling is; as has been observed by a number of writers, Bremont has the capability to go on and do great things and may in time ultimately work themselves into the prestige ranks of watchmaking, whereas Sinn and IWC are what they are. Twenty years from now, that P51 may be an instant classic or just another watch. Part of the fun is in the wait-and-see.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    Last edited by Alysandir; August 21st, 2016 at 19:04.
    TigerDore and meganfox17 like this.
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

Great post and tremendous answer! I agree with everything Alysandir said. This is a crucial point as well:

What truly sets Bremont cases apart is the quality of the steel (hardest you can get in a watch) and the 18 layers of anti-reflectant coating on the sapphire crystals (9 on each side of it).

Quote Originally Posted by Alysandir View Post
    $4700 USD for that watch is a very good price, considering that my AD sells the Alt1-ZT - the watch that serves as the basis for the P51 - for $5900 USD with no discount. And I daresay that the P51 is more attractive.

They all use the Valjoux 775x movement, so you're really making a choice here on the quality and aesthetics of the case (Bremont swaps some parts out plus beds it in a Faraday cage and antishock encasement, but I would have to assume IWC and Sinn do something similar). What truly sets Bremont cases apart is the quality of the steel (hardest you can get in a watch) and the 18 layers of anti-reflectant coating on the sapphire crystals (9 on each side of it).

Looking at complications, they all have chronographs and date complications. The Bremont adds both a GMT hand and a GMT bezel, meaning you can track time in three different time zones, if you require. The IWC adds a day complication and that's about it. The Sinn adds a 24-hour indicator (can this be used as a GMT function? Not sure) and a count-down bezel. So here I would also go with Bremont for giving you the best bang for your money.

Prestige? If you care about such things, I would say that IWC has the highest "perceived prestige" as a brand of the three, then Bremont, then Sinn. But none will have name recognition outside of watch circles and should safely fly beneath the radar, with perhaps the occasional courtesy nod of recognition by watch enthusiasts.

But...at the end of the day, a watch has to have the right aesthetics for its owner. It has to look right and "feel" right and be an extension of the owner. So while I think it's great you want to surprise your bf with a watch, I would absolutely 100% ask him if he'd wear something like the P51 before buying it. You don't have to tell him you're getting it for him as a present, but you should at least say something like, "Hey, I think this would look really attractive on you, would you wear something like this?" If he gives you the green light, then by all means, get the P51. That's the best watch here (although I'm admittedly biased).

Finally, your concerns about Bremont being a "young British company" are understandable. Especially nowadays with luxury watch purchasing falling into another recession, it's difficult to say who may or may not be there in the coming years. But that's sort of the risk you take with most companies not named Rolex or Patek Philippe. The good news is, the watch is tough, and should last you for many years without needing Bremont's attention. And should it come to pass that Bremont does not persist and you need the watch serviced, the fact that you have a ETA movement means you can basically have the watch serviced anywhere in the world without difficulty. Also, one of the potential upsides of backing a young "upstart" is that we do not yet know where Bremont's ceiling is; as has been observed by a number of writers, Bremont has the capability to go on and do great things and may in time ultimately work themselves into the prestige ranks of watchmaking, whereas Sinn and IWC are what they are. Twenty years from now, that P51 may be an instant classic or just another watch. Part of the fun is in the wait-and-see.

Regards,
    Alysandir

Banned

Very nice I hope you pull the trigger on this one I am sure your bf would absolutely love this watch

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Note we do not discuss pricing on this forum. So let's edit those items out and keep it in PM or someplace else if it must go on.

On the watch side I'm always a fan of the aged look lume on any watch. It just seems to give it more character whether it is ultra modern like the Omega DSOM Vintage Black, classic like a Pam 372 or Longines LLD.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!