Bremont Boeing BB247 Ti-GMT
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Bremont Boeing BB247 Ti-GMT

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bremont Boeing BB247 Ti-GMT

Hi everyone,

I saw the picture below, god knows where, a couple of years ago and saved the collection of images to my phone in it's own folder. The most beautiful watch I'd ever seen. I used to show it watch people when I first met them and vowed to own one one day...

Well last Thursday I got the opportunity to buy one from Auth. Dealer, and it's on order and I should see it next week.

But what's got me perplexed about this watch is it appears as though it's not that popular. There are little real world owners reviews about it, hardly any for sale second hand, it seems to have gone under the radar... Or maybe it's beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I've seen one review on this forums section, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this watch and what they're experience is with it.

Last edited by PravusJSB; February 14th, 2017 at 23:20.

Re: Bremont Boeing BB247 Ti-GMT

I have it on bracelet. And I agree that you will not see too many of these; I've only ever seen one other up for sale on the Bay in my year+ of ownership. Given that Bremont only produces about ~6000 watches a year spread across so many different models (and that includes the military-only models that most of us never get to know about), this truly is among the rarer of the non-LE Bremonts.

How do I find it? Well, the good news is that it's every bit as attractive in the metal as it is in pictures. The sapphire glass is practically invisible and they hour markers are outlined in white gold (you can't really tell that from the above picture) which gives this rather somber watch just a hint of shine. The weight is also outstanding for such a large watch, even on bracelet. And it does keep fairly good time, being a chronometer grade Valjoux movement.

The bad news is:

- this is a tall watch, among the tallest of the Bremont at 18mm, so I hope your wrists are large enough to offset the height. One of the reasons I put it on bracelet is to help hide what I can only characterize as its bucket-like appearance in profile.

- I will also say that it has, by far, the worst lume of any lumed watch I've ever had, to the point where I question what they actually used, because you can charge this up all you want with a UV light and the glow will be practically non-existent 30 minutes later. So much for a cockpit watch!

- I must also say that if you were eager for this watch because of the marketing about Bremont's hardened cases and special materials used in the Boeing line, I'm sorry to have to be the one that tells you this, but that only holds true for the steel models. The titanium is garden variety grade 5 Ti64 and does not have any scratch-resistant coating on it like Duratec. This watch will get scratched, I'm afraid.

- The fit and finishing is also a little disappointing for a watch not only of this price point, but one where the selling point from Bremont is that they put extra care and design into the finishing. For example, in the image you posted, I observe some crusty residue at the 1:30 position on the outer edge of the bezel insert. I have the same kind of residue on mine as well, and the gap between the bezel insert and bezel cradle collects all kinds of interesting gunk.

- Finally, do be aware that you have a Valjoux 7754 movement in there, and every quirk that comes with it, such as unidirectional rotor winding, which leads to not only the infamous rotor-wobble and noise, but also means that you cannot put this on a garden variety winder and expect it to stay wound. I'll also say I've had to send mine in for service after a year because of crown issues. YMMV.

If there's anything specific you'd like to know, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Alysandir

Name:  BREMONT_wrist3.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  200.6 KBName:  BREMONT_wrist2.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  169.3 KBName:  BREMONT_wrist1.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  195.3 KB
    Last edited by Alysandir; February 12th, 2017 at 17:17.
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

Thanks for the write up, I really appreciate it. I read about the Lume and TBH my daily wearer (Tag H. Carrera CV2010) is just as bad, and it's never bothered me. The size also doesn't matter to me, the Tag I have I've always felt it was a bit small, and I tried this watch on yesterday in a local AD and it felt fine.

What bothers me a touch is the possible scratching, I'm very clumsy with my watches and always end up catching them on something.

What do you mean regarding the 'garden variety' winders, coincidentally I just ordered a winder from Amazon for £45 about 10 minutes before you wrote this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PravusJSB View Post
    What do you mean regarding the 'garden variety' winders, coincidentally I just ordered a winder from Amazon for £45 about 10 minutes before you wrote this.
    What I mean is that most non-programmable winders will do something like this: rotate clockwise for X minutes, then pause for Y minutes, the rotate counterclockwise for X minutes, then pause for Y minutes, lather/rinse/repeat. Problem is, that doesn't work for a movement with a unidirectional rotor like the Valjoux 7754, which only winds the watch in one direction, because when the winder is moving in the opposite direction, all the rotor is doing is free-spinning. So what ends up happening is that the winder is extending the amount of time it takes for the watch to become completely unwound, but it's not actually keeping it wound. For that, you'll need a programmable winder that can A) be set to be unidirectional, and B) for which you can set the amount of rotations.

A quick check of the Orbita Watch Database (Orbita - DatabaseBr-Bz) shows that you need 800 rotations clockwise to keep the 7750 wound, so make sure your winder can do that. (Or just wind/wear it at least every other day.)

Regards,
    Alysandir
    Last edited by Alysandir; February 12th, 2017 at 19:40.

Ok thank you, I don't get it, but I'll have to research this more. I've cancelled the order I put in.

If it's unidirectional (as opposed to CW or CCW) which way am I supposed to know which it needs turning?

Also you reference 7750 movement above but in your original post reference 7754?

EDIT: Ok I think I know why... So the 7754 is just a modified 7750. It says unidirectional winding on the specs but the direction is CW, I that that my Calibre 16 Tag H. is also a 7750 as it also needs CW 800tpd. So I'm looking for an 800~tpd CW winder.
    Last edited by PravusJSB; February 12th, 2017 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by PravusJSB View Post
    Ok thank you, I don't get it, but I'll have to research this more. I've cancelled the order I put in.

If it's unidirectional (as opposed to CW or CCW) which way am I supposed to know which it needs turning?

Also you reference 7750 movement above but in your original post reference 7754?

EDIT: Ok I think I know why... So the 7754 is just a modified 7750. It says unidirectional winding on the specs but the direction is CW, I that that my Calibre 16 Tag H. is also a 7750 as it also needs CW 800tpd. So I'm looking for an 800~tpd CW winder.
    You got it on both counts. I should've said 775X, but got lazy.

Regards,
    Alysandir

That's a cool looking chronograph. Congrats on your Bremont!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Super cool watch, excited for you to receive it!

Me too! Sounds like it might be back end of the week, probably Thursday. Of course I'll have to post images ;)

Picked it up today, will take some nicer pics with big camera when I get time at the weekend :)

I also bought a Wolf Viceroy 2.7 to keep it in :D

Last edited by PravusJSB; February 15th, 2017 at 00:14.
    Alysandir and fish70 like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information