Lume Question (Specifically Alt-1 but interested in all)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zuckermania

Thread: Lume Question (Specifically Alt-1 but interested in all)

Lume Question (Specifically Alt-1 but interested in all)

Hi guys,

Following my previous thread regarding my Alt-1 ZT Military special edition, I have received the watch back with the engraving and dial rectified.

I have a question regarding the lume, however.

I note that on Bremont's website it states they apply 12-15 coats of SuperLuminova paint to some models to increase the luminescence. Would I be correct in thinking this would mainly apply to the divers watches such as the Supermarine, with larger hands and indices, rather than those with smaller plots (such as the Alt-1 etc)? The reason I ask is that the lume on my watch seems quite weak, certainly in comparison with other watches I have with SuperLuminova (including an Omega Speedmaster which has very thin hands/indices). I am also aware that the compound used on the Alt-1 series is a slightly different colour, glowing with a slight blue tint rather than green. I have heard that this compound naturally doesnít glow as bright as the green version but is chosen for other aesthetic reasons.

In addition, the lume appears (when glowing) to be slightly patchy particularly on the minute hand. Is this due to the constraints of the size of the surface area, type of application and compound used? I havenít yet had a chance to compare to some of the other watches shipped to my colleagues so I was just wondering if mine was typical of the application?

Wjhat are other's experience of the lume? I was expecting great things, but the application seems a bit patchy (noticeable when the hand is black underneath) and not very bright?

Unfortunately crappy phone pics don't really show what I mean but on the minute hand, the Luminova application seems to be thinner along the middle 2/3 of the length of the hand, with the base and tip being brighter.

Re: Lume Question (Specifically Alt-1 but interested in all)

Bremont's lume is good, not great. It's markedly better than a Mido I own, and nowhere near my orange monster. I like it though. I like that the sword hands are almost all white, which makes the watch more visible in direct sunlight. The blueish lume does not glow as bright but it seems to last longer. It's certainly better than a Rolex OP I used to own. Attached is my own crappy cell phone pic I just took.

With regards to the patchy application... expose your watch to sunlight outside, then go into your bathroom and turn off all the lights. Take that picture with your cell phone... it should make things pretty obvious. I had to return a U2/T because one of the numerals was not completely covered in luminous paint (embarrassing QC on such an expensive watch). On that watch 25% of the number 11 just didn't glow. It's like the guy ran out of paint and decided to call it a day. I've also seen a Bremont S500 where the hands didn't match the lume color of the indices. Also very poor QC.

All that being said I'm happy with the lume on my ALT1-ZT and have never had a problem reading it. Just don't read too much into the 12-15 coats of super-luminova.

Do post a picture of yours. I'd like to see how bad it is.

Name:  20181127_164455.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  1.80 MB

Thanks for your response!

I'll try and get a picture up tomorrow to compare. It certainly doesn't sound as bad as the U2 you returned! The hour hand looks pretty solid, it seems the thickness of the paint on the minute isn't uniform. Hopefully my pic will highlight that to see what you think.

I don't have any experience with this blue lume but my Speedmaster is better, Seiko SKX009 much, much etter and my Rolex Explorer II (16570) is average, with weak hands (it is 12 years old though).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the Bremont Ecurie Ecosse and the lume is excellent. Glows bright all night long.
    so little time, so many watches

Sorry for the late response, but hear (hopefully) is a pic of what I mean...
    Name:  5C446C97-3872-4372-9B64-03DD586FF70C.jpeg
Views: 74
Size:  274.0 KB

Here it is next to my Omega Speedmaster. Iíve drawn a line roughly parallel to the patchy bit.

Iíve spoken to a few colleagues who have the same watch and the response is mixed regarding the lume. All say itís a bit weak but not all have said itís patchy.

I see it, but that wouldn't bother me enough to return it. I'm OCD about a lot of stuff with watches, including lume, however I don't think this is particularly bad. It's not great, but I've definitely seen worse. The QC issues I referenced before... there was literally no lume on one of the numerals. The way I see it, luminous paint is hand applied. If you want perfection you can either get a tritium watch or a watch with no lume (like the ALT1-C/PW). And now that I think about it, tritium watches aren't guaranteed to have tubes that started their half life at the same time.

It's your watch though, and if it bothers you absolutely demand that Bremont makes it right.
    Independent George likes this.

Thanks for the response. I mentioned it to Bremont and sent that pic to them. The head watchmaker and QC dept are looking into it and should get back to me soon.

If it turns out that this is just how the hands are then fair enough. If they decide it constitutes a defect of some kind then I’m sure they’ll make it right.

Well, Bremont have reviewed the above picture and concur that the patchiness in the minute hand is not correct. They have offered to replace the minute hand, which is really good of them.

As we’re coming up to Xmas it’s a really busy time for them, so I think I’ll wait til the new year to send it back.

Glad to hear it's getting fixed. Ultimately you are the one living with the watch!

My MBII is decent, my SMP was better though.

Thread Information