Nick English visiting my local AD
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Alysandir
  • 1 Post By Alysandir

Thread: Nick English visiting my local AD

Nick English visiting my local AD

I've recently received an invite to attend an event at my local Bremont AD where Nick English, one of the co-founders of Bremont, will be in attendance.

As I did for the Ball forum, I'm inviting submissions of any questions you'd like me to ask Mr. English. If I can ask them, I will.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

Re: Nick English visiting my local AD

My notes from meeting Mr. Nick English, one of the co-founders of Bremont at the meet-and-greet hosted by Little Treasury Jewelers in Gambrills, Maryland. (NOTE: anything written below is my personal interpretation of Mr. English's sentiments and should not be treated as a direct quote unless specifically noted.)

In no particular order:

- Learned that the Terra Nova contains special oils that were designed to not congeal under extreme cold temperatures

- Also learned that one of the drawbacks to the hardened Bremont steel is that the cases cannot be repolished. If it's a bezel, they can replace it, but the case itself they can't really do anything for.

- Bremont sees itself more as tinkerers than businessmen; watchmaking is a form of artistry and cathartic release for them. They have no desire to compete against the big names, but would rather be thought of as a "watchmaker's watchmaker," while acknowledging they have a long way to go before reaching that goal. Mostly, they would like to leave a legacy of helping to re-establish British watchmaking. He spoke with great admiration of the history of British watchmaking that regrettably shifted to Switzerland due to the cheaper labor (we're talking around the turn of the 20th century). They would be proud to help re-establish the British tradition.

- Their overarching design philosophy is to never sell a "fashionable" watch; they want their watches to have a timeless, British aesthetic to them. They vow to never sell a watch that isn't a chronometer.

- They hope to expand production to 8-10K watches in 2017, but concede that a large chunk of that will be watches intended for military units. They haven't been impacted by the downturn in the Chinese economy that's affected others in the luxury watch industry, as their focus is on selling in the UK and the US.

- On the subject of in-house movements, they are still working towards creating one, and hope to have something to show by Baselworld 2018. While most details could not be disclosed, Mr. English did make a point of saying that the movement(s) they are developing will be durable, simple, and well-finished, not unlike Rolex' design philosophy in its movements. Bremont is not against the idea of a high complication watch, but there would have to be a good reason for it. Mr. English was highly complimentary of Rolex, going so far as to say, "there is Rolex, and then there is everyone else."

- Further on the subject of in-house movements, Mr. English did make a point of saying that it is discouraging that in-house vs sourced has become such a point of friction for watch enthusiasts, and wonders if it would have become such a tempest if more enthusiasts knew exactly where parts for many in-house movements were actually being made.

- Mr. English also expressed disappointment that many enthusiasts choose to become adversarial, if not mean, over branding. As far as he's concerned, we all love watches, and we're a dwindling community; nothing good comes out of making fellow enthusiasts feel terrible about what's on their wrist, or summarily dismissing a brand as worthless, especially without even having handled one. He recounted a story of an unnamed independent watchmaker who had great passion for watches, driven to tears over what Mr. English called unfair, scathing criticism and asked what was the purpose of such criticism. If you don't favor a brand, vote with your wallet; there's no need to be mean about it.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    Last edited by Alysandir; December 1st, 2016 at 21:01.

Thanks for the summary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I got a chance to meet Nick at Timeless Luxury. He was sharp and his wife was charming.

Sure, he made some mistakes regarding his loose interpretation of "in house movement", but the term "in house" has been loosely defined by others as well. Don't even some of the the most elite brands obtain complications in the form of modules from an outside source, then identify the entire movement as "in house"?

The past aside, Bremont watches are quality products ad his watches look great. I liked the fact that the diver was not overwhelming in size. Mass producing an in house automatic, chronometer grade movement is going to be tough. Nomos went manuel wind first, then followed with automatics. I think the Rolex influence shows in his watches- form equals function. No complications of limited usefulness etc.
    Last edited by Watch Wearer; December 1st, 2016 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Wearer View Post
    Sure, he made some mistakes regarding his loose interpretation of "in house movement", but the term "in house" has been loosely defined by others as well. Don't even some of the the most elite brands obtain complications in the form of modules from an outside source, then identify the entire movement as "in house"?
    The impression that I got was that he feels the "rules" which constitute what is in-house versus not are a bit unevenly applied. He admits that Bremont made a mistake in calling the Wright Flyer movement "in-house" - even though he maintains that it was co-designed by Bremont specifically for use in only Bremont watches - but then also suggested that more than one brand that claims to be in-house has parts that are made in China. That is, their movement may indeed by proprietary, but the actual parts are still outsourced. So why does that get a pass?

But for the most part, the impression I got from him is he feels the whole debate is a bit silly, and I tend to agree. No one calls Breguet, AP, or VC substandard because they use outsourced F Piguet movements. But what do I know?

Regards,
    Alysandir
    Watch Wearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysandir View Post
    The impression that I got was that he feels the "rules" which constitute what is in-house versus not are a bit unevenly applied. He admits that Bremont made a mistake in calling the Wright Flyer movement "in-house" - even though he maintains that it was co-designed by Bremont specifically for use in only Bremont watches - but then also suggested that more than one brand that claims to be in-house has parts that are made in China. That is, their movement may indeed by proprietary, but the actual parts are still outsourced. So why does that get a pass?
    My feelings as well.

I think those pointing out that the term "in house can be broad, that some companies use the term loosely and that the Wright Flyer movement is "in house" under the broad definition have valid points.

At the same time, those seeking to destroy Bremont's reputation while ignoring other companies using the same broad definition of "in house", or who are largely assembling movements from out sourced parts, or who are deliberately not clear which of their models have "in house" and which have ETA movements are being very unfair and mean spirited. Bremont seems to have been the target of such people who try to find fault with everything the company does, and then post it everywhere.
    Last edited by Watch Wearer; December 2nd, 2016 at 16:36.

Thread Information