Quality comparisons
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Will_f

Thread: Quality comparisons

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    10

    Quality comparisons

    Bremont seems like a really cool company, tons of stories of them hooking guys up and really going above and beyond for customer service.

    My question is, from a purely quality standpoint, what would you compare them to? The only high end watches I have are a speedy pro and an IWC Petit Prince, so thatís my frame of reference. Not to say that they suck or donít suck, just comparatively, what would you say? For example, I think Hamilton offers a lot of watch for the price, but they arenít IWC when you hold them side by side, not are they tying to be.

    Obviously, I expect to get some bias here, but realistically, what can I expect from a Bremont Buy? There isnít an AD within 500 miles of me and no one I know owns one, so if I bought one it would be sight unseen (and probably used).

  2. #2
    Member Vig2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,389

    Re: Quality comparisons

    In general, they are well-built watches. All of their movements are COSC certified. The sticker price on their watches is ambitious to put it kindly, but what else is new in the watch world? Lately, however, more owners than usual seem to be reporting quality control issues with their watches, so be careful with that. The good news is that their customer service goes above and beyond, especially compared to many other brands. A brand like Bremont should be purchased pre-owned IMO; let someone else take the depreciation hit, especially because their value on the secondary market has plummeted in recent years.

  3. #3
    Member yankeexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    31,403

    Re: Quality comparisons

    The customers have to pay for Larry's losing Cup effort.




  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    118

    Re: Quality comparisons

    Bremont make excellent quality watch, I owned 2, one blue u2 and one grey dail Alt-c. The sad thing is they are oversized, 44mm is really too big for me, 38 is perfect. But it still cant stop me buying them. they are lovely!!!

  6. #5
    Member Will_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,816

    Quality comparisons

    I donít own one, but I did check out their store in London. The watches were very nicely made. I really wanted a Martin Baker II but the price tag was more than I was willing to pay.

    The store itself was in a very exclusive part of London. I donít think I quite fit the environment because I didnít find the salesmen very helpful. Of course I didnít buy the watch so perhaps thatís why.
    Last edited by Will_f; October 23rd, 2017 at 07:51.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.


  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    46

    Re: Quality comparisons

    I have a Bremont MBII as well as a couple of Breitlings (Superocean II, SuperAvenger), an IWC Aquatimer (3767-06) and an Omega dress watch - and I think the build quality is comfortably on a par with Breitling and IWC: it feels very robust and well put together, so I imagine (given the comments about resale values) that a used one would be good value.

  8. #7
    Member 1165dvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Quality comparisons

    Quote Originally Posted by Will_f View Post
    I donít own one, but I did check out their store in London. The watches were very nicely made. I really wanted a Martin Baker II but the price tag was more than I was willing to pay.

    The store itself was in a very exclusive part of London. I donít think I quite fit the environment because I didnít find the salesmen very helpful. Of course I didnít buy the watch so perhaps thatís why.
    Seriously thinking about an MBII myself. Recently had a chance to try one on and was quickly smitten. AD, without haggling, offered it to me at $4150.00, which I feel was a good starting point for negotiations. My question is, at what price does this match begin to make sense to you? If an AD was to offer it at around $3500.00, does that make more sense, price wise for what you are getting in this model? Still too high? Bargain??? What do you yhink?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Dave


  9. #8
    Member Vig2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,389

    Re: Quality comparisons

    Quote Originally Posted by 1165dvd View Post
    Seriously thinking about an MBII myself. Recently had a chance to try one on and was quickly smitten. AD, without haggling, offered it to me at $4150.00, which I feel was a good starting point for negotiations. My question is, at what price does this match begin to make sense to you? If an AD was to offer it at around $3500.00, does that make more sense, price wise for what you are getting in this model? Still too high? Bargain??? What do you yhink?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I still stand behind my original post above: A Bremont should never be purchased brand new from an AD, which is experience I gained after having purchased several of them brand new over the years from an AD and then taking quite a few baths when it came time to sell (I now don't any Bremonts). As mentioned, secondary prices have taken a beating in recent years, and it's not unusual to see a pre-owned MBII go for the upper $1k/lower $2k range on the secondary market. However and having said that, if you insist on going the AD route, there's no way I'd pay around $4k. $3500 is obviously more reasonable, but nowhere near a bargain IMO. I would see if I can get closer to the $3k mark. Might be possible if there's an AD who's having trouble moving Bremont stock.

  10. #9
    Member 1165dvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Quality comparisons

    Quote Originally Posted by Vig2000 View Post
    I still stand behind my original post above: A Bremont should never be purchased brand new from an AD, which is experience I gained after having purchased several of them brand new over the years from an AD and then taking quite a few baths when it came time to sell (I now don't any Bremonts). As mentioned, secondary prices have taken a beating in recent years, and it's not unusual to see a pre-owned MBII go for the upper $1k/lower $2k range on the secondary market. However and having said that, if you insist on going the AD route, there's no way I'd pay around $4k. $3500 is obviously more reasonable, but nowhere near a bargain IMO. I would see if I can get closer to the $3k mark. Might be possible if there's an AD who's having trouble moving Bremont stock.
    I agree with what you said about the second hand market. Not sure if it's an indicator of the watch being overpriced, or a lack of awareness of the brand that drives down prices. Having studied the 2nd hand market for the past 6 mo, I've seen very few below $2000.00. I might recall one, and only bc it was quite beat up. Those in the low 2000.00's seem to be there more because of age, dating back to the earlier years of production. Newer models( those made after,say 2016) seem to be up for just around 3000.00, give or take a grand. Whether those numbers are reasonable or not, I'm not sure. What I'm almost sure of-- few of the people selling those watches paid full price anyway, taking some of the sting out of the depreciation.


    I know my omega seamaster pro sold for just about half of msrp last year when I dumped it. Luckily I bought it new, but from alexthegreat, who sells at less than gray market prices but with a full omega warranty. My point is to ask if Bremont is being somewhat unfairly targeted, when all watches seem to lose value at a similar rate. Same can be said for Oris, Nomos, and many others. But if we are being truthful, losing 50% off of a $5000 watch stings a lot more than losing the same % off of a $2000.00 or $3000.00 watch. Thanks for your thoughts.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Dave


  11. #10
    Member Will_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,816

    Quality comparisons

    Quote Originally Posted by 1165dvd View Post
    Seriously thinking about an MBII myself. Recently had a chance to try one on and was quickly smitten. AD, without haggling, offered it to me at $4150.00, which I feel was a good starting point for negotiations. My question is, at what price does this match begin to make sense to you? If an AD was to offer it at around $3500.00, does that make more sense, price wise for what you are getting in this model? Still too high? Bargain??? What do you yhink?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    From my perspective, you have to look at what else is out there now for a similar price. You can buy a number of extremely nice watches for around $3500 that include in house movements which will definitely outperform the movement in the MBII (Tudor for example). Iíd say $3500 would be near the top of what is reasonable.

    That said, what does reasonable have to do with luxury watch buying. If you like it more than the Tudors, buy it. Watches arenít investments.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1165dvd likes this.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Vintage Sub 300T Bezel comparisons
      By Arthur in forum DOXA Owners Club
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: August 20th, 2010, 21:07
    2. Quality, Price, Image ... comparisons
      By ScandiMan in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: December 22nd, 2009, 22:13
    3. Comparisons
      By davey vermaak in forum Breitling
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: June 8th, 2006, 21:03
    4. Display comparisons
      By ronalddheld in forum High Accuracy Quartz watches
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: May 15th, 2006, 11:49
    5. Comparisons
      By Simon in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: March 18th, 2006, 15:22

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts