Questions on Bremont Case Hardening
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Questions on Bremont Case Hardening

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions on Bremont Case Hardening

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a watch with case hardening. I already have a Damasko DA46, and considering next getting a Bremont. However, I'm getting some conflicting information about Bremont case hardening. In any case, I'm wondering if anyone can elucidate me on the following:

1. Is Bremonnt's case hardening the entire watch or only the bezel? I am getting conflicting information on this from the literature. Moreover, does the case hardening extend to Bremont's entire line or only to some watches (i.e. like Sinn not tegimenting their entire line).

2. Are Bremont bracelets similarly hardened as their cases? I note that Damasko's hardening also extends to their bracelets, and would like to clarify if this is similar with Bremont.

Hoping to get some clarity on these.

Thanks!
    CTR57-1171 Minute Repeater * SBGT009 Tungsten Carbide * DC66 Chronograph w/ Bracelet
    GMT Master IIc 116710LN * G-Shock Rangeman GPR-B1000 *Speedmaster Pro 3572 "Sapphire-Hesalite Sandwich"

Re: Questions on Bremont Case Hardening

1. Bremont case-hardens the entire watch. But it needs to be understood that this is a double-edged sword: while the watch is very hard and more impervious to scratches than typical stainless steel, any scratches you do acquire *cannot* be polished out. This is from Nick English himself. If you scratch up your bezel, they can replace it, but the watch case itself cannot be refinished.

Also, bear in mind that their titanium models are not case-hardened.

2. I do not know the answer to this. Bremont sells their bracelets apart from their watches; that is, I do not know of a Bremont model that actually comes with a bracelet as standard. As such, they don't make very many of them, and as far as bracelets go, they are pretty inexpensive, less than 800 USD. So I would be inclined to say that they don't, but I have no proof of this.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Few things to add. you have to be model specific since as an example the MBII has Anodized Aluminum barrel over the hardened case. Some models have stainless steel barrels so the AL wound not be hardened and the SS would be. Bremonts hardening is done at the same place that hardens RR aircraft engine turbine blades.
    awildermode likes this.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    Few things to add. you have to be model specific since as an example the MBII has Anodized Aluminum barrel over the hardened case. Some models have stainless steel barrels so the AL wound not be hardened and the SS would be. Bremonts hardening is done at the same place that hardens RR aircraft engine turbine blades.
    Also don't the steel Boeing watches use a different steel and hardening process than the rest of the line?

I agree with all here on question #1. On question #2, the bracelet on my S500 is not hardened.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling Moss View Post
    Also don't the steel Boeing watches use a different steel and hardening process than the rest of the line?
    Anybody able to verify the Boeing vs. regular Bremont steel usage in the cases?

I know their process takes the 316L stainless steel up to 2000 vickers of hardness(standard 316L is 200-240 vickers) and it is a steel hardening process used by Rolls Royce for their aircraft engines. I believe they use a different steel and titanium alloy on the Boeing line that is proprietary to Boeing. I don't know if they use a different hardening process.

Only a very thin layer of the outer ''skin'' of the case is hardened not the whole case, the description on their website confirms this, so it will be highly scratch resistant to a point, but not much more impact damage resistant than any other watch.
    They may also want to check the terminology used on their website as there is no hardening process where the metal surface is ''DEFUSED with carbon'' but there is where the metal surface is DIFFUSED with carbon.
    Last edited by john.6; January 30th, 2017 at 08:30.

I cannot regarding the steel, but I can say that I've asked Nick English if there was anything special about the titanium used in the Boeing line, particularly with all the marketing about learning aviation metallurgy blah blah, and he indicated that the Boeing Ti watches were garden variety Grade 5 titanium. So in the absence of any additional information regarding the steel used, I'd wager it's pretty much standard steel and nothing specific to aviation.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

Quote Originally Posted by john.6 View Post
    Only a very thin layer of the outer ''skin'' of the case is hardened not the whole case, the description on their website confirms this, so it will be highly scratch resistant to a point, but not much more impact damage resistant than any other watch.
    They may also want to check the terminology used on their website as there is no hardening process where the metal surface is ''DEFUSED with carbon'' but there is where the metal surface is DIFFUSED with carbon.
    TigerDore and Andy Deason like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information