Why so much hate on Bremont watches
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Why so much hate on Bremont watches

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Why so much hate on Bremont watches

Just curious....I own and have owned many different brands of watches including Rolex, Omega, Zenith Seiko etc....but I’ve been in some of the “other” forums and they seem to hate on Bremont watches....why is that ? They are great pieces in my mind and look great....excellent quality and finish, IMHO and great selection of minimalist pieces which I crave ....

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Why so much hate on Bremont watches

No more than any other brand. Wait until you've been around a while. There's hate for every model of every brand. Just ignore it and go with the good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Day View Post
    No more than any other brand. Wait until you've been around a while. There's hate for every model of every brand. Just ignore it and go with the good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I guess you’re right....I’m on other forums too and see the same thing... but I guess my question is how is the quality of Bremont movements, finish etc compared to Rolex or Omega ? I know everything is subjective but was curious as this is my first Bremont purchase....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I saw quite a bit of hate before I picked up my Bremont but I still went ahead with it and... screw the doubters! They make beautiful watches with a great quality. They had a bit of a bad PR issue with an incorrect statement which they rectified almost immediately. Bremonts tend to use ETA movements which have been customised and improvement, so they take something tried and tested and make it much much better, which I find nothing wrong with. They will start venturing out into in house movements soon. At the movement you can’t really compare Rolex and Omega with Bremont because they’re completely different brands, with many years of history and achievements whereas Bremont is just starting. You should get a Bremont because you want a Bremont imo. They are making a good start, they’ve got some impressive ambassadors and feats already under their name.
    troyr1 likes this.

I can not really say i agree there is any 'hate' on Bremont. People comment on them and compare them to older more established brands using superior ( a whole other discussion!) movements. Do they criticise out of ignorance? I do not know. Bremont though have definately brought a new flavour to the watch world with their designs, something that a whole host of other newcomers have failed to do. So maybe others are jealous of their success.
    TJH60 likes this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I can not really say i agree there is any 'hate' on Bremont. People comment on them and compare them to older more established brands using superior ( a whole other discussion!) movements. Do they criticise out of ignorance? I do not know. Bremont though have definately brought a new flavour to the watch world with their designs, something that a whole host of other newcomers have failed to do. So maybe others are jealous of their success.
    Certainly one of the better UK watch brands....I just really like the aesthetics of the brand and their aesthetics....I’ve owned many brands but looking for something different but minimal....Too many pieces out there have too much going on on the dial and I just like simple pieces....Bremont fits the bill for me....Don’t get me wrong I own both a relax and then I’m a go watch and they are all good watches in their own right but every now and then you want to venture off and try something a little bit more “off the cuff....Blancpain is another watch company I’ve been “eye-ballin’” and yes, even Breitling.....They finally have some pieces that don’t have a Lotta crap going on on the dials that look somewhat wearable.....good stuff!

Carl.1 likes this.

A lot of people tend to rag on Bremont for a few different reasons IMO: First up is their origin story, which I won't go into since it can easily be found with a quick Google search. Many question their story's authenticity, but regardless of how true it is or isn't, I've heard others comment on how cheesy it is. Secondly, they made a big blunder a few years back when they falsely claimed that they developed their own in-house movement. Turns out they didn't and they were called out on it, and I remember how huge of a controversy it was at the time and how a ton of people went up in arms. As a result of all the backlash, they issued a sort of half-apology video. Finally, many feel that the retail prices of their watches are too inflated and exorbitant. I personally would never buy a Bremont brand new since this is definitely a brand to buy pre-owned if you're ever so inclined to purchase one.

I personally think they make half-decent watch, even though their prices are unjustified IMO. I previously owned several Bremonts at one point and now I own none and don't plan on purchasing any in the future. I fell into being a Bremont fanboy and then I gradually began to view them as a fad, so their watches no longer became appealing to me. Not to mention that I think their marketing is off-putting.

Just my opinion and don't let that dissuade you. The usual cliche is offered here: Buy what you like. However, at the same time, it never hurts to be a smart and conscientious watch collector and consumer for that matter. Again, never buy a Bremont brand new (think resale here, it won't be pretty trying to sell after buying brand new).
    Last edited by Vig2000; January 9th, 2019 at 17:00.

lvt

Personally I like some of their watches, but the prices are out of my ranges.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has actually owned an MBII, I'll say I like their watches very much. They are just cool. They are very well built. They have outstanding customer service (they often replace case parts when you send your watch in for service). I guess you have to ask yourself what original design language is worth to you. No brand has a case shaped and assembled like Bremont's. It's what attracted me in the first place.

Beyond design, there are also some solid features, like the faraday cage in some of their watches. This protects the watch from magnetic fields. It's a relatively common feature, though, one that can be found in watches like Sinn and Damasko at a fraction of the price. They also developed and patented a shock absorption system that is in a few of their watches. That is a technology that takes time to create, and it comes at a R&D cost that has to be passed on to the consumer. The roto-click internal bezel in some of their watches is very well engineered. They have a contract with Boeing to use the company's patented steel in their Boeing line of watches. Finally, Bremont hardens most of their cases (probably not the precious metal variety). But hardening is available on many other brands as well, so while it's a nice feature, it's not solely theirs to own. I also believe that Bremont uses surface hardening, similar to Sinn, whereas Damasko hardens the entire case. Bremont's are susceptible to dings if you strike them hard enough.

Vig2000 did a great job of outlining why there are haters. I really don't have much to add there. I will say this though. The use of ETA movements does not justify the price they are asking at retail for their most of their line. However, Ulysse Nardin, IWC, and a couple other big boys use the same movements (or Sellita ) and upgrade them to varying degrees. Bremont has positioned itself as a lifestyle brand. They don't pay for brand ambassadors, but they do spend a lot of money on affiliating their brand with charities, the military, and big events, and in other traditional ways. Nothing bad there. Rolex spends a ridiculous amount to advertise. It just adds cost to the watch. Lesser known brands to people outside of the WUS world do way less advertising, and most likely pass that savings on to the consumer. They also create gimmicky theme watches that are priced outlandishly, but no-one else is putting a piece of fabric from the Wright Brother's plane into the rotor of their watch.

My advice to anyone: buy used. Be patient. Set an alert on watchrecon for the model you'd like to buy and wait it out. It will eventually come up. If you buy new, you better be buying to keep, because you are going to get killed on resale. If you have to buy new, get 30-35% off from your AD or walk away. I know they can swing the steep reduction because many were offering said discount over the holiday sales season. I bought my year old MBII for about $2000 in August. To put that in perspective, that's $3000 off retail for a barely broken-in watch. When I sold it, I was lucky to only loose about $100. Their watches lose 50% of value very quickly. Currently, I'm holding out for a white dial MBII. If one comes up, I'm going to buy with hopes to make it part of my permanent collection. So you can tell that I'm not a hater.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 1165dvd View Post
    Speaking from the perspective of someone who has actually owned an MBII, I'll say I like their watches very much. They are just cool. They are very well built. They have outstanding customer service (they often replace case parts when you send your watch in for service). I guess you have to ask yourself what original design language is worth to you. No brand has a case shaped and assembled like Bremont's. It's what attracted me in the first place.

Beyond design, there are also some solid features, like the faraday cage in some of their watches. This protects the watch from magnetic fields. It's a relatively common feature, though, one that can be found in watches like Sinn and Damasko at a fraction of the price. They also developed and patented a shock absorption system that is in a few of their watches. That is a technology that takes time to create, and it comes at a R&D cost that has to be passed on to the consumer. The roto-click internal bezel in some of their watches is very well engineered. They have a contract with Boeing to use the company's patented steel in their Boeing line of watches. Finally, Bremont hardens most of their cases (probably not the precious metal variety). But hardening is available on many other brands as well, so while it's a nice feature, it's not solely theirs to own. I also believe that Bremont uses surface hardening, similar to Sinn, whereas Damasko hardens the entire case. Bremont's are susceptible to dings if you strike them hard enough.

Vig2000 did a great job of outlining why there are haters. I really don't have much to add there. I will say this though. The use of ETA movements does not justify the price they are asking at retail for their most of their line. However, Ulysse Nardin, IWC, and a couple other big boys use the same movements (or Sellita ) and upgrade them to varying degrees. Bremont has positioned itself as a lifestyle brand. They don't pay for brand ambassadors, but they do spend a lot of money on affiliating their brand with charities, the military, and big events, and in other traditional ways. Nothing bad there. Rolex spends a ridiculous amount to advertise. It just adds cost to the watch. Lesser known brands to people outside of the WUS world do way less advertising, and most likely pass that savings on to the consumer. They also create gimmicky theme watches that are priced outlandishly, but no-one else is putting a piece of fabric from the Wright Brother's plane into the rotor of their watch.

My advice to anyone: buy used. Be patient. Set an alert on watchrecon for the model you'd like to buy and wait it out. It will eventually come up. If you buy new, you better be buying to keep, because you are going to get killed on resale. If you have to buy new, get 30-35% off from your AD or walk away. I know they can swing the steep reduction because many were offering said discount over the holiday sales season. I bought my year old MBII for about $2000 in August. To put that in perspective, that's $3000 off retail for a barely broken-in watch. When I sold it, I was lucky to only loose about $100. Their watches lose 50% of value very quickly. Currently, I'm holding out for a white dial MBII. If one comes up, I'm going to buy with hopes to make it part of my permanent collection. So you can tell that I'm not a hater.
    What he said. Haha. Also I’m looking forward to your white dial MBII.

I love my S500.
    1165dvd likes this.
    Alpina 130 Heritage Pilot Chronograph
    Archimede Pilot 39
    Ball Fireman NECC Black TiC
    Bremont Supermarine S500/BL
    IWC Aquatimer 3548
    Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow 3594.50
    Omega 2538.20 "Great White"
    [Insert Carbon Fiber Dial Dive Watch here]

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information