Will an in-house movement make Bremont more appealing to you?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Will an in-house movement make Bremont more appealing to you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Read this article today about Bremont's business outlook.

https://usa.watchpro.com/bremont-sal...-to-june-2018/

It suggests a manufacture movement is very close, and some other interesting fiscal issues.

I'll admit that I really like a lot of what Bremont does tech and design-wise. But for the price, I'd really like to be able to say that mine has an in-house movement. Like Tudor and IWC over the past few years, some level of anti-magnetism (use of silicon instead of a Faraday cage) as well as a power reserve over 70 hours should be part of the design. With that threshold met, I can see me picking up my second MBII, or maybe even the new Ministry of Defense 3 hander. I doubt an in-house chrono is part of the plan any time soon, but the Arrow is another model that I find attractive.

I just hope that with a manufacture movement, they don't fool themselves into thinking that a price increase is justified.
    Dave

Re: Will an in-house movement make Bremont more appealing to you?

It honestly doesn't bother me that much. Let's be honest, anyone who pays list price for a Bremont is a bit daft. I have always achieved 25-30% discount on new purchases and with that level of discount I believe Bremont represents good value given all the tech you get with their cases and design.

Is an in-house movement nice to have? Yes of course but does it really matter that much if the purchase price is reasonable? Bremont list prices are unreasonable at list but with some negotiating they are a decent proposition.
    Rolex 116660 D-Blue, Tudor Black Bay Bronze/Blue, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 45th Anniversary, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 17 40th Anniversary, Omega Speedy Tuesday, Omega ​Ultraman, Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre, Omega x33 Skywalker Solar Impulse, Omega ​Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono Deep Black, Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre Heuer 01 Matt Black, Hamilton ​Khaki X-Wind Chrono, Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Double Retrograde, Timex ​Marlin Peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by 1165dvd View Post
    Read this article today about Bremont's business outlook.

https://usa.watchpro.com/bremont-sal...-to-june-2018/

It suggests a manufacture movement is very close, and some other interesting fiscal issues.

I'll admit that I really like a lot of what Bremont does tech and design-wise. But for the price, I'd really like to be able to say that mine has an in-house movement. Like Tudor and IWC over the past few years, some level of anti-magnetism (use of silicon instead of a Faraday cage) as well as a power reserve over 70 hours should be part of the design. With that threshold met, I can see me picking up my second MBII, or maybe even the new Ministry of Defense 3 hander. I doubt an in-house chrono is part of the plan any time soon, but the Arrow is another model that I find attractive.

I just hope that with a manufacture movement, they don't fool themselves into thinking that a price increase is justified.
    Regarding their financials, it seems that, among other investments, the in-house movement that they're working on is contributing to their profit loss. Bremont is still a very young company that’s still growing, and I actually think they're doing themselves a favor by investing in a new facility and infrastructure despite growing pains such as the hits they’re taking to their bottom line. For an expanding brand like theirs, I believe that investments such as these are necessary in order to remain innovative and competitive.

Circling back to the in-house movement, the rumor is that it's been in development for years, which is not uncommon for a true in-house movement that's being built from the ground up. I'm sure they've have learned since their in-house movement debacle from a few years back, so they're hopefully going to be more methodical on how they go about their in-house movement, which explains how tight-lipped they've been about its development.

And yes, I definitely do believe they will fool themselves into price increases galore with a manufacture movement. Giles said it himself in the article:

“The investment in manufacturing will not pay off until we reach about 15% higher in revenue as the scale of investment especially in our machinery and new movement starts to pay off..."

They've been operating at loss due to the money they've invested in manufacturing, infrastructure, and of course, the development of their in-house movement. They have to recoup their losses somehow, and it's definitely not going to be by way of a price decrease.
    Last edited by Vig2000; April 16th, 2019 at 22:58.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In house doesn’t matter to me, but I think it does matter to many. I think it helps to demonstrate horological legitimacy and its consistent with their overall strategic aims. Good for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my takeaway from the comments so far is that Bremont needs to create an in-house movement that's antimagnetic and has a much higher PR, but at the same time, they need to slash their prices significantly. THEN people will buy their watches.

So, basically, they have to rival the in-house technology of established powerhouses like Omega and Rolex, yet have a price point well beneath Omega & Rolex, all while being a tiny, fledgling watchmaker/assembler trying to establish itself as a true manufacture.

Well, okay then. Why don't we also demand a free pony with every purchase as well? I'll name mine, "Chestnut."

Look, if you're buying Bremont, you're doing so either because you like their aesthetic and/or you like what they represent and you want to support them. But let's not kid ourselves about who they are at this stage of their company arc. Right now, NOBODY is giving you everything you want at the price you want to pay, so to put that onus on Bremont is more than a bit unreasonable.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    Independent George and HTown like this.
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

heb

The 5 figures they will charge you for it won't make sense. Cheaper to go Patek Philippe.

heb

I really like their watches, but for the price it would be nice to have in house. If they do that, I would really consider getting one.
    1165dvd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysandir View Post
    So my takeaway from the comments so far is that Bremont needs to create an in-house movement that's antimagnetic and has a much higher PR, but at the same time, they need to slash their prices significantly. THEN people will buy their watches.

So, basically, they have to rival the in-house technology of established powerhouses like Omega and Rolex, yet have a price point well beneath Omega & Rolex, all while being a tiny, fledgling watchmaker/assembler trying to establish itself as a true manufacture.

Well, okay then. Why don't we also demand a free pony with every purchase as well? I'll name mine, "Chestnut."

Look, if you're buying Bremont, you're doing so either because you like their aesthetic and/or you like what they represent and you want to support them. But let's not kid ourselves about who they are at this stage of their company arc. Right now, NOBODY is giving you everything you want at the price you want to pay, so to put that onus on Bremont is more than a bit unreasonable.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    Funny, I thought the comments were all very rational in this discussion. Did you read them? No one that I can see asking for anything outrageous. It's a simple fact that Bremont are overpriced. They do nothing that Damasko, Oris, Nomos,... aren't already doing, but at a significantly higher price. A significant forum sponsor AD had a holiday sale a few months back and was offering 35% off any non-LE Bremont watch.

The suggestions I made for a manufacture movement are currently being offered by Tudor in much of their tool watch lineup. I don't believe a Tudor 3-hander with in-house movement retails for over $4000.00. So it's doable.

Make no mistake. I'm not Bremont hater. I've owned their watches and really appreciate some of the tech they work into them. What I said was I don't think they should raise prices when the in-house movement comes to market. And let's not make the mistake of comparing a Bremont with a Rolex. Apples and Oranges. As for nobody giving me what I want, Omega did a pretty good job of it with the new Seamaster. And the BB58 is getting full retail+ on the secondary market.
    Vig2000 likes this.
    Dave

Of course it would. Regardless of what people say in-house is a greater representation of a brands abilities than purchasing movements from some 3rd party.

And if Bremont could do it without raising prices it would be pretty special because a premium for custom engineering should go with out saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, their prices would go even higher! And at higher price points even I would opt for a different brand, if they maintain prices but switch to in-house then sure

Sent from my mind using telepathy
    oʞᴉǝS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information