Bremont ALT1-C Review - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bremont ALT1-C Review

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Member calibre 11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: Bremont ALT1-C Review

    Hi all, and thanks to Rob for the invite to crash your forum. I really only post at the TAG Heuer forum, so before reading what I say below, please understand that Bremont are far from being my area of expertise!

    The Valjoux 7750 is an integrated Chronograph launched in 1974. Its used by many, many watch brands, including TAG Heuer (TAG call it a Calibre 16) and IWC....am sure you guys already know this.

    In this case, the Soprod module is effectively a plate that sits on top of the base 7750 with the main (sole?) purpose being to modify the dial lay-out- the traditional 7750 layout has three registers at 12, 6 and 9 o'clock. To get the 3 and 9 o'clock layout you need a module on top of the base 7750 movement...but I wouldn't say this makes it a "modular" chronograph (that term typically being for a watch base engine with a Chronograph module piggy-backed).

    Here is an example of the various 7750- variations that Soprod produce: Chrono sur base 7750

    I also wouldn't say this was a Soprod movement...its a Valjoux/ ETA 7750 movement modified by Soprod.

    you can see that the first one is very similar to the Bremont movement, except for the position of the date....which I agree is best at 6 o'clock.

    And yes, Rob, I imagine that all those extra 3 jewels are doing is altering the layout on the dial.

    Cheers

    David
    Last edited by calibre 11; August 21st, 2011 at 10:58.
    Calibre 11 | The Home of TAG Heuer and Heuer Collectors

    Website:
    http://www.calibre11.com

    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/calibre11







  2. #12
    Member HarryBentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Surrey, UK.
    Posts
    468
    Thank you David. That was a very clear explanation and I now understand a little more of what actually goes on inside all these shiny boxes I keep collecting.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    492

    Re: Bremont ALT1-C Review

    Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    While I'm not above being wrong. I actually confirmed my statement on the movement. What is in my review is correct per the Bremont site for this model, and the Watch Time article from December 2010 (All links below). Both state the same with the Watch Time having more details.


    BREMONT

    BREMONT

    http://www.watchtime.at/archive/wt_2...010_06_114.pdf


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bremont's own site states that the.Valjoux 7750-SO BI AC movement is used. Soprod sell this movement at this link. Technically it is a Valioux 7750 with a Soprod module, but also a Soprod movement so we're both correct. This was even verbally confirmed by Peter Roberts recently. One key item though is that all the movements use the Nivaflex-1 mainspring, which appears to used in manufacture movements by GO, UN, GP, IWC and Maurice Lacroix normally. .So not only is this not an standard movement, all movements in the range have an updated mainspring which is better quality than the Nivaflex-NM ones used in normal top/chronometer grade movements..

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    11,519

    Re: Bremont ALT1-C Review

    Quote Originally Posted by bydandie View Post
    Bremont's own site states that the.Valjoux 7750-SO BI AC movement is used. Soprod sell this movement at this link. Technically it is a Valioux 7750 with a Soprod module, but also a Soprod movement so we're both correct. This was even verbally confirmed by Peter Roberts recently. One key item though is that all the movements use the Nivaflex-1 mainspring, which appears to used in manufacture movements by GO, UN, GP, IWC and Maurice Lacroix normally. .So not only is this not an standard movement, all movements in the range have an updated mainspring which is better quality than the Nivaflex-NM ones used in normal top/chronometer grade movements..
    Agreed there are additional modifications that I did not mentions so thanks for the addition. Also thanks for the link to Soprod. I'm afraid I can't agree with you that this is a Soprod movement. If you follow the bread crumbs back from your link this is under the section "Additional Modules" and then "for Vallioux 7750". The actual Soprod movements are in a completely different area. In addition as David said this is a modification beyond what is shown on the link (note the date is at the 4.5 not the 6 ).

    Prior to Festina acquiring, and actually having Soprod movements, it was quite common for people to call a 7750 with a Soprod module a Soprod movement. Given Peter Roberts time in the industry it is reasonably to assume that this was what he meant. Can you provide a link or source from where you saw this so we can have our sources at Bremont verify this comment with him?

    This is a really interesting subject that I'm really enjoying the discussion on. This will be a great reference item for the technical area once we have this fully documented.
    Last edited by samanator; August 21st, 2011 at 18:40.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator




    My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

  6. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    492

    Re: Bremont ALT1-C Review

    Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    Agreed there are additional modifications that I did not mentions so thanks for the addition. Also thanks for the link to Soprod. I'm afraid I can't agree with you that this is a Soprod movement. If you follow the bread crumbs back from your link this is under the section "Additional Modules" and then "for Vallioux 7750". The actual Soprod movements are in a completely different area. In addition as David said this is a modification beyond what is shown on the link (note the date is at the 4.5 not the 6 ).

    Prior to Festina acquiring, and actually having Soprod movements, it was quite common for people to call a 7750 with a Soprod module a Soprod movement. Given Peter Roberts time in the industry it is reasonably to assume that this was what he meant. Can you provide a link or source from where you saw this so we can have our sources at Bremont verify this comment with him?

    This is a really interesting subject that I'm really enjoying the discussion on. This will be a great reference item for the technical area once we have this fully documented.
    We're in violent agreement, to me a movement you buy from Soprod is a Soprod movement rather than buying a Soprod module to a Valjoux movement you modify yourself. You'll also know how easy it is to change the date wheel.

    I also agree that when Peter didn't correct me when asked 'apart from the Soprod movement in the Alt1-C, where any other movements modified by Soprod?' he meant the Valjoux7750 Movement modified and purchased from Soprod as well.

    In terms of the source, it's me from a conversation I had with Peter at the last gig organised in London by the official Bremont forum over at ATG. Apart from showing you the video which proves I talked to him, there's nothing else. I can easily ask Peter to confirm I spoke to him through the owners if you like?
    Last edited by bydandie; August 21st, 2011 at 19:14.

  7. #16
    Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    11,519

    Re: Bremont ALT1-C Review

    Quote Originally Posted by bydandie View Post

    In terms of the source, it's me from a conversation I had with Peter at the last gig organized in London by the official Bremont forum over at ATG. Apart from showing you the video which proves I talked to him, there's nothing else. I can easily ask Peter to confirm I spoke to him through the owners if you like?
    Not questioning that it happen just trying to have a reference to point to if we go back to ask what he meant. Now we have one. Plus it would be great to get more details over the full modification from him. We will pass this along to our contacts.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator




    My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

  8. #17
    Member abuemily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    839

    Re: Bremont ALT1-C Review

    I absolutely love this watch! I originally purchased the Supermarine, but changed my mind and swapped it for this model, which became my favorite. This is it (Q&D) on the bracelet, for a different look:




    Nishant and otown like this.

  9. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    492

    Re: Bremont ALT1-C Review

    Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    Not questioning that it happen just trying to have a reference to point to if we go back to ask what he meant. Now we have one. Plus it would be great to get more details over the full modification from him. We will pass this along to our contacts.
    If you want more details about the Valjoux 7750-SO BI AC movement then I'd ask Soprod. Mike will simply ask the same people I know so I'm not sure what further information you'll get? In terms of asking about the nivarex mainspring I'd wait until my query has been answered that I lodged last week. ;)

  10. #19
    Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    11,519

    Re: Bremont ALT1-C Review

    Quote Originally Posted by abuemily View Post
    I absolutely love this watch! I originally purchased the Supermarine, but changed my mind and swapped it for this model, which became my favorite. This is it (Q&D) on the bracelet, for a different look:




    Please add these to the photo album if you would? Also can you add some comments with regards to the bracelet?
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator




    My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

  11. #20
    Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    11,519

    Re: Bremont ALT1-C Review

    Quote Originally Posted by bydandie View Post
    If you want more details about the Valjoux 7750-SO BI AC movement then I'd ask Soprod. Mike will simply ask the same people I know so I'm not sure what further information you'll get? In terms of asking about the nivarex mainspring I'd wait until my query has been answered that I lodged last week. ;)
    Kind of late I already sent in a series of questions on this and a few other things (And not Soprod questions..more technical related). Interested to hear what they say. Please report back and I will do the same.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator




    My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •