Bremont Supermarine Review (Black and Green)
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bremont Supermarine Review (Black and Green)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Pen Bremont Supermarine Review (Black and Green)

The Supermarine carries Bremont ties to the aviation industry by sharing the name with many famous past seaplanes. This is Bremont’s diver and before I go any further, yes it does have all the makings of an ISO diver as we will discuss in a little while, but Bremont has opted not to have a luminous indicator on the second hand. Bremont is not the first to do this and will most likely not be the last. At least they have opted to keep the reason for this to themselves. Now that we have that out of the way let’s move on.

The Supermarine is offered in four color combination which are black, silver, blue and black and green. The last color combination is also used on the Limited Edition “Descent” model which has a DLC case and also can be had with a DLC bracelet This review will concentrate on the black and green SS case version which I selected to add to my collection. Ask ten people and each of the five choices and variants between strap or bracelet will be selected once so the color choices seem spot on. Something about the minty green and black with the SS case just seems to appeal to me most.

The watch case uses Bremont’s Trip-Tick case with a brushed SS upper portion, a DLC coated ribbed center section, SS screw down crown with a black contrasting ring, polished on the face and brushed on the side crown guard appendage and SS case back. The Bezel is 120 clicks SS with a luminous sapphire insert. These features are the same for all of the standard models, and all SS items are DLC coated on the Descent LE model. The bezel pip is a luminous triangle with a blacked out dot that is much easier to see than just a pip dot. The first 20 markers are reversed lumed with the whole area in green lume, and the indexes and numbers blacked out. The rest of the bezel is blacked out with luminous indexes and numbers. It makes for a good presentation in the dark. The Dial and hands is where the Supermarine departs the most from other Bremont models. The dial appears to have four levels if you count the applied markers and the chapter ring. Starting in the middle there is a vertical pin-stripe texture With the Bremont logo at the top and the Supermarine name and Water Resistance (WR) rating near the bottom. The framed polished day/date window protrudes in with the day portion in the middle and the date in the second level. The second level is in a matt finish where the polished SS framed applied markers are attached to form the third level. They raise up nicely and are deep so a generous amount of lume can be filled to the top of each. There are two bars at the 12, a single bar at the 6 and nine and an abbreviated bar due to the day/date window at the 3. The other 5 minute markers have circular indexes in place. The chapter ring (reflector) rests on the dial and is at a very narrow angle. It contains 1 second (minute) marks between the numeral 5 second (minute) marks around the circumference. The hands are very unique in the dive watch arena and kind of hard to describe(but I will try). They have a classy retro look that in some ways has similar shapes to the Rolex Submariner Mercedes hands. These also have long pointers that in the case of the hour hand reach all the way to the inside of the index and for the minute hand it reaches up to the chapter ring. The luminous areas of these have the hour looking like a tapering stick and ball, and the minute hand looking like a reverse two section widening tapered stick. Even if the lume was not charged on the bezel I could pick out this watch in the dark. It really is that distinct. The second hand reaches out almost to the rehaut and in the light paints a nice little rotating silver dot that circles crystal as it moves around the dial. This is caused by the polished area where the crystal is set in the case and the slight taper on the edge of the domed sapphire crystal. The crystal is 34mm across and is AR coated. The watch is very readable in any light situations.

I love well designed rubber straps on divers so I did not even consider the excellent Bremont bracelet when shopping. The strap is 22mm at the case with a slight taper down to 20mm before the first hole. It is curved at the end and seats perfectly at the case. The pin buckle is heavy duty and signed Bremont on the tang. It is notched so it sits down nice and flat atop the strap. The strap is sized big and the first hole stars at about a 7.25” wrist and goes up to 9.00” by my measurements. One other neat feature to note on the strap is it has reliefs cut in at each lug to allow a strap tool tip to fit in and not operate in the blind when releasing the spring bars. Thankfully Bremont choose to put their logo on the inside of the strap and not on the outside. There are two heavy duty rubber keepers to control the end. The line patter on the strap is a nice compliment to the stripes on the dial.

The watch is built with an anti-magnetic faraday cage and Bremont’s patented anti-shock protection system. The BE-36AE Chronometer features 25 jewels, Anichrom balance spring, Nivaflex mainspring and a 38 hour power reserve. Stetting of the 2 o’clock positioned screw down crown is a conventional two clicks out for time. one in for day/date and all the way in for winding. The grip on the crown is gear teeth pattern that is easily to operate.

Some quick measurements are as follows. The case is 43mm wide without the crown and guard and 45mm with them. The Bezel is 43 mm with a notch knurling that starts at the top and goes halfway down the side. It has 2 clicks per second or 120 clicks total and turns unidirectional in a counter clockwise direction. The bezel is a nice trim 4mm from crystal to edge when viewed face on. The SS screw down case back domes out some and protrudes down about 2mm below the bottom of the lugs. Total thickness from the highest point of the domed crystal to the thickest point of the case bottom is 16.25mm. The lugs have 22mm spacing and the lug to lug length of the watch is 51mm. We’ll also mentioned that the watch features an automatic Helium Escape Valve (HEV) at the 9 o’clock position on the side of the case and is water resistant to 500m.

So how does the watch work on the wrist. Generally dive watches are very heavy and unbalanced which is not the case with the Supermarine. It feels almost weightless and very balanced with no movement strapped down on my wrist. Once I figured out how to work my fingers around the crown guard I discover I could set and wind the watch on my wrist if I chose to do so. The unidirectional bezel has the right balance between not overly tight force to move with just the right heft at each detent. Thankfully it also has nothing to catch hairs in as you move it around. There is plenty of strap for up to an 8.5” wrist to fit over a wet suit or 9.00” on the bare wrist. The lume is bright and lasts right up there with the best of the conventional lume watches. I believe the yellow green color has an advantage over the color used on the black or blue dial by a little bit (most likely C3). Once you get use to the unique lume pattern on the hands it is really easy to read the time. Bremont also used day and date wheels with white number on black background dials to give the watch a more integrated feel. This is a little detail that many other manufactures miss. As someone who has been a diver for almost 30 year, at 65 feet everything was very readable in the beautiful blue green water off of Boca Raton, Florida. The watch wears to size and as mentioned is readable in any light level.

Bremont spent a lot of time testing this watch with champion free diver Sara Campbell and it shows. The watch has a very natural feel to it on the wrist and yet has many unique qualities that make it desirable. With its multilevel textured dial, applied indexes and distinct hands it is very unique in the Bremont line. With the current trend on divers now to have either a sapphire or ceramic insert it also very today. I’m also glad Bremont chose the thin bezel width which gives the watch a more classic look rather than making it wider or losing dial area to a thicker bezel. In the SS/ black/green configuration the watch has a nice staggering between bright SS and black. The ribbed DLC center barrel along with the unique crown protector and crown position make it look unique among divers. In addition the crown protector could be replaced if damaged since it is retained by two hex screws. The green color makes it look like it is glowing in the day light which is part of its appeal to me. Given my love of divers the Supermarine fits well into my collection without getting lost. I’m 99.9% convinced that I also prefer the long sleek second hand that would just not fit very well with a glowing meatball or something else on either end. Maybe that is why it’s missing…Hmmm! Those crafty English guys.

Enjoy the pictures

Last edited by samanator; October 3rd, 2011 at 18:02.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Re: Bremont Supermarine Review (Black and Green)

Great photos and nice review!

The black & green remains my favorite color combination. Kudos to Bremont on such a great strap design! I wish more makers would take note.
    -Brian

Watch Nerd

Very nice. Thanks for the write up. I am trying to decide between this and the MBII I am leaning more and more towards the Supermarine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BA211 View Post
    Very nice. Thanks for the write up. I am trying to decide between this and the MBII I am leaning more and more towards the Supermarine.
    I had a MBII in for review (coming soon) and was in the same boat. When I had the chance to see this and the MBII together I opted for the Supermarine. Note that divers always have a soft spot for me. I think my top three Bremonts are this, the cream Alt1-C and the black and white Solo. I also was back and forth between this color combo and the blue but this one just spoke to me more.
    Michael

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Great review samanator!

Making me rethink a decision I was about to make...

Hmmm.....

un. real.

Quote Originally Posted by verrocchio100 View Post
    Great review samanator!

Making me rethink a decision I was about to make...

Hmmm.....
    If you can try them all on...walk away. and see what one sticks. A question only you can answer.
    Michael

Spot-on review, Michael. Photos are great as well. After nearly four months with my Supermarine, I still find the multifaceted dial to be mesmerizing. Surprisingly, I do not find myself missing a lumed second hand, although I think Bremont could find a way to apply a dab of lume on the tail to give this dive watch the only thing I consider to be missing, other than enough microadjustments on the bracelet clasp, that is.

Admittedly I'm no expert, but I think this watch will stand the test of time because it's a competent diver, as you noted, and because it's so classy. This one looks good on the wrist in and out of the water, with jeans and with a suit.
    Last edited by jstroh; October 3rd, 2011 at 15:41.
    Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller | Eterna Super KonTiki 1973 Limited Edition

beautiful watch and thanks for the pictures. supermarine is definitely on my short list- it is an excellent looking watch with technical specs that elevate it from the herd. congratulations!

Its a PVD case, not DLC. The Descent is DLC although the barrel is probably still PVD.

A couple of pics from versions I used to own.

Its a great watch. Beautiful. Too thick. Very uncomfortable rubber strap, very. Impeccable build.

For the money, its better in almost all regards than an IWC Aquatimer 2000.

_DSC3268.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC3210.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC3259.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC3546-Edit.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

P1000632.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

P1000620.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

P1000618.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

P1000615.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

P1000626.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr
    Last edited by samanator; October 3rd, 2011 at 20:53.
    fasthandssam likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information