Supermarine Road Test in the Southern Red Sea (Part 1)

Thread: Supermarine Road Test in the Southern Red Sea (Part 1)

Supermarine Road Test in the Southern Red Sea (Part 1)

Cross-posted from Official Forum.

So. Many of you will know that I've had an SM500 for some time. In fact, I think I got one of the first ever made - purchased from ATG Vintage and delivered via Bremont on the first day... Anyway. Enough of the chitter chatter.

I thought I'd try and do a brief real-life road test / review of the Bremont Supermarine (SM500) for you, covering how it performed above and below water. I'm not sure it'll be able to compete with the Supermarine review posted a couple of weeks' ago, but there we are. The aim was to produce a true warts and all review - trying to capture some of the very good bits, and anything not so good along the way. Unfortunately, we had a small technical failure on the second day, and the (Panasonic) case housing our little Lumix DMC-ZX3 suffered a flooding, due to one of the pushers leaking.

So. What do I have? A few photos. A couple of videos. And a bucketload of low quality iPhone shots taken on the surface. Hopefully, this won't detract too much from the review, but obviously, I'd hoped it would have had a lot more, and more interesting photographic content...

Right then. To business. You all know the watch: Bremont's first amphibious model - rated to 500m, tested to beyond 1400m. Hardened stainless steel with coated mid-section making up the classic Bremont Trip-Tick(R) case. Auto HEV and SuperLumiNova-coated dial markings and bezel numerals and a rugged rubber strap.

I was glad of the hardened steel when kitting up - dive boats are lethal to shiny metal watches, often deliberately placing parts of themselves between the watch and the space its owner intends to inhabit. In doing so, they tend to bang, knock, scrape and generally abuse watches in a way that few other environments are able.

Oh. And did I mention that we were predominantly diving from Zodiacs? All those people, bumping along the choppy surface, banging tanks. Rolling out backwards, hauling ourselves in. I'm already questioning whether taking the Supermarine was a good idea...

But, isn't that the point of a dive watch, its raison d'etre? To get wet. To go deep. To keep time. And to come up smiling?

[Parts 2 and 3 to come]

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar
    Great start but the pictures don't appear to working except for the thumb nails.

Note looks better on the PC on the Ipad with Tapatalk the pictures are too small.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by samanator; October 17th, 2011 at 14:06.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Re: Supermarine Road Test in the Southern Red Sea (Part 1)

iPhone photos, as I said. Not great quality and not really worth looking at in more detail, I'm afraid. Hence Part 2 and Part 3, which will focus on some underwater photos I managed to take before the flood, and some video I managed to recover from the SD card.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice, Noodlefish!
    I like the photos (and the SM), a lot.

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Cool

SWEET WATCH

Thread Information