Introduction and my contribution to the Mooren brand
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dimi0808

Thread: Introduction and my contribution to the Mooren brand

Introduction and my contribution to the Mooren brand

Dear watch fanatics,

Now the official Mooren forum is online it is time to introduce myself so I can tell you something about my motivations why I helped Mick starting his own brand and how I experienced the development process. Some of you maybe already have read my introduction on WUS, but with this story I hope to inform you more about some technical aspects and choices we made during the development process.

My name is Dimitri Janssen and I'm 32 years old and live in the Netherlands. In my daily job I'm a mechanical design engineer in the semiconductor industry for more than 10 years now. As a little kid I was always fascinated about watches. To me watches are more than just a timepiece but also part of the presentation of you. Over the last 3 years I get more interested and known about the world of mechanical watches. Because I'm a mechanical design engineer I know what precision engineering means and a watch is definitely high-tech precision engineering. That's what really fascinates me and the main reason why I offered to help Mick with his new brand.

I like to design mechanical parts and I'm familiar with the basics of it. When I read the topic about Mick on the Dutch forum about starting his own brand this was my chance to design something I really like. The mechanical basics, the manufacturing processes, how to set up models and drawings, a supplier’s network, was all in place and perfect to help Mick. Maybe it is hard to believe but I didn't have any doubts to contact Mick about his plans and to judge if all this was feasible. I remember the first contact by mail, I was on skiing holiday and couldn't wait until I was back in the apartment to check my mail and see the first sketches Mick mailed me. When I saw the first sketches of the case I knew he was serious about it. If the case had weird angles and futuristic shapes I definitely did not work out the sketches because I never think it is going to work. As a designer you must have confidence in your product otherwise you must not design it.

When Mick visited me for the first time to talk about the sketches I was surprised by his knowledge about his model. All the dimensions of the parts were inside his head and gave me the confidence he knew what he was talking about. If you want a good product all pieces of the puzzle have to fit. The corporation with Mick is excellent from the first sketches till now.

When I started to work out the sketches into a 3D-model we had some discussion points about the manufacturing. Because it is all that precise you have to take the manufacturing tolerances in count. What tolerances do we need to get a good product? If you want a high accuracy on your product, you will need special machines to manufacture, which will increase the retail price. Do we need a high accuracy which results in a higher retail price? Therefore it is important to decide in advance what tolerances we needed and find a good balance between quality and retail price.
    When we finished the first drawings it was time to find a good supplier which is capable to manufacture the product with the quality we want and a cost price we like. We visited several suppliers with different prices. We always asked ourselves if they can deliver the quality we want and do we have confidence with this supplier. Because all suppliers we visited did not have experience with watches but are all well-established fine mechanical manufactures we decided to go for an experienced manufacturer like Ickler. Ickler has experience which is very important to us, because they can deliver the quality we want. Quality is what Mooren wants and stands for.

The first prototypes are delivered by Ickler and I’m impressed. It all fits which is always exciting with parts you designed. When it all fits, no matter what I designed, I always get the WOW effect and I’m relieved. I think this is part of the addiction which is called designing…..

Hope you like my story about the Mooren watch and it’s a great honor to contributing this project. Thank you for reading and if you have questions don’t hesitate.

Best regards,

Dimitri
    mickmo92 likes this.

Re: Introduction and my contribution to the Mooren brand

Nice to read your motivation and experience.
    best regards,

Marco

Thanks for your introductionary post, Dimitri. I think we must meet some day which should not be too difficult, since we seem to live in the same place
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dimitri, thank you for sharing your story!
    Best regards,

Mick Mooren

Hi Dimitri (and Mick)

thanks for this introduction and background. The start-up of your watch company is exciting for us, so I can only imagine how it must be for you, living it. Exciting and a bit scary too, I bet.

I know the feeling of designing something, having it manufactured and then seeing all the parts come (and fit!!) together. Been there myself in the pre CAD/CAM era. Sketch it out on paper, make 2D projections, create drawings in ink, provide measures, tolerances, etc and then send it off.

As I wrote in one of the Dutch threads, I'm following this with great interest and if I only somewhat like your first watch, I will own one.

RonB

PS - Mick, just noticed that you added to your profile that your from Venray - I am originally from even a bit further South: Landgraaf. Moved to Alkmaar in '71, followed by several more moves in The Netherlands and finally to the US in '00

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Hi Dimitri (and Mick)

thanks for this introduction and background. The start-up of your watch company is exciting for us, so I can only imagine how it must be for you, living it. Exciting and a bit scary too, I bet.

I know the feeling of designing something, having it manufactured and then seeing all the parts come (and fit!!) together. Been there myself in the pre CAD/CAM era. Sketch it out on paper, make 2D projections, create drawings in ink, provide measures, tolerances, etc and then send it off.

As I wrote in one of the Dutch threads, I'm following this with great interest and if I only somewhat like your first watch, I will own one.

RonB

PS - Mick, just noticed that you added to your profile that your from Venray - I am originally from even a bit further South: Landgraaf. Moved to Alkmaar in '71, followed by several more moves in The Netherlands and finally to the US in '00

Nice we have followers from the other side of the ocean . Dutch people are everywhere....
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Watchuseek Admin View Post
    Thanks for your introductionary post, Dimitri. I think we must meet some day which should not be too difficult, since we seem to live in the same place
    It is getting better and better.... What a small world we are living in. Soon Mick also will move to the "parel van het zuiden". A meeting would be no problem, I guess....

Good to read that you are interested in my project.
    I know Landgraaf, I go there sometimes to keep up with my snowboarding skills at "Snowworld". At the moment I still live in Venray, but from the 29th of August I will be in Breda every week from monday to friday.
    I hope of course that when I launch the watch, I can seduce you to buy a one, haha .

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Hi Dimitri (and Mick)

RonB

Last edited by mickmo92; August 20th, 2011 at 01:48.
    Best regards,

Mick Mooren

Let's take this to PM and make an appointment.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

Thread Information