My next project: my own watch brand, Mooren watch! - Page 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My next project: my own watch brand, Mooren watch!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: My next project: my own watch brand, Mooren watch!

Mick, like our fellow correspondents I wish you the best in your new enterprise!

Having been a designer for longer than I want to think about, I have a really off-the-wall idea regarding movements. Sure enough, ETA is a good yardstick that we can all relate to, but looking at boutique makers such as Touby, if I were to get one I would insist on one with a restored vintage movement instead.

There are some firms using restored vintage movements, or NOS movements from other manufacturers, and make a point of it. Thinking out loud here: if a watch of modern design - around 38mm diameter - housing something like a restored and decorated Raketa 2603 (such as with all screws polished and blued) with a display back, it might be intriguing!

All the best to you. To be so much involved at your age is amazing. I'm happy to be a witness of this. I can't wait to see what you come with. You can be proud of yourself young man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ Daniel ~

I've had the very same idea for quite some time now, but never got through with it

I wish you all the best and can't wait to see what you come up with !

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Mick, like our fellow correspondents I wish you the best in your new enterprise!

Having been a designer for longer than I want to think about, I have a really off-the-wall idea regarding movements. Sure enough, ETA is a good yardstick that we can all relate to, but looking at boutique makers such as Touby, if I were to get one I would insist on one with a restored vintage movement instead.

There are some firms using restored vintage movements, or NOS movements from other manufacturers, and make a point of it. Thinking out loud here: if a watch of modern design - around 38mm diameter - housing something like a restored and decorated Raketa 2603 (such as with all screws polished and blued) with a display back, it might be intriguing!
    my .02 I think this is a brilliant idea!

"You can't do it unless you imagine it."
    - George Lucas

Hi Mick... starting a watch company sounds like great fun... I also have a passion for watches and design and am thinking about starting a company... I'm into industrial design, clean simple utilitarian design....

here's my first design.

Tor

Subscribed, my man!

Your passion is truly inspiring, and let me tell you, your age is irrelevant because people will always try to pull you down from the clouds. You seem to have the maturity and intelligence to start such a daunting task, but it's your passion and ambition that will keep you cool and flying high

You had better get this thing finished, 'cause I'm itching for a cool new watch.

Thanks again for all the replies!

@kelwatches: Thank you for your advice, I was already planning to do something like that and I can assure you that the first teasers will appear within a short period of time.

@Seele: Thanks for your reply. I like your idea, but it is not the way I am heading with my watch brand. Also, It is less practical for me to use restored vintage movements. I do like some other brands that do use restored vintage movements though, but It is just not what I am looking for in my own watch brand.

@deluxebrand: Good luck on your project! I don't know how much you know about watchmaking, but don't forget that starting your own watch brand involves much more than just a design. Getting your own design into production takes a lot of time and perseverance. You will also need quite some capital to start with. And don't forget that good marketing is maybe even the most important of all.
    Personally I think your designs are a bit to much mainstream, because I think they aren't really distinctive. But that's just my personal opinion, so just forget what I said Taste is just so personal.

@Pacient: It is never to late to give it another try :D

I apologize for my late response, but that's because I just arrived home after a week of winter sports.
    I'll keep you guys posted!

Kindly regards,

Mick Mooren

My next project: my own watch brand, Mooren watch! UPDATE: Strap choice

Dear readers,

Last Friday I had an appointment with Kaufmann, a German watch strap manufacturer. I saw about every strap you can think about, from the more basic straps to the most exclusive straps. We talked about the possibilities and it didn't took long until I realized that about everything is possible. You say it and they can make it for you, awsome!
    So, eventually I told the spokesman of Kaufmann what I was looking for and he told me that (of course) they can make the straps I was looking for. After we spoke through all the details of the straps I decided to go for two different straps, so that people can choose.
    So, the first thing I am gonna reveal about my watch is about the straps I will be using:

Strap 1:
    Cognac colour
    20mm wide throughout the strap
    4.5mm thickness throughout the strap
    Calf croco leather
    Subtle white stichting
    Dark brown sides
    Strap ends reinforced with glass fiber
    Handmade in Germany
    Mooren branding on the inside of the strap

Strap 2:
    The same as strap one, but in black and with black sides.

Sadly enough I can't show a picture yet, because the straps still have to be made.

Hope you guys like the strap choice. (Although it is hard to decide for you, because you don't know what the rest of the watch looks like)
    Feedback is always welcome and will be appreciated!

Thanks for reading

Kindly regards,

Mick Mooren

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information