My next project: my own watch brand, Mooren watch!
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My next project: my own watch brand, Mooren watch!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My next project: my own watch brand, Mooren watch!

*approved by Ernie Romers, site owner*

Dear watch aficionados,

As some of you already know from my previous post (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/spec...ur-498563.html) I am really passionate about watchmaking. In my everyday life I am always in some kind of way busy with watches. Already since I started to get interested in watches I have been making sketches of my own watch designs. In the beginning I made quite conceptual drawings, but the more I read about watches and the more watches I saw, the more my style refined. Since the beginning of my passion My style has changed a lot and my appreciation for vintage and classic elements grew.

A year and a few months ago I started watchmaking as a hobby and as some of you read in my previous topic, I got a lot of tools and a workbench from an uncle of my father who used to be a watchmaker. I invested time and money in the workbench and tools and practiced a lot on old movements. My guide in this learning process has been a book called “Modern watch repairing” (from he 50s) and of course the internet. Thanks to my father his uncle I got the change to really learn watchmaking with which I already achieved some nice things, like my El Primero refurbishment.
    My hobby keeps getting bigger and bigger and also the area of my room that is used for my hobby is getting bigger and bigger.

Here are some pictures of my workbench:

Some of you might think that this satisfied al my needs, but the thing is… it didn’t! I don’t want to sound spoiled or something, but it is just that my passion for watches kept growing. To be precise I wanted to start my own watch brand. That wasn’t without a reason, because I have been drawing watches since I got interested in them. And at that point I felt like I had a very strong design with much potential. It may sound a bit naive for someone who is just eighteen years old, but I think you can’t be early enough!

I have already had a lot of feedback on my design from people that work in the business and they were all quite positive.

When I started with realizing my watch, I ran up to a lot of problems, but I didn’t give up and kept doing research and kept trying to find new possibilities. A few weeks before my post here about my El Primero, I already started a topic on a Dutch watch forum about this matter and about the problems I ran up to.

The main problem I had, was the watchcase, because it turned out to be REALLY expensive to put my watchcase into production and I told about that on the Dutch forum. I got a lot of great tips and replies there and I felt even more motivated and determined to succeed.
    I got a great tip from a member called Dimitri about precision engineering companies. He said that precision engineering companies don’t mind smaller quantities. Eventually he even offered me to make al the technical drawings of the case for me, because he works as a technical engineer in precision mechanics and already has a lot of experience. This was awesome, because it seemed possible now to produce my own watchcase.
    Since then We have both spent a lot of time on developing the technical drawings of the case. Every time we solved a problem, another problem turned up. By now the drawings are as good as done. This week I will receive the first offer from a company that may produce my case in the near future.

Also all the replies I received on my Zenith topic over here motivated me to succeed with this project, so thanks everyone! I kept silent about this project, but I feel like now is the right time to start a topic about this matter.

I already registered myself at the chamber of commerce and I have found almost all my suppliers already. My brother has his own company in webdesign, so he offered me to make the website for me.
    I am very lucky with all the great contacts I have and all the great people I have met during this project. I am spending almost all my spare time in developing my own watch brand. This is my dream and I am going for it! I keep realistic though! I don’t want to make the mistake of getting lost in my own passion and determination and loosing grip on reality.

I always think that if there is a will, there is a way! As long as you keep trying you will eventually succeed.

I am afraid that I can’t share the design with you guys, because I will keep it secret until the launch of my very own watch. That is mainly because I am afraid that other people will steal my design, you never know. In the run up to the launch I will give little bits of information about the design.

To give you guys a bit of an idea about the style of the watch I will tell you a bit about my vision. I tried to combine vintage elements with modern elements in a quite modern watch. The watch has its own face, its own style. The style is casual, but will also fit under a nice suit.

A few technical specifications (subject to change):

Case:
    Steel
    42,2mm in diameter
    12,3m height including glass, 11,8mm excluding glass
    See-through caseback

Movement:
    ETA 2824
    Probably a higher grade with decoration

Strap:
    Leather
    Probably made by Kauffman (to my own specifications)

Price:
    Very hard to tell, but probably somewhere between 750 an 850 Euros.

If anyone has tips or advice for me I would really appreciate that!

To tease you already a little bit, you can take a look on Moorenwatch.com - A young vision on watchmaking and if you want to stay up to date you can subscribe to my newsletter.

Eventually it is my goal to share my passion for watchmaking with everyone around the world. I formulate it as “A young vision on watchmaking”
    As it looks now my watch will be probably for sale in about 3 to 6 months time.

I thought this might be worthwhile sharing with you guys. I will keep you informed about the progess I make! I hope you enjoyed reading!

Kindly regards,

Mick Mooren
    Last edited by Ernie Romers; March 2nd, 2011 at 11:10.
    Kyle L and blackrockminerson like this.

Re: My next project: my own watch brand, Mooren watch!

goodluck mick! keep us posted. i'd love to know how your venture will go.

Good Luck on your venture! I believe in the statement...."Find out what it is that you love to do and find a way to get paid for it!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cant wait to see it!!!! A great story behind a watch is always a selling point to me.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Good luck with your endeavor! Great to have such ambition at a young age.
    "Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

I wish you the best of luck. I'd love you to scan and post some of your early sketches (not of this watch but others you've thought of).

Thanks for the replies so far
    My drawing skills aren't really great, so my sketches aren't actually beautiful. I make them just to have an idea for myself. At this point I am not going to share my sketches yet, sorry, but give it some time and they will turn up

Kindly regards,

Mick Mooren

Wow, Mick! You just keep astonishing me, what a great guy you are! I loved the Zenith story, and this might actually develop to something even more awesome. All the best for this project from Finland, man!

I am keeping fingers crossed in this hard endeavor. Yet, I feel you have the spark that WILL set you apart. Start small, be smart and careful with money.

I wish you all the best - cannot wait to see some sketches or designs. If I may, without imposing, suggest one thing - take a look at the Steinhart forums, read the threads on the Proteus Project. One thing you can consider is to ask WUS to help you design one piece. Pre-orders will be preferential, the rest should be ready to ship (no delays).

Keeping fingers crossed you come up with your own feel and style. I better just shut up and WISH YOU BEST OF LUCK
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

good luck!! I was be looking forward to your watches! =]
    i like your vision of traditional modern

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information