WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Aquadive Poseidon Bathyscaphe GMT Limited Edition

68K views 486 replies 89 participants last post by  I Like em BIG ! ! 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting an Aquadive back in my collection and I think this is the one [emoji106]

At 12mm thin, this should wear very comfortable on the wrist [emoji106]

Worn and wound review [emoji106]

https://wornandwound.com/review/exclusive-review-aquadive-poseidon-gmt/

Page & Cooper Video review

Thoughts?

[emoji482]
Shannon

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

See less See more
1 6
#205 ·
Got mine just hours ago.
Quality is better than expected, I actually might keep this... still deliberating.. havent removed the wrap. Finishing is quite nice, though I'm not a fan of the sharp inner edges between the lugs, also I'm disappointed by the lack of HRV valve, the samples sent to Worn and Wound and Page&Cooper had them, and while it was a feature that I never would use it gave the watch that extra cool little detail.
Isofranes feel real good!

#210 ·
Tbh, I'll never get enough depth to use the HEV, so it doesn't really bother me. But for pro divers, there maybe a difference for them.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Doubtful...

#212 ·
No sure if the GMT is working right. I set my GMT hand about 7 hours behind yesterday and today, my hour bands are caught up with my GMT hands. How do the GMT hand work? Doesn't I moved proportion to the hour hand So it's always behind or Infront ?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

#214 ·
This is correct, the regular hour hand will rotate around the dial twice for every one rotation of the GMT hand. If you set the GMT hand to the same time zone as the regular hour hand, they should read the same time. The GMT hand will read on the outer 24 hour ring and the regular hour hand will read on the main 12 hour markers.

Aquadive Mod 1

#215 ·
I actually like the gmt hand on this watch even though it makes little sense on a diver. Not sure if I'd prefer it with or without, but I like way it compliments the logo and rehaut.
No longer on the fence with this one, definitely a keeper and I'm glad I preordered.
Still wish it had the hev though

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#216 · (Edited)
The evolution of the dive watch as a tool for recreational and professional divers since the Sixties has dictated what features were need to add functionality, safety and reliability. But over the past 2 decades Watch companies have been competing by overengineering their watches and adding technical features, and I have to admit Aquadive was/is one of them. But when Aquadive was approached by Poseidon to create a practical everyday divers, it quickly became obvious that this watch will not be about extreme specs and a gazillion meter water resistance and triple HRVs.
As most of recreational divers have to travel to a remote resort to dive, the GMT idea was born, and the main focus was every day practicality, that is why the HRV was ditched and overall height was reduced and the GMT was added. This is a modern Interpretation of a practical dive and water sports watch with practical functionality. In fact, most of us, who travel will find the GMT function extremely useful in everyday life and more important than an HRV.

#217 ·
I get what you're saying but most... ALL divers I know rely on dive computers, not analog watches.
The wrist watch itself is far outdated as a dive tool, a modern dive watch is an anachronism. That being said I think the concept of overbuilt tools I will never use becomes appealing, kind of like a suped up sports car that I will never test the true limits of on the highway ; it's built to do what I'll never do, but it can and it looks the part.

Thanks for the reply

#218 ·
I don't dive anymore. Detached a retina on my last dive. While I agree with you about divers using dive computers now, I always found it reassuring to have a good old fashioned mechanical wristwatch with me for that belt, braces and safety pins thing :) Anachronism maybe but far outdated as a dive tool definitely not. Interestingly enough all the divers I know, and that includes sat divers, still wear a watch

I get what you're saying but most... ALL divers I know rely on dive computers, not analog watches.
The wrist watch itself is far outdated as a dive tool, a modern dive watch is an anachronism. That being said I think the concept of overbuilt tools I will never use becomes appealing, kind of like a suped up sports car that I will never test the true limits of on the highway ; it's built to do what I'll never do, but it can and it looks the part.

Thanks for the reply

#219 ·
Mine is running on average about 5-7 sec/day. I'll take that, especially since it seems to be improved as it breaks in.

#224 ·
Yep... a torch! It even lights up the rehaut!

#225 ·
Some comments; I agree that the GMT feature is unnecessary for a diver watch. The reason why I prefer it is because it forces the company to use the eta 2892 based caliber which is quite possibly the best eta caliber ever made in my opinion. It has been the caliber of choice for IWC and Omega prior to going to in house movements.

As far as a hev is concerned, as others have said unless you plan on living in a bell, there is no need for it. It is a useless device for 99.99% of divers.

As for modern diving, yes, mechanical analog watches are not as common these days, as most people use two dive computers. Many do a console and a wrist or two wrist. However, computers are just that. A mechanical time piece is a good backup to a computer or even two computers. An auto, eco drive or kinetic are good insurance and backup. So while not necessary, fun to have and perfectly justifiable.

But lets face it for most people who buy dive watches, the most they will do is swim with them.

#253 ·
As for modern diving, yes, mechanical analog watches are not as common these days, as most people use two dive computers. Many do a console and a wrist or two wrist. However, computers are just that. A mechanical time piece is a good backup to a computer or even two computers. An auto, eco drive or kinetic are good insurance and backup. So while not necessary, fun to have and perfectly justifiable.

But lets face it for most people who buy dive watches, the most they will do is swim with them.
Yep, I just ordered a Poseidon, and it'll definitely see some dives in the coming months.....as a backup to my computer as you point out.

That said, there's another use-case for why I think a good old-school analog dive watch is useful. My choice of wrist-based dive computer (a Shearwater Perdix) is so large and silly looking (despite being one of the ultimate computers on the market...) that it's only suitable on the wrist for the few moments that I'm putting on my gear and jumping in the water. So there is logistical stuff (e.g. get to the boat on time) that makes having something on your wrist the entire boat ride that you then don't have to stash away (i.e. a phone which I usually bury in my bag) for the dive itself, quite convenient.

Further to this point, that's why I felt that adding a GMT diver to my collection was a cool bonus as a practical travel feature on drive trips to other time zones. Agree that like with HRVs it's unnecessary though. It'll probably mostly be used for a quick glance to know if my European colleagues have likely left the office for the day, or if I can still catch them ;-0

#233 ·
The model it is based on (Bathysphere 100 GMT) doesn't have that text in its dial. But in its (the Bathysphere's) caseback it reads "Swiss made movement - German made case", while the Poseidon's caseback lacks any such information. Probably due to design reasons.

BTW, does anybody know the grade (top, elabore...) of the movement inside the Poseidon?

#244 ·
Not much that isn't on their website... do you own a computer?

#246 ·
Of course but computers don't really come with DVD drives anymore.
Ummm... I was referring to looking up the website.

Yep mine, has one as well.

#249 ·
Look what up on the website? I'm just asking if anyone knows what is on the included Aquadive DVD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure it is just operating instructions had one with a bathysphere 100 and at that time had a pc with a drive, I also have half a dozen of doxa dvds and I'm guessing the same on those, 2020 would of thought a memory stick better option

#251 ·
For anyone wondering how the Poseidon looks on a beads of rice bracelet...

This bracelet is from Geckota, but as a disclaimer, it took some minor handiwork to get it to fit on the Aquadive. According to my calipers, the Aquadive lug-to-lug was 21.90mm, and the Geckota end links were 21.97mm, so I had to carefully sand off 0.035mm from each end of the end links to get a perfect fit. This was simple enough and at the end of the day it all worked out.

#252 ·
For anyone wondering how the Poseidon looks on a beads of rice bracelet...

View attachment 14805919 View attachment 14805923

This bracelet is from Geckota, but as a disclaimer, it took some minor handiwork to get it to fit on the Aquadive. According to my calipers, the Aquadive lug-to-lug was 21.90mm, and the Geckota end links were 21.97mm, so I had to carefully sand off 0.035mm from each end of the end links to get a perfect fit. This was simple enough and at the end of the day it all worked out.
Looks amazing mate.
One of the best looking divers ive seen in a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.