an interesting non Aquadive topic but generally watch related that I just read
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Rick_M
  • 1 Post By mitchjrj
  • 2 Post By Flyingdoctor

Thread: an interesting non Aquadive topic but generally watch related that I just read

an interesting non Aquadive topic but generally watch related that I just read

Hi everyone, for those who don't know me, I spent 20 years of my business life searching for lost gems of watch history, and revive and resurrect watch culture. The 20 years before, I was an early day IT guy

Today this popped up on my facebook account, an "expert" who is Teaching and consulting in the innovation field since 1990, but doesn't know or understand why we all love, buy and sometimes collect wrist watches: https://www.forbes.com/sites/enrique.../#37f93c8b60ce.

Yes, maybe in terms of units Apple sold more than the entire watch industry, yet in terms of monetary, sentimental and emotional value, an apple watch will never ever come close, and will never win our hearts as every single timepiece discussed on Watchuseek does, whether mechanical or quartz, whether Swiss, German, Japanese, Chinese or Russian, every single piece has a story to tell, an apple watch doesn't. And all the great stuff the apple watch can do, can be done a lot better, faster, better and easier by an iphone. But after 100 years, there is no substitute for the mechanical watch and what it stands for. And for people like the author of the above article, who doesn't understand why we love watches, I find it blunt to claim the apple watch has killed the Swiss Watch industry. While in fact the only product that will get killed is the apple watch itself by its successor in technology, which will probably be a nano chip (from Apple) that will accept input from every voice, or down the road even from our thoughts, and will project the output as a hologram in any space, our own retina, or even into our minds, and that is when the gazillion pieces of apple watches sold will turn into garbage, while the timepieces we discuss here will still be ticking and we will still be debating if 40 or 42mm etc.. is the right size for our wrists

I am not trying to defend my business and the watch industry in general, that I am often not happy with its decisions and progress, but my original background is IT, and I have spend equal times in both fields, and still wonder why articles like this are published in forbes.

What do you guys think?

Rick Marei
    Last edited by Rick_M; 1 Week Ago at 21:05.
    Ladit, Darwin and perfectlykevin like this.

Re: an interesting non Aquadive topic but generally watch related that I just read

Agreed. Anything that requires periodic software upgrades is disposable. There will be an initial emotional zing to a new fancy gadget. But fleeting. And offset by the technical annoyances that come with it. There are certainly cool things that a smart “watch” can do and I can’t deny them. But the last thing I need is another communication device nagging at me.

There is no logic in loving real watches. Long ago transcended just knowing the time. Which makes it impossible to explain to those who don’t get it.
    Ladit likes this.

Re: an interesting non Aquadive topic but generally watch related that I just read

That guy likes his apple products

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

He is simply talking BS. The thing is that you need a new Apple watch every few years, because the old ones are broken and can't be repaired. Simple tech garbage. If you get yourself a reliable watch you have a piece that stands the test of time. It is the same like shaving, everyone talked you into cartridge razors for the smoothest shave ever, completely BS, the only thing you'll get from these is skin irritation and a hole in your wallet. If you're over 40 the display of a smartwatch is not legible enough anyway, so the simple three hand watch gets back its charme.

I am really happy for your contribution, I would love to take this discussion to the general watch forum, as I feel that WUS members all together can make a difference in the industry...

Rick, you have heard me say this so many times... "a quartz watch is just a computer that happens to tell the time". Substitute quartz with Apple watch and it still holds. 24 hours away from a charger and an apple watch is just a lump of dead electronics. At least a broken mechanical watch tells the right time twice a day
    qa_ii and DOXA SUB like this.

An article.......is simply an article! Forbes is not the holder of truth!
    m

Thread Information