New to watches and need help choosing a watch for myself!!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By coastcat
  • 1 Post By coastcat

Thread: New to watches and need help choosing a watch for myself!!

New to watches and need help choosing a watch for myself!!

Hello!

So I’m new to the site and am looking for some suggestions! One of my friends recently introduced me to the world of luxury watches and I’m inl ove! I would like to buy a watch for myself, but I don’t have a whole lot to spend – I’m thinking around 300. This will be my first decent watch.

The details:
    I am 19 years old and in college, so I want a little personality, but still classy. I don’t know a whole lot about the mechanics, but I know I don’t want a strictly “fashion” watch. Probably quartz though. Not super big – maybe like 30-34? I don’t like it when the face has too much going on, the whole chrono thing with stopwatches, etc… but like some sort of detailing on the face. I’m sort of leaning toward something with the rose gold! Also, I’m not a fan of the plastic or rubber bands. (I might be a little too picky for my budget… oops…)

I’m open and looking for any suggestions you guys have!

As sort of a reference, I really love this Cartier, but the $14,000 price tag is wayyyy out of my budget! (the risks of going on the Cartier website…)

Name:  Cartier watch.png
Views: 919
Size:  102.1 KB

Moderator German Watches Forum

Re: New to watches and need help choosing a watch for myself!!

Hello,

Welcome to watchuseek, and thank you for posting a detailed question.

Here is a suggestion in your price range (used, not new) for a simple gold look.
    I see this Edox quartz, a little larger than you are asking for, but thin and light
    at 37mm x 4mm. That is not real gold, but it looks pretty good in the photos.
    It has a sapphire crystal. I don't know the seller. It is currently offered at $200.
    (seller photos)
    Name:  Edox_Les_Genevez_37mm_quartz_800.JPG
Views: 1165
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  Edox_Les_Genevez_37mm_quartz_2_800.JPG
Views: 841
Size:  62.0 KB

I can't post the link here. I don't normally visit this forum. If that is
    interesting just reply here, and Jeannie can get the link from me.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

I think I'd prefer to buy something new, but thanks for the option!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Allow me to introduce you to Christopher Ward, a British watchmaker that takes style cues from the luxury brands... How about the round version of CW's Victoria Deco?

Victoria - Deco - Leather - R30-ROM-SWL - Quartz - Quartz - Swiss Made

Name:  R30-ROM-SWL_8.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  128.3 KB
    [image taken from christopherward-usa.com]

The center dial has a cracked finish, a bit like old marble. This watch is available on a steel bracelet or on a leather strap in purple, chartreuse (a greeny-gold), blue, or black. CW sells directly to consumers - the round Victoria on the steel bracelet is $310, while the leather strap versions are $240 each. The quartz mechanisms are good quality (CW uses Swiss-made Ronda mechanisms).
    Rascasrosa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adtims12 View Post
    I am 19 years old and in college, so I want a little personality, but still classy.
    Where and during what type of activities are you most likely going to wear the watch? For instance, if you play a lot of sports, that should factor into your decision. If it is for everyday, give us a sense as to how you dress or some of the styles you like to wear?

Given your crush on the Cartier above, I suggest:

Ladies Citizen Ciena Diamond Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Watch EM0090-06A

I couldn't find a seller in the US offering this particular watch with the purple band, however, I have ordered items from the UK with success (i'm in the US). You would have to look up the UK to US (assuming you are from the US) exchange rate to see if it falls into your budget. If anything, Amazon sells this watch with a stainless band, so you can always buy a purple watch band if you wanted.

Name:  em0090-06a.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  60.0 KB

Rascarosa- I'm looking to use this watch when i want to dress up an outfit or something. Not really to wear every single day. I'm not super sporty, wear things with lace, and scarves and such. Yes I am in the US! That watch is definitely close to what I'm looking for! I think the face is too much of the same color for my taste though.

coastcat- I actually really like that CW! I think I like it with the black band best. The only thing holding me back is I wish it had a little embellishment/bling of some kind! It'll definitely be a watch I'll keep in mind though!

Just a note: a purple band is not a necessity! Although purple is my favorite color!

If you want a little more sparkle, the Citizen that Rascarosa linked to is an awesome choice. Citizen has a number of models with crystals and/or mother-of-pearl, and has some bangle watches worth looking at as well. If you like more contrast, you could go as far as choosing a watch with a black dial.

Here's a dressy option well within your price range:

Citizen Women's EW9990-54E Silhouette Bangle Eco Drive Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Name:  61gNeaoPVLL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  63.2 KB
    [image from amazon.com]

Is citizen known as more of a "cheap" brand? How is the quality?

Quote Originally Posted by adtims12 View Post
    Is citizen known as more of a "cheap" brand? How is the quality?
    Affordable but high quality watch brands include - but are not limited to:
    Seiko
    Citizen
    Orient
    Tissot
    Hamilton

I'd buy a watch from any of those brands without hesitation. Seiko, Citizen, and Orient are Japanese brands; Tissot and Hamilton are Swiss-owned. (historical note: Hamilton was once the leading U.S. manufacturer but is now part of the Swatch Group that also includes Tissot and Omega) I sometimes feel like a shill for Seiko, but I have five of them and can vouch for their quality and longevity.

Others may pipe up with brand suggestions; I just stuck with the big names that are readily available in the US.

Brands that aren't bad, but can be seriously overpriced:
    Movado (used to be a quality brand, now considered a fashion brand)
    Bulova (ditto)
    rambutan likes this.

Thread Information