Alpina AlpinerX Smartwatch -- Unboxing, Initial Impressions, Mini-Review

Thread: Alpina AlpinerX Smartwatch -- Unboxing, Initial Impressions, Mini-Review

Alpina AlpinerX Smartwatch -- Unboxing, Initial Impressions, Mini-Review

Hi -- finally received the Alpina AlpinerX, which aims to be "The Most Beautiful Outdoors Smartwatch" -- have they succeeded?

I wanted something to use when doing outdoor sports like skiing, mountain biking etc.. And on initial examination, there's some good, some bad, some slightly ugly... so here we go:

Name:  Alpiner X 1.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  3.75 MB

Name:  Aplinerx 2.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  3.85 MB

Initial impressions were not bad -- this is not a "high finish" watch, but of course if I compare it to the old (purely digital) Suunto that it is supposed to replace, then it actually looks respectably horological.

Bi-directional bezel action was pretty smooth, and the overall build quality feels decent. It's a lighter watch than you'd think just looking at it, but it also has a bit of heft and doesn't feel flimsy.

Name:  Alpinerx 3.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  3.68 MB

The colour combination of the hands / dial / strap etc. were all the ones I selected via the Kickstarter interface and it looked... ok -- but the big surprise was the strap I had chosen. Online this looked basically black with a slight tint of blue & with orange stitching, but in reality it is very blue -- much lighter than I was expecting -- which to my eyes doesn't suit the watch quite as well as if it were darker. The quality of the strap seems excellent though, and it wears comfortably...

Name:  Alpinerx 4.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  3.09 MB

Caseback looks attractive to me, and adds to the solid feel of the watch... It comes with 100M water resistance, which seems more than needed in a non-diver...

Name:  Alpinerx 5.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  4.30 MB

And here we come to my first real complaint re the watch. Notice that the "digital" part of the display isn't really legible at all... I pressed various buttons thinking they might light it up, but it looked the same....

Name:  Alpiner 6.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  3.33 MB

Maybe it wasn't on yet?.... And how did you set the time, etc.? So off to the manual... A bit frustrating at first as the thick Alpina booklet it came with had instructions on dealing with other automatic watches from Alpina, and absolutely nothing about this watch...

But I downloaded the AlpinerX App on my iPhone and paired the watch with it as recommended in the quick-start pamphlet and, lo and behold, the time was automatically synced to my phone... So far so good.

But the digital part of the display (now showing the updated time) continued to be barely visible in most lighting. At this point, I seriously thought I had been sent a defective watch :- (

Name:  Alpiner 7.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  4.02 MB

Just to make sure what was going on I took the AlpinerX into a closet, and somewhat to my surprise it lit up nicely.

Name:  Alpiner 8.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  2.79 MB

Name:  Alpiner 9.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  3.02 MB

So then my guess was that the sensor for calibrating the lighting conditions had been set incorrectly, so that the backlight came on in darker conditions but not enough to make it very legible in lighter situations...

Then I belatedly discovered an accompanying letter that gave details for how to access the AlpinerX user-guide online -- so that's where it was!

To my relief I found out that there is a setting in the App where you can change the backlight duration and, most importantly, intensity. I immediately changed the intensity from low to high, and then it became much more visible, though only when the backlight button is pressed. Here's the difference with and without the backlight on:

Name:  Alpiner 10.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  3.50 MB

Name:  Apiner 11.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  3.45 MB

So is this "The Most Beautiful Outdoors Smartwatch"? -- that might be a bit of a stretch, but is it an attractive watch in the "smart space"? Yes.

I've been wearing the watch for a couple of hours so far, and it feels comfortable. Have just flipped through the different watch features, but haven't really checked them out yet. The initial Altimeter reading seems pretty accurate though...

All in all, the watch is beginning to grow on me. I think the "surprise" blue strap and, more importantly, the problems reading the digital display were a damper on my initial reaction. I do worry a bit that my putting the backlight intensity to high will reduce the battery life below the already short two years that Alpina is indicating...

I do wish that the digital display was more legible without the backlight on, though I guess this is meant to cut down on energy use, and the idea is that mostly you will just look at the hands unless checking out a special function..

One of the "smart" features of the watch is that it is supposed to give you notifications of messages on your phone -- this doesn't seem to me to be a very useful function, so I will likely try to turn it off. In the meantime the watch has made a few beeps over the past couple of hours, which I think may be notifications but it's not clear of what -- they didn't seem to correspond to texts / calls / emails / on-phone notifications.

Anyway, I'll get used to the watch and play around with its features and post an update at a later point.

P.S. When I look at this post using the preview function, all my pictures are a bit enlarged and are cut off on the right. Weird. I'm posting in the same way I normally do using pictures from the same phone, so not sure why this is happening. I'm guessing that this is some transient glitch that will be corrected once I post, but if not then that's why some of the pictures seem a bit askew. The key stuff is still there though...
    Last edited by watchingandwaiting; July 18th, 2018 at 13:25.

Re: Alpina AlpinerX Smartwatch -- Unboxing, Initial Impressions, Mini-Review

P.P.S. So the pictures turned out fine, but for some reason that last picture of my Steinhart Ocean One Bronze (taken this morning and posted in the Dive Watch Forum) ended up as an "attached image" in the post. I had added the Steinhart picture (taken earlier today) to test if it was also distorted on the right in preview (it was), but I thought I took it out. When I go to "edit post" I can't see how to remove it (while it looks like I could remove the other pictures). In any case, nothing wrong with Steinhart... except it doesn't belong in my AlpinerX review... If anyone knows how I can correct that, and remove the final picture form the post, let me know. Thanks!

*Update -- got it sorted!*
    Last edited by watchingandwaiting; July 18th, 2018 at 14:23.

Great review!
    Let's bundle comments together -> https://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/a...l#post46681651
    "The first and still only vintage LED watch maniac in the East Block" www.crazywatches.pl

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a great review!
    Have you had any issues syncing? Mine's been having issues for the last couple of weeks. Sent in a ticket with alpina.

Quote Originally Posted by petesavva View Post
    That's a great review!
    Have you had any issues syncing? Mine's been having issues for the last couple of weeks. Sent in a ticket with alpina.
    No issues with my iPhone ... have you been able to resolve the issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1. Alpina Aplinerx (2018)
    2. Citizen Multi-Alarm World – 0020033 / 41-5014 / GN-4W-U (1980)
    3. Christopher Ward C60 Trident C60-42-AUTO-SKRS (2015)
    4. Certina DS Action Diver (ref: C013.407.11.051.00) (2015)
    5. SeaGull King Dragon Automatic - 2012
    6. Omega Speed Master Professional Cal. 1861 (1998)
    7. Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR (2017)
    8. Sinn 144 St Sa (2017)
    9. Seiko SARB033 (2017)
    10. Suunto 9 (2018)

Great review ... I am enjoying my watch more than I expected. I went to a conference in Las Vegas and decided to take it since I wanted to have something that looks nice but I was also planning on running. It worked out great. Between running and walking to and from the conference it was awesome being able to track the steps (some days 25,000+). Also, I got some compliments at a few of the watch stores!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1. Alpina Aplinerx (2018)
    2. Citizen Multi-Alarm World – 0020033 / 41-5014 / GN-4W-U (1980)
    3. Christopher Ward C60 Trident C60-42-AUTO-SKRS (2015)
    4. Certina DS Action Diver (ref: C013.407.11.051.00) (2015)
    5. SeaGull King Dragon Automatic - 2012
    6. Omega Speed Master Professional Cal. 1861 (1998)
    7. Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR (2017)
    8. Sinn 144 St Sa (2017)
    9. Seiko SARB033 (2017)
    10. Suunto 9 (2018)

Thread Information