Alpina Startimer Crown

Thread: Alpina Startimer Crown

Alpina Startimer Crown

Just bought a Startimer from a forum member and while the watch is in great condition I'm not sure about the screw-in crown. I have a Tudor Gransport that features the Rolex Triplock insulating system which contains a couple of gaskets that you can feel compressing when you screw in the crown. When I screw the Startimer crown in it feels like it just reaches a hard, metal on metal stopping point. Just trying to determine whether this is normal. I'm a little concerned about immersing it in water until I'm sure that it is sealing.

Re: Alpina Startimer Crown

See the thread below:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f478/an...3497634?page=1

I have the same concerns with the crown. Fast forward 7 months from when I started the thread and I feel like the screw down mechanism is headed again for imminent failure. I plan to take it to the dealer and see what if anything they can do to fix this permanently. I'm very dissatisfied with the quality and it has ruined my love of this watch.

Brought my watch to the dealer today, they agree the crown is not right (AGAIN!) and are sending it back for service. This time it better be fixed for good, not sure why this is such a problem issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately my Startimer has exactly the same problem. In my initial review of the watch (on this forum) I mentioned how industrial the crown action was. At first I thought this was down to me winding the watch as I was screwing in the crown. This became worse and not long after I assumed I had cross threaded the crown as it became really stiff and hard to engage. When it did catch it would turn perhaps a few millimeters before stopping. Unscrewing it was even harder as it felt like it had seized, with exactly the same metal on metal feeling that the OP described.

I spoke to local repairer and to the Alpina AD (Ogdens in York). As I'd bought it from a grey market dealer in the US I didn't think I would be covered and resigned my self to paying for the repair. Both were sympathetic and agreed to look at it, but both also told me to keep my money, at least for now as the problem didn't affect the watch and the crown can be used and if left unscrewed it does still work. In hindsight they're right, but this has left a bitter taste. I love the watch, but I don't really want to have to live with it. I know that at some point in the future I'll have to get it fixed.

Having said all that I've bought a second Startimer, but I find I baby the crown, almost to the point of trying to avoid using it at all. It's a quartz so its easier to do, but for watches costing this much I'd like to think they can stand up to normal use without developing what seems to be a common fault

Thread Information