Any issues with screw down crown on Alpina watch?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Any issues with screw down crown on Alpina watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any issues with screw down crown on Alpina watch?

I purchased an Alpina Startimer Automatic 44mm from an authorized (brick & mortar) dealer in late 2015. After about 5 months, the crown on the watch would no longer screw down. I returned the watch to the dealer, and they were able to send it out for repair under warranty, which took 4 agonizing months.

After receiving the watch back, the issue is fixed, however I feel like it still difficult to get the threads to engage when screwing down the crown, so I'm afraid I'm going to damage the watch again given more time.

I have other watches (Alpina Seastrong Diver 300, Christopher Ward, Shinola) with screw down crowns, and the process seems much easier and smoother.

Has anyone else experienced this same difficulty? Am I missing a trick to get the threads to engage easier?

I love this watch and the last thing I want to do is wreck it again and have to wait another 4 months for it to be fixed, or worse yet have it break once it's out of warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Re: Any issues with screw down crown on Alpina watch?

What i do is I will press the crown in while turning the other way (unscrew) until i feel a 'click', then I start to screw the crown in. You can also apply a little bit of silicone grease on the tube thread for smoother action.

I have notice no issues with mine, but I also press down gently while I am turning until I feel the threads seat into the crown shaft.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KazeKei View Post
    What i do is I will press the crown in while turning the other way (unscrew) until i feel a 'click', then I start to screw the crown in. You can also apply a little bit of silicone grease on the tube thread for smoother action.
    Hmm, that's interesting, I'll give that a try. I'm now afraid to push the crown in too far before I start to screw it in, so perhaps this will help find the right spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    I have notice no issues with mine, but I also press down gently while I am turning until I feel the threads seat into the crown shaft.
    Thanks, I feel like I have been pressing down gently since I received the watch, but can't help but feel like I was at least part of the problem the first time. It always feels to me like I have to push harder than I should have to in order for the threads to catch, hence my worry.

That is solid advice based on the "click".

Alpina do have a well designed, crown and tube system. It's one of the best I've experienced, and that is based on over 30 years of collecting experience. I've never needed silicone grease on any Alpina crown tube though. They have all been butter smooth and I've owned a few.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by j111dja; August 21st, 2016 at 18:29.
    gbpack1997 likes this.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I tried to tighten down my 44mm Startimer Sunburst Crown and I treat my watches very well. Suddenly the crown pops out again. The threads are made of butter or what do I know. Alpina is the worst watchbrand I have ever dealt with. Their watches are horrible quality and their customer service is the worst I`ve ever experienced. They respond a month late, that`s if they respond at all. Also my watch ran 15 seconds fast a day when new.
    I bought the watch through Jomashop so they won`t give me any warranty and Jomashop doesn`t cover case damage. So i gave my watch to my local watch repair shop. Now he has to order the parts and because only the case plus crown tube can be replaced it`s a 180 euros. I paid 650 USD for the watch. Never buying anything from them Alpina and Frederiqe Constant ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil9lives View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. I tried to tighten down my 44mm Startimer Sunburst Crown and I treat my watches very well. Suddenly the crown pops out again. The threads are made of butter or what do I know. Alpina is the worst watchbrand I have ever dealt with. Their watches are horrible quality and their customer service is the worst I`ve ever experienced. They respond a month late, that`s if they respond at all. Also my watch ran 15 seconds fast a day when new.
    I bought the watch through Jomashop so they won`t give me any warranty and Jomashop doesn`t cover case damage. So i gave my watch to my local watch repair shop. Now he has to order the parts and because only the case plus crown tube can be replaced it`s a 180 euros. I paid 650 USD for the watch. Never buying anything from them Alpina and Frederiqe Constant ever again.
    I beg to differ but we are all open to our own opinions.

Regarding the timekeeping, +15 seconds a day is pretty accurate for a non chronometer rated movement. (My Rolex ran around the same after a recent Rolex service. It did go back as it is a chronometer). You may find that the movement will settle down after several weeks to a more accurate rate.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yeah but my Longines Hydroconquest which basically has the same movement (one is ETA 2824-2 and the other SW200) runs dead on and doesn`t loose or gain anything measurably for me. I wouldn`t even care about the timekeeping if the crown didn`t break. I relly enjoyed the watch but that just makes me sad.

Gave this a try this morning and it worked like a charm! Made things very easy, and no concerns about pushing in too hard.

Thanks KazeKei!!
    Last edited by gbpack1997; August 22nd, 2016 at 14:03.
    KazeKei likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information