Bad Dial on Alpina Regulator...What should I do?

Thread: Bad Dial on Alpina Regulator...What should I do?

Bad Dial on Alpina Regulator...What should I do?

I bought this watch from Certified Watch Store and there are some problems: one piece of lume has a line through it another has a little blob next to it (like a Vostok), there is a spec of black dust and the minute hand is scratched in three places. This all sounds worse than it is but damn, if this watch was perfect $300 and whatever I paid would have been a steal. I am not sure what I should do...I think they are sold out...could I get a discount? Would Alpina fix it (I am guessing no since CWS is probably grey market)? Seems like FC and Alpina have a lot of dial problems...maybe I've just seen bad examples, but this is number 3 out of maybe 10 I have looked at in person.

Name:  IMG_0149.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  1.32 MB

Re: Bad Dial on Alpina Regulator...What should I do?

If Grey Market, Alpina will fix it, for a price.

I am definitely not going to send the watch to Alpina. Their quality control is bad and the cost to replace the dial would likely be more than the $300 I paid.

I am struggling with the decision. I really like the way the watch fits on my wrist, it is also my first ceramic watch and regulator. It has a modified ETA 2895-2 top grade movement...which is more expensive to buy on its own than the whole watch.

On the other hand, it has several small flaws and if I keep the watch I will need to shell out $135 for a black replacement band (can't stand the white one). I also told myself I wasn't to buy cheap watches anymore, as in general, I rather have one nice watch than 6 cheap ones.

I am going to see if I can get a discount off of the price I paid...probably a long shot but that might be the best solution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Might as well include some pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rivarama View Post
    I bought this watch from Certified Watch Store and there are some problems: one piece of lume has a line through it another has a little blob next to it (like a Vostok), there is a spec of black dust and the minute hand is scratched in three places. This all sounds worse than it is but damn, if this watch was perfect $300 and whatever I paid would have been a steal. I am not sure what I should do...I think they are sold out...could I get a discount? Would Alpina fix it (I am guessing no since CWS is probably grey market)? Seems like FC and Alpina have a lot of dial problems...maybe I've just seen bad examples, but this is number 3 out of maybe 10 I have looked at in person.
    When thewatchery.com still existed I had an issue with two microscopic pieces of foreign matter on the dial of a not cheap watch. I didn't ask for anything but they promptly gave me 10% back which was a rather good chunk of change. I currently have a Citizen with a spec of something on the dial but I didn't bother with doing anything as it's not very noticeable and it's a cheap Citizen. I think the most noticeable issue on that Alpina is the blob on the lume marker. You'd have to decide if you can live with it for nothing or a small discount. If you try to sell it down the road some people will definitely not buy it because of that where others won't care. For me I can generally deal with visual defects to some degree as long as the watch is mechanically sound. Eventually it's going to accumulate scrapes and such from wear.

Thread Information