A Cat, Gravity, and an Alpina Alpiner Chronograph (but good news!)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Myron

Thread: A Cat, Gravity, and an Alpina Alpiner Chronograph (but good news!)

A Cat, Gravity, and an Alpina Alpiner Chronograph (but good news!)

A few months ago I take my watch off before jumping in the shower. You know, routine stuff, no big deal.

The days of the humans in my place are usually long, so we have a "food robot" for the cat. He's a big boy with a big boy appetite and he is a persistent beggar. It's necessary. Whatever, he's a good dog... cat, whatever. And one time, for fun, I switched his collar for my SNK to keep it wound. (Just kidding, he's too fat for a 37mm dial.)

Well the robot didn't show up for work, or its batteries were dead, or the food was out, or something. And my then-kinda-new Alpina Alpiner Chronograph was on a shelf above the sink, and the furball, who is preternaturally a stalker to kill and interminably in search of food, was creeping at me while I bathed. Apparently he witnessed this deliberate placement of valuable property.

Tink.

NO HE DID NOT JUST ... YES HE DID.

I pop my head out of the shower and he's on top of a 5-foot shelf, staring stoically at me, if not with a hint of pride for getting my attention. My Alpina hit the ceramic tile floor. Though there was no evidence he did it, no smoking gun or fur on the watch, there were no gravitational tremors that would have forced the chrono laterally off of its careful positioning.

So I got lucky -- no dent, no scratch, no evidence of the impact. The cat escaped revenge.

SKIP TWO MONTHS.

I rotate watches, and sometimes with travel a watch goes unused for a week or three. I usually wear this watch at least thrice per week as it's my versatile workhorse black-strapped work watch. About a week ago I notice the rotor in the watch was louder than usual. A few days ago I hear clicking. I let the watch totally unwind, but the rotor and hand-winding both worked this morning. Today, the clicking was intolerable: if I simply raised or lowered the watch quickly with the dial flat, it clicked obviously. So I took it in.

Who knows if this was the cat's fault or a fluke watch (bought grey market 5-6 months ago), but I blame him anyway, because he sleeps a lot.

The watch repairman had a confident instinct that sounded on point -- the rotor screw was loose or something. Made sense. He put my watch on some awesome cool techie sensor thing, though, and gave me the good news -- the watch was running on time. Really on time. So an hour later, I come back. It's all good, he said. "It was hard, though... not messing up the timing while fixing the rotor. It's running at zero seconds off."

For someone that keeps their watches wound but doesn't care for the small things (yet?)... frikken' cool surprise!

I'm in DC, so I'm happy to refer the shop I took it to if you're local. Good/quick repairs, great people, and AD for many great brands.

Okay, I'll shut up. Just had to share.

Re: A Cat, Gravity, and an Alpina Alpiner Chronograph (but good news!)

Very nice. My heart would have stopped stone cold if that would have been me. Glad everything worked out with no collateral damage.

Most excellent line BTW-
    but I blame him anyway, because he sleeps a lot.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I get nervous when I lightly whack a watch here and there. Good to know that these things are built to take a bit of a beating. Glad it all worked out for you

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So glad for your happy ending. I live with a similarly motivated feline, and one day he knocked my Sinn 856 off the kitchen counter to get my attention. It was apparently time for second lunch. Anyway, the Sinn stopped running immediately. The next time I was in the neighborhood I took it to my watchmaker and upon removing the caseback he immediately identified the problem. The hairspring was tangled somehow. He gently picked up the whole escape wheel hairspring assembly, unjangled the hairspring, and put it back together. The watch ran perfectly again.

Fast forward a couple years and the same kitty lost a "doohickey" from an Omega 53 Fat Arrow. You know that little caseback movement holder/spring thing that looks a lot like a milk ring? Yup, batted it right off the counter and into the 4th dimension. I still hope it turns up someday.

Here is the perpetrator:

Myron
    Nokie likes this.
    Kind Regards,

Myron

^^^^^

NIce picture.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    ^^^^^

NIce picture.
    Ha! That picture IS perfect... it captures the vindictive nature perfectly. Maybe he's just jealous of the watches. I guess I could use him as a living watch winder...

Just one point of clarification if I may: was this the Alpiner 4 Chronograph or just a regular Alpiner Chronograph? The reason I ask is because the 4 is supposed to be ISO compliant for shock resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    ^^^^^

NIce picture.
    Haha, thanks Nokie. I was working at the strap-making bench one day when I noticed he had crawled into my light box. I guess with the lights it was probably a little warmer in there, and you know cats and boxes... So there he was, perfectly posed in a light box. I picked up my camera and snapped the pic. Never in a million years could you get a cat to pose for you like that!

Myron
    Kind Regards,

Myron

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder16 View Post
    Just one point of clarification if I may: was this the Alpiner 4 Chronograph or just a regular Alpiner Chronograph? The reason I ask is because the 4 is supposed to be ISO compliant for shock resistance.
    Alpina Alpiner Chronograph -- not the 4. For what it's worth, the watch was still operating at chronometer standards according to my watch guy (near zero), well after the fall and loose rotor.

This watch, though I'm relatively new so the link may not work: http://cdn2.jomashop.com/media/catal...al-750b4e6.jpg

Thread Information