Frederique Constant Classics Automatic Silver Dial Gold-Plated Mens Watch 303MC4P5

Thread: Frederique Constant Classics Automatic Silver Dial Gold-Plated Mens Watch 303MC4P5

Frederique Constant Classics Automatic Silver Dial Gold-Plated Mens Watch 303MC4P5

I am a new FC owner and use an auto-winder due to my sedentary lifestyle. According to a different website, my watch requires 650 TPD and uses both CW and CCW. if I set my winder to do only CW (or only CCW), will it wind properly, or is it mandatory to use both directions?

If I choose the CW+CCW option on my winder for nighttime winding, it will deliver 1050 turns before I start using the watch in the morning. Is that OK?

Thanks in advance...Julian

Re: Frederique Constant Classics Automatic Silver Dial Gold-Plated Mens Watch 303MC4P5

Just set it to CW or CCW, not both and if it says 650 TPD for your watch, (and most mean one direction), set it for that number and you will be fine. Never try and overwind.

Most good automatics will go at least 30 hours plus before they need to be wound.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

KAW

Re: Frederique Constant Classics Automatic Silver Dial Gold-Plated Mens Watch 303MC4P5

Quote Originally Posted by jkoplen View Post
    I am a new FC owner and use an auto-winder due to my sedentary lifestyle. According to a different website, my watch requires 650 TPD and uses both CW and CCW. if I set my winder to do only CW (or only CCW), will it wind properly, or is it mandatory to use both directions?

If I choose the CW+CCW option on my winder for nighttime winding, it will deliver 1050 turns before I start using the watch in the morning. Is that OK?

Thanks in advance...Julian
    I would say it's marginally better to use CW+CCW for automatic watches that have bidirectional winding simply because it provides a more even distribution of wear when on the winder. That said, I doubt a bidirectional watch has ever actually been damaged by being wound consistently in one direction more than another. Are you querying this because your winder does not have a setting for 650 TPD with CW+CCW? If 1050 TPD is the nearest setting on your winder that is > 650 TPD then I would recommend using that setting on the days when you're not wearing the watch. Automatic watches use a slip bridle to allow the winding mechanism to continue to turn even when the watch has a full power reserve, so you cannot overwind it. This is how it has to be if you think about it. You can't expect people to take their watch off or remain perfectly still for long periods when they think their watch may be fully wound. You will however introduce some additional wear if you routinely wind the watch too much. If you get the watch serviced every 5 years or so then this won't be a problem. Remember that 650 TPD is required to fully wind the watch from no power reserve. You shouldn't need this on days when you're wearing the watch, even with a sedentary lifestyle, although it depends on what settings your winder offers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

KAW, thank you. What you say fits with my intuition/best guess. I wear the watch every day and put it into the winder at night. Without the winder, it was stopping in the wee hours of the morning about twice a week. Since the stem on this watch is very hard to turn, I was never sure I had it fully wound.

For the CW+CCW, the winder does two sessions of 1050 turns, 12 hours apart (3 hours of winding separated by 9 hours of rest). That's how I reached the 1050 turns each night. I am considering the use of an electric timer and set it each night for 2 hours, giving me about 700 turns. I'm afraid if I use it only every other night, I may run out of power on the "off" night. Of course, I could always give that a try. I am very much a newbie at this game.

Thanks. As a newcomer, I just didn't know exactly how to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Just set it to CW or CCW, not both and if it says 650 TPD for your watch, (and most mean one direction), set it for that number and you will be fine. Never try and overwind.

Most good automatics will go at least 30 hours plus before they need to be wound.
    Thanks, Nokie. That helps.

Julian

Welcome to the forums!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

KAW

Quote Originally Posted by jkoplen View Post
    KAW, thank you. What you say fits with my intuition/best guess. I wear the watch every day and put it into the winder at night. Without the winder, it was stopping in the wee hours of the morning about twice a week. Since the stem on this watch is very hard to turn, I was never sure I had it fully wound.

For the CW+CCW, the winder does two sessions of 1050 turns, 12 hours apart (3 hours of winding separated by 9 hours of rest). That's how I reached the 1050 turns each night. I am considering the use of an electric timer and set it each night for 2 hours, giving me about 700 turns. I'm afraid if I use it only every other night, I may run out of power on the "off" night. Of course, I could always give that a try. I am very much a newbie at this game.
    If the watch was stopping a couple of times per week then you won't need to wind it each night. The FC303 has a 38 hour power reserve so you should easily get 48 hours of use when starting with a fully wound watch before needing to use a winder (if you're wearing it each day). I'd suggest using the watch winder every other night initially and see how that goes. Alternatively, if you can reduce the number of turns on the winder then you probably only need 350 TPD (1 hour) to top up the power reserve each night. When winding manually via the crown you can usually hear the faint click of the slip bridle when the watch is fully wound if you want to confirm the watch has a full power reserve. Again though, if you follow the manufacturer's guidance on servicing intervals then I doubt 1050 TPD will do any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by KAW View Post
    If the watch was stopping a couple of times per week then you won't need to wind it each night. The FC303 has a 38 hour power reserve so you should easily get 48 hours of use when starting with a fully wound watch before needing to use a winder (if you're wearing it each day). I'd suggest using the watch winder every other night initially and see how that goes. Alternatively, if you can reduce the number of turns on the winder then you probably only need 350 TPD (1 hour) to top up the power reserve each night. When winding manually via the crown you can usually hear the faint click of the slip bridle when the watch is fully wound if you want to confirm the watch has a full power reserve. Again though, if you follow the manufacturer's guidance on servicing intervals then I doubt 1050 TPD will do any harm.
    Sadly, the watch stopped again last night. I had fully wound it on the auto-winder for two nights preceding the stoppage. It has never stopped when being worn or on the winder, so I suspect there is something wrong with its ability to store reserve power.

I am currently awaiting an authorization form from Jomashop to return it for repair under warranty. I have had it 3 months. I am seriously considering purchasing another quality watch and then selling my present one after it is repaired. I have become spoiled for a nice-looking, decent quality automatic watch on my wrist.

Do you dare mention any favored sources for purchase? It would have to be online mail order.

Incidentally, thank you for your good advice. I think it would be spot on if the watch were not defective.

Thread Information