Frederique Constant Classics Heartbeat as a Dress/Tux/Suit Watch?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stevenliu0923
  • 1 Post By mpalmer

Thread: Frederique Constant Classics Heartbeat as a Dress/Tux/Suit Watch?

Frederique Constant Classics Heartbeat as a Dress/Tux/Suit Watch?

Hi all, since learning about Frederique Constant a couple of years ago, I've fell in love with the heartbeat collection! As my signature suggests, my collection is mostly (maybe exclusively) sports watches (the Spectre Seamaster can fly under the radar with a leather strap due to its simplicity and vintage look, but its still a hefty sports watch imo..), and I've been looking for something a bit more dressy.

I love the Cartier Santos 100 (medium) on leather and the Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso, but I'm young and trying to save up for an AP Royal Oak so I'm looking to spend considerably less on a dress watch that I'll fall in love with, but be able to live with not wearing regularly. Having seen the Classics Heartbeat in person after peeking at it online from time to time, I really do love the look!

I simply want to hear your all's opinion on the classics heartbeat (namely this model: https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch...at-fc-315m4p6/ or https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch...-fc-312mc4s36/ )

For those who own one, what are your thoughts on it as a dress watch/worn with a tux? How is the movement reliability (especially compared to what I'm used to with Rolex/Omega)? How is the durability of the watch and the alligator strap? And any and all other comments are welcome!

Thank you all!

*EDIT: Also, if there are any other FC options that any of you think I should consider, please post! (also recommendations of something similar from a different company as well!)
    Last edited by SaMaster14; March 20th, 2018 at 17:36.
    ~SaMaster14

Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Omega Seamaster 300 "Spectre" 007 Limited Edition 233.32.41.21.01.001
    Omega Speedmaster Racing (rubber strap, yellow) 326.32..40.50.06.001
     Watch Series 4 - 44mm Stainless Steel & Ceramic (Black) - Sapphire Crystal - GPS+LTE
    Tudor
    1959 Vintage Two-Tone Oyster Prince Automatic - Alligator Strap
    Tag Heuer Link Automatic Chronograph (blue face) - Calibre 16

Re: Frederique Constant Classics Heartbeat as a Dress/Tux/Suit Watch?

I personally do not own the heartbeat but I do own a similar looking watch that does not have the window and another dress watch that has a huge window for the skeleton. In my opinion I would just save up and get an AP when you can. If you really want a watch (cheaper than the FC) that looks like that I'd recommend either an Orient skeleton or a tissot tradition. Both offer a window of the movement and are relatively dressy. FC wise I like their moonphase quartz just because of the design of the dial...not advocating the quartz movement though.
    SaMaster14 likes this.

I think they are handsome watches, particularly the no date model you referenced. I actually quite like ‘open heart’ watches when done well. If you like the look, I do not think you can go wrong.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stevenliu0923 View Post
    I personally do not own the heartbeat but I do own a similar looking watch that does not have the window and another dress watch that has a huge window for the skeleton. In my opinion I would just save up and get an AP when you can. If you really want a watch (cheaper than the FC) that looks like that I'd recommend either an Orient skeleton or a tissot tradition. Both offer a window of the movement and are relatively dressy. FC wise I like their moonphase quartz just because of the design of the dial...not advocating the quartz movement though.
    The AP is definitely something down the road, this purchase wouldn't really put a dent in my AP progress, but I do feel that I would like a nice tuxedo/dress watch that can also be worn casually.

I will look at the Tissot as well!

Also, for FC, I've heard ADs sometimes give something like 20% off MSRP, and you can get much lower for new FCs on the grey market. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    I think they are handsome watches, particularly the no date model you referenced. I actually quite like ‘open heart’ watches when done well. If you like the look, I do not think you can go wrong.
    I do love the heartbeat look, and FC does it the best I've personally seen!

I usually never plan on selling the watches I own, so I don't really care about resale value (as long as it doesn't really dilute/destroy the brand recognition...), so if I could swing one of these at a good enough discount, I'll probably jump on it!

On another note, I'm in London until mid-May, and I know it would probably be much more expensive to purchase here, would I be better off purchasing somewhere like in France or Italy (I'll be traveling) vs. waiting for when I return to the US/buying online?
    ~SaMaster14

Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Omega Seamaster 300 "Spectre" 007 Limited Edition 233.32.41.21.01.001
    Omega Speedmaster Racing (rubber strap, yellow) 326.32..40.50.06.001
     Watch Series 4 - 44mm Stainless Steel & Ceramic (Black) - Sapphire Crystal - GPS+LTE
    Tudor
    1959 Vintage Two-Tone Oyster Prince Automatic - Alligator Strap
    Tag Heuer Link Automatic Chronograph (blue face) - Calibre 16

Thread Information