New to fine watches - need advice on an Alpina Extreme Diver

Thread: New to fine watches - need advice on an Alpina Extreme Diver

New to fine watches - need advice on an Alpina Extreme Diver

Hello.

I'm new to this site, and also to the world of fine watches and in the learning process right now. I've come across an Alpina Extreme Diver from a reputable local jewelry/watch store in my area (Norhtern NJ/New York City). I need help determining if I'm over-paying for the watch. I'm actually looking to get the watch as a special occasion gift for my brother-in-law, who is not a diver, but apparently likes to collect watches, although I think he's a beginner collector himself.

Can anyone let me know how I can determine what price range I should expect to pay for this watch? (i.e., if I'm getting a reasonable price or getting ripped off?)

I tried to post an image of the watch I'm referring to.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New to fine watches - need advice on an Alpina Extreme Diver

Quote Originally Posted by allwatchedout View Post
    Hello.

I'm new to this site, and also to the world of fine watches and in the learning process right now. I've come across an Alpina Extreme Diver from a reputable local jewelry/watch store in my area (Norhtern NJ/New York City). I need help determining if I'm over-paying for the watch. I'm actually looking to get the watch as a special occasion gift for my brother-in-law, who is not a diver, but apparently likes to collect watches, although I think he's a beginner collector himself.

Can anyone let me know how I can determine what price range I should expect to pay for this watch? (i.e., if I'm getting a reasonable price or getting ripped off?)

I tried to post an image of the watch I'm referring to.

Thank you!
    Hey there. Would you happen to know the model number of the watch you're looking at?
    I've been able to find the same model online on a rubber strap, but not on the mesh bracelet.

In any case, the rubber strap model is available on Amazon for around $900. I'd imagine the mesh bracelet will be $100-$200 more, and of course you'll pay more buying from an AD.

EDIT: Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Alpina-AL725L.../dp/B00NU0K2J6
    Last edited by royalpig180; April 18th, 2017 at 20:15.

Re: New to fine watches - need advice on an Alpina Extreme Diver

[QUOTE=royalpig180;40911738]Hey there. Would you happen to know the model number of the watch you're looking at?
    I've been able to find the same model online on a rubber strap, but not on the mesh bracelet.

In any case, the rubber strap model is available on Amazon for around $900. I'd imagine the mesh bracelet will be $100-$200 more, and of course you'll pay more buying from an AD.

Hey guys. I'm also replying to this thread because I literally just bought the non chronograph version of this watch yesterday here in Canada for around $600 USD (before tax) brand new. The one I purchased was actually on the full stainless steel band as well and it was on sale here in Toronto at a local jewelry store. Here is the watch I purchased below,
    Name:  Alpina-Extreme-Diver-watch-2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  102.5 KB

I was searching through the forums for information on this particular watch because I'm somewhat inexperienced as well and was a bit worried that I overpaid because the classified sections on here have most sellers selling from around 500$-600$ USD. I guess I can't really feel that I overpaid as I did pay right around the average of what this watch is going for. The most important thing I guess is if you like the style and it suits your own personal taste.

I was also a little upset because two gentlemen actually walked into the same store with "Alpiner 4 GMTs" on their wrists and the one man claimed that they both paid $755 USD each before taxes. It got me pretty jealous because of the MSRP of the GMT ($2495) watches and the potentially better specs on that watch. Especially because they claimed to have paid only 155$ more than the "Extreme Diver 300" I bought for $600. This is the exact watch that both guys were wearing,
    Name:  Alpina-Alpiner-4-GMT-1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  237.8 KB

Thread Information