Sellita SW200 (Alpiner 4 GMT) accelerating time loss

Thread: Sellita SW200 (Alpiner 4 GMT) accelerating time loss

Sellita SW200 (Alpiner 4 GMT) accelerating time loss

A few weeks back I picked up an Alpiner 4 GMT which contains the Sellita SW200 movement which FC/Alpina modifies to add the GMT complication. As this is my first automatic, I have some questions about power reserve and time loss.

What I’m seeing is that when I had wind the watch after it has stopped (several days without wear), it keeps good time, losing 2-3 seconds for the first couple days of continuous wearing. However, on days 3/4/5, the watch will accelerate the time loss to ~30 seconds, then ~45 seconds, and by the end of the week I’m several minutes behind.

If I give the watch a fresh charge by hand winding, it’s accurate to 2-3 seconds again but the cycle repeats.

Does this indicate that the watch isn’t getting enough movement/recharge on its own? I work a desk job and don’t move a lot with it on while at work.

I assumed that as long as the watch is running it would keep the same time accuracy of 2-3 seconds per day. However now I’m thinking as the watch is slowly discharging energy it’s time loss accelerates?

Interested in any thoughts or feedback you can offer on what I’ve described.

Re: Sellita SW200 (Alpiner 4 GMT) accelerating time loss

Mechanical watches are not as accurate in the later stages of the Power reserve. Wear it enough to keep it wound in the beginning of the PR and it should be more accurate.

Keep in mind, too much handwinding is probably not a good idea. Use the rotor to wind it by wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FishTime View Post
    A few weeks back I picked up an Alpiner 4 GMT which contains the Sellita SW200 movement which FC/Alpina modifies to add the GMT complication. As this is my first automatic, I have some questions about power reserve and time loss.

What I’m seeing is that when I had wind the watch after it has stopped (several days without wear), it keeps good time, losing 2-3 seconds for the first couple days of continuous wearing. However, on days 3/4/5, the watch will accelerate the time loss to ~30 seconds, then ~45 seconds, and by the end of the week I’m several minutes behind.

If I give the watch a fresh charge by hand winding, it’s accurate to 2-3 seconds again but the cycle repeats.

Does this indicate that the watch isn’t getting enough movement/recharge on its own? I work a desk job and don’t move a lot with it on while at work.

I assumed that as long as the watch is running it would keep the same time accuracy of 2-3 seconds per day. However now I’m thinking as the watch is slowly discharging energy it’s time loss accelerates?

Interested in any thoughts or feedback you can offer on what I’ve described.
    Wearing the watch full time during days, and off for 9 or so hours at night, it should not run down the power reserve sufficiently to cause it to start losing minutes of time per day.

After replacing my bad movememt, my new sw200 movement is +2 spd when worn for 16 hoirs a day and resting face up for night time. It never requires hand winding. If i am not wearing it for longer than 24 hoirs i place it on a watch winder while i wear something else in rotation.

If you have warranty, I'd recommend it get serviced. It should never lose minutes per day, not require hand winding AND being worn to keep accurate time. It also sounds like it could be regulated too during service to get it from losing time. Better to run slightly fast than slow, imo.

Thread Information