Sleezy marketing by Frederique Constant on Black Friday.
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sleezy marketing by Frederique Constant on Black Friday.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sleezy marketing by Frederique Constant on Black Friday.

Hi guys,

I feel like I need to vent a bit in here..

So as you all know, Black Friday was last weekend and as so many shops do, Frederique Constant was also having a Black Friday Sale. I specifically signed up to their Newsletter in order to get notice of their deals.

Come friday, I get an e-mail pop in - the title being "80% of stock already sold out!" - reading the e-mail:

"Only 6 hours left to take advantage of our biggest sale ever. Hurry while supply lasts!"

I found an offer for the "Classics Index" (FC-303S5B6) - On the landing page of their Black Friday sale, I saw that it said "ONLY 4 LEFT!". The price was shown as reduced from €995 to €595 - with complimentary straps - a pretty good deal I guess.

Now here's where things get sketchy:

1) I check out the watch on the other part of their website (The non-black friday promotion page) and it's actually not €995, it's only €850.

2) I talk to my friend, because he was also considering getting this exact model, on his computer, the price is listed as €540 (currency converted), but without a BUY button. I thought he was being a novice PC user at first, but turns out he really was not able to buy it from his location (Denmark). No info about this anywhere though.

3) 2 hours pass, now the stock availability says only 2 left. Another hour pass, it now says only 1 left. I am really considering pulling the trigger, but I don't. I have a bad feeling and honestly the sale wasn't that special. You can get the watch for the same price on grey market.

4) I check back later in the evening (WAY past the "Only 6 hours left of the sale") - and what do you know, suddenly the stock says 3 pieces left again.

5) Their sale continues to run the entire weekend and is even extended into Monday - Stock list continues to go up and down between 1 and 4 pieces left the entire time.

Now I'm no idiot, I know that dishonest companies use this marketing technique to force sales by putting pressure on the buyer to make a quick decision - In fact, I EXPECT it from certain stores. But I definitely DO NOT expect it from someone that wants to consider them being a serious watch-manufacturer. My god, how pathetic.

If I didn't believe Frederique Constant was to be considered a low-end brand before, I certainly do now. Just imagine them offering a "Limited Edition" watch. You'll have 500 people walking around with the same "No. 5 of 25" engraving on the back.

I just lost any respect (and trust) I had for that brand after this.

Furthermore, last Friday I got in touch with their Customer Service to hear if they had any sort of explanation, the person I talked to said she would forward it internally - I have not heard anything back from anyone yet, I also highly doubt I will. Well perhaps after this post goes up, who knows.

Re: Sleezy marketing by Frederique Constant on Black Friday.

When someone adds something to their cart stock is taken/saved, that's how it works, to prevent there being no stock once you actually pay for it. There is usually a timer on how long something stays in your cart as well so it prevents someone sitting on stock, usually it's 1 hour sometimes it's more or less. Once that time passes and you still haven't paid for it the stock goes up again so it's up for grabs. As for them extending the time, it's reasonable since many people were 'grabbing stock' and not actually paying for it.
    LosAngelesTimer and Wutch like this.

That's not how their system was setup. I cross-tested with different platforms + locations + adding all available stock to cart (even more than supposedly there was) - while checking stock from different computers on different IP's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Wow, you went to all trouble, all for a watch you didn't purchase.

BTW, it's sleazy....
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Seamaster F300 169.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard 24004.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfras View Post
    Wow, you went to all trouble, all for a watch you didn't purchase.
    Hardly any "trouble" - and yes I did that to uncover what was actually going on, seems it seemed very sketchy. Which it also turned out to be.

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Quote Originally Posted by NickSW View Post
    Hardly any "trouble" - and yes I did that to uncover what was actually going on, seems it seemed very sketchy. Which it also turned out to be.
    To be now and forever known as "the watch detective".
    NapoleonDynamite likes this.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Seamaster F300 169.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard 24004.

I would be very interested to know what they say eventually

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wahlaoeh View Post
    I would be very interested to know what they say eventually

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk
    Still nothing from their end... Live-chat agent said someone would get back to me and supposedly created a ticket for this.. On the 5th of December I opened a new ticket in their support system and still haven't heard anything yet. When/If I do, I will update.

I'm sure you'll never hear back.

What are they going to do, be honest about their deception?

Glad you took the time to post this, every once in a while something of theirs catches my eye, but I can now dismiss them entirely as I have no interest in supporting such a company... at least not when it comes to the marketplace of watches where there are so many alternatives.

And you should run with that "Watch Detective" suggestion. While it sounded sarcastic, I think you should (or someone) should embrace it and make it there thing.
    Ball ~ Concord ~ Corum ~ Ebel ~ Ginault ~ Maurice Lacroix ~ Omega ~ Rolex ~ Seiko ~ Tudor

Field Marshall 15,000 of Sticky Thread OoO

Just wait until the sales come out for " January close out sale for the year". Educated myself the hard way but this is the year end sale that I'm waiting for. And by the way, it is everyone that participates in this sale. Stock has to go in order to make room for Basil in March. And if you miss out on that sale you can always get the latest and greatest from Basil. Boy I wish instead of paying taxes and over inflated insurance bills we as consumers had to buy watches. Bliss, pure bliss that would be. Kind of early but "I wish everyone a Happy Holidays and a Healthy, and profitable New Year" Sincerely, Stromboli.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information